AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

PS3 owners, you suffering with this outage?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kargo27

kargo27

Filling threads with flotsam and jetsam

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 13,517

Posted Apr. 25 2011 - 06:17 PM

I have both consoles, well all 3 if you count the wii. We mostly use the PS3 to stream Netflix but I have a few games for it as well.

What is the deal with PSN being down for so long??? Any resolution in sight? This is some fuzzed up (William)Shat(ner)!

Signature:
"At present half of the USA is working for a living and the other half just votes for a living." - VietVet

#2 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

The Thrift-Meister!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 41

Posted Apr. 25 2011 - 06:27 PM

honestly didn't even notice, have not been online in a long while, been working on the house and at work non-stop. I hate outages though, this one fubar trophies or anything?

Signature:

worshipsig1.gif

"There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men."

- Sgt Zim - Starship Troopers

"I'm the itch you can't scratch! The gas you can't pass!"

- Jack Stiles

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, never get to try again. The fall breaks them.

But some, given a chance to climb, will cling to the realm or the gods or love. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."

- Little Finger

FUAC

#3 OFFLINE   pistol pete

pistol pete

• Member ID: 20,756

Posted Apr. 25 2011 - 08:21 PM

they is a group called Anonymous ( or ANON ) that hacked the network, because they are trying to make a point over Sony taking away features of the Ps3. like the other operating system feature that you had when they first came out. now you don't have that and you had a choice to either keep it or get rid of it. but if you were to keep it you couldn't use the playstation network at all. and now you pretty much can't watch any digital media that you upload to your ps3. so if you were to get a blu-ray with the digital copy and were trying to back it up and save it on your ps3 to watch. you wouldn't be able to because Sony incorporated some kind of copyright with a company. it called Cinavia or something. it was developed so that people couldn't stream movies from their computers to the ps3 or watch pirated movies. i am sure they probably have a bunch more reasons too. those are the only ones i can think of and know about. all i know is that the network has been down since last wed. and was supposed to be back up yesterday.

Signature:
Crazy is brought to a firearm, not the other way around.

#4 OFFLINE   MidniteGT

MidniteGT

• Member ID: 23,062

Posted Apr. 25 2011 - 10:56 PM

they is a group called Anonymous ( or ANON ) that hacked the network, because they are trying to make a point over Sony taking away features of the Ps3. like the other operating system feature that you had when they first came out. now you don't have that and you had a choice to either keep it or get rid of it. but if you were to keep it you couldn't use the playstation network at all. and now you pretty much can't watch any digital media that you upload to your ps3. so if you were to get a blu-ray with the digital copy and were trying to back it up and save it on your ps3 to watch. you wouldn't be able to because Sony incorporated some kind of copyright with a company. it called Cinavia or something. it was developed so that people couldn't stream movies from their computers to the ps3 or watch pirated movies. i am sure they probably have a bunch more reasons too. those are the only ones i can think of and know about. all i know is that the network has been down since last wed. and was supposed to be back up yesterday.

Actually from what i heard there was a Custom Firmware out for the PS3(kind of a hacked and remade version of the fw out right now). Anyways this Custom Firmware made it possible for you to enter the DEBUG PSN(Which game developers such as activision use to debug games through the network). Anwyas with this debug PSN, you dont need to pay for any content on the PSN store. so there were a ton of people with this Custom fw downloading all the content(movies games ect). As far as ANON, they didn't hack the PSN, they DDoS'd Sony's websites on the 16'th just like the DDoS'd Visa and mastercard. They are hacktivist lol!

#5 OFFLINE   pistol pete

pistol pete

• Member ID: 20,756

Posted Apr. 26 2011 - 10:55 AM

well i guess i know not to listen to rumors anymore. oh well, it doesn't bother me as much as it would bother some of these young kids that grew up just playing video games online. hopefully they get it fixed soon though.

#6 OFFLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 17,136

Posted Apr. 26 2011 - 04:38 PM

You can blame Valve for the PSN outage. Notice how the outage happened right around when Portal 2 was released? They are linking Steam and PSN and the release for that was for the portal 2 release date (which is why if you bought a PS3 copy of Portal 2 you got a steam code to play on the PC as well). From everything I have been reading, this merging of services has been causing more problems then they thought there would be.

Anyways -

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   cc2001

cc2001

pathological editor

• Member ID: 16,825

Posted Apr. 27 2011 - 11:07 AM

The bigger problem is that personal data was stolen:

http://blog.us.plays...k-and-qriocity/

...we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information
that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country,
email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login,
and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip),
and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may
have been obtained.

I can do without the network, but the data compromise pisses me off.

Edited by cc2001, Apr. 27 2011 - 01:48 PM.

Signature:
The Oikos University Shooting occurred in California despite its strict gun laws. No "AWB" weapons or "high capacity" magazines were used. If you think an AWB is going to change anything other than the weapons used you're a naive sheep who doesn't deserve the freedom of living in this country.

"Law-abiding gun owners will not accept blame for the acts of violent or deranged criminals, nor do we believe that government should dictate what we can lawfully own and use to protect our families" -Wayne LaPierre

#8 OFFLINE   Aahhyes68

Aahhyes68

Just Call Me Steve....

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 300

Posted Apr. 27 2011 - 12:59 PM

I could give a shat less about the PSN but I'm pissed the PS3 won't work with my new logitech Harmony One :realmad:

How much could it have cost to put IR in the PS3 along with bluetooth ? Coupla' bucks :thumbdown:

Signature:

nra.gifNRA Life Member

crawling-bug_zps46047d17.gif

#9 OFFLINE   cc2001

cc2001

pathological editor

Posted Apr. 27 2011 - 01:48 PM

I could give a shat less about the PSN but I'm pissed the PS3 won't work with my new logitech Harmony One :realmad:

How much could it have cost to put IR in the PS3 along with bluetooth ? Coupla' bucks :thumbdown:

Logitech/Harmony makes an adapter.

Seriously though the data breach is a big deal if he/she/they really got all the data Sony thinks they got.

For example how many online accounts do you have? Retailers, forums, financial institutions, utilities, ISP, etc.? Do any of them share passwords, email, or user ids?

Edited by cc2001, Apr. 27 2011 - 01:56 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

Posted Apr. 27 2011 - 02:49 PM

I ran into the same issue with my Harmony one, but the adapter they make works great.

#11 OFFLINE   cc2001

cc2001

pathological editor

Posted Apr. 27 2011 - 03:30 PM

#12 OFFLINE   MidniteGT

MidniteGT

Posted Apr. 27 2011 - 05:32 PM

The bigger problem is that personal data was stolen:

http://blog.us.plays...k-and-qriocity/

I can do without the network, but the data compromise pisses me off.

Nerd Rant on::

It does, but this isn't the first time, reason I started buying psn cards at target... cause about a year ago people were able to lose info. The actually really bad point about your info being comprimised is the fact that they dont hash any of the information, therefore all of your info is in plain text(pretty much instead of your info looking like this asd^^$%lfkaknfofnweof*&#*&&*Dfsdf879, it looks like this John Doe, 1234 street, USA, 12FEB1978). Dont be on the XBox bandwagon saying this doesn't happen to them.. their crap gets hacked all the time too, they just are better at taking care of the important information. I have both systems

Why I am pissed at Sony is because they WILL NOT apologize. They can "regret to inform us", but they won't apologize for their horrible mistake which was inevitable, and they were already working on better secure structured servers but they were procrastinating. When George Hotz(being sued by SONY) hacked the PS3 the first several times they should of not been on their high horse thinking that their network couldn't be comprimised. George Hotz btw hacked the actual PS3(pretty much like how you would jailbreak your iphone) not the network and playstation is trying to sue him.

Nerd Rant off::

And Aahhyes68, IR is oldschool, reason it being on older devices, my phone from 2001 had IR. It would of been to much cost to put it into every system when Bluetooth rules the cordless world right now. Like said below, they make an adapter, but I would research what you buy logitech wise. Another thing is for stuff like that, go with companies such as Triton or TB(if you watch that youtube video cc2001 posted the headset around his neck is a triton ax 720 or axpro headset), 5.1 surround sound is nice!

Edited by MidniteGT, Apr. 27 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Alden

Alden

Hell, I was THERE!

• Member ID: 15,717

Contributor

Posted Apr. 27 2011 - 06:27 PM

I just heard on NPR that millions of accounts were hacked and personal information, maybe even credit card numbers, was stolen.

It's the Russians again.

Signature:

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#14 OFFLINE   MidniteGT

MidniteGT

Posted Apr. 28 2011 - 03:36 PM

It was actually a group of hackers that warned Sony if they sue George Hotz, that they would F them.... And they did. Now as far as our personal info. From my theory(imho is hopefully right and i think it is), they didn't take the information, they did this to show Sony what a sack of S@$@ they are with their hypocritical BS. Hopefully I'm right and this isn't ze Russians!

#15 OFFLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

Posted Apr. 28 2011 - 09:10 PM

It's the Russians again.

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

The Thrift-Meister!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 41

Posted Apr. 29 2011 - 06:23 PM

Here you go brother!

http://www.newegg.co...3-026-_-Product

No I am not being an arse. This remote for $12 comes with a USB IR stick that you plug into a free usb port on your PS3. Plug in the IR stick, toss the remote and enjoy your harmony! :thumb:

On to the PSN thing... I would be pissed but have not played much at all lately. Been too busy doing the bathroom and kitchen and the real job and online school classes and..... man I want to go to bed....

In any case... I was a bit pissed the other day as my bro asked to play burnout paradise. I forgot that the last system died and I had to format the HD(damn you sony!!) for the new one.

IT HAD TO DOWNLOAD OVER A GIG OF UPDATES!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!

#17 OFFLINE   MidniteGT

MidniteGT

Posted Apr. 30 2011 - 06:12 PM

FBI and some Security organizations around the world are now getting into this ordeal.

#18 OFFLINE   DMViergever

DMViergever

I look cute.

• Member ID: 15,371

Contributor

Posted May. 01 2011 - 04:32 PM

I literall just sold my Xbox360 yesterday and bought a PS3 and then came home to plug it onto the internet and got the error code, googled that and found that it was hacked and had been down a while. Not sure why the hell Gamestop didn't let me know...

Signature:

#19 OFFLINE   brigadier

brigadier

• Group:Banned
  • Member ID: 10,809

Posted May. 14 2011 - 07:02 PM

Having been caught up in copyrights and patent stuff for years, I've become a believer that there's a serious need to rethink security and laws on media protection. The world has really shifted out of the neighborhood where song and digital media protection laws are truly effective and I don't believe the current protection laws will continue to serve their originally intended purpose in the future of media development. But I also think some people are getting TOO stingy about what they want to protect, this being a great example. If I were the director of Sony, I would have hired George Hotz, not sue him. I can understand if Hotz was making the machine play ripped CDs and such, but just making it run unintended media......I'd think Sony would have every reason in the world to welcome that sort of thing.

As far as these hackers, their boldness tells me they know what they're doing and won't be easy to track down. But I am also pretty sure this was an act of punishment. Question is, will they take that punishment as far as dishing out all that info, potentially exposing Sony to billions in lawsuits? Doing that without getting caught might be tough and the hackers may not go that far for that reason. Something tells me they will do it if they safely can though, not to screw you, but to screw Sony through you.

Regarding Russians, don't laugh. I doubt they have anything to do with this, but Russian cyber criminals are numerous and put ours to shame.

One final note. Sony announced they will be putting up a new PSN and are just testing the security of it. Let's hope they hired George Hotz to help in that testing. LOL

Edited by brigadier, May. 14 2011 - 07:05 PM.

Signature:
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." Thomas Paine

"Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." Daniel Webster

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   Thumper

Thumper

The Bad Bunny

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 194

Posted May. 24 2011 - 09:12 AM

Is the PSN still down?

The guild Anonymous must have done a real whammy on it.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center