Colt Double Eagle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   euler10

euler10

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 23,246

Posted May. 09 2011 - 06:29 AM

Hey everyone! First off, just wanted to say I'm new here and have read the forum quite a bit before joining. I hope you all can put up with my dumb questions! Anyway, my local gun store has a very nice looking colt double eagle in 10mm, I believe it is the MKII. Problem is they want 795 for it and it has been sitting on their shelves for about 3 months. Should I steer clear at this price? I have been infatuated with 10mm since the first time I shot a g29 but have never owned my own handgun (I'm almost 23 years old). Just looking for a little advice from some of the seasoned 10mm pros! Thanks in advance!

#2 OFFLINE   Carne Frio

Carne Frio

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 7,048

Posted May. 09 2011 - 10:11 AM

Welcome, Euler ! I shoot my Double Eagle 10mm once in a while. They are pretty good guns.
Your price seems to be in line with asking prices on Gunbroker.com. Here is a link:

http://www.gunbroker...s...26&Items=50

#3 OFFLINE   The_Shadow

The_Shadow

• Group:10mm Staff
  • Member ID: 10,723

Posted May. 09 2011 - 10:13 AM

euler10, :welcome: to the forum!
Colt Double Eagle double action pistol...those are nice!
Go haggle the price with him start low and feel him out! You might inquire to see if it is a customer's gun on consignment or jsut one in the shop from a trade for purchase. If it is his then he might be willing to negotiate some...Start at $650! Ask about the gun's history, round count, complain about how hard it is to get ammo, his shop may not carry any...Explain that these are not being made any more and you want a shooter so parts may not be availble for repair.

Anyway you get the idea, best of luck ! Enjoy the forum! :thumb:

Signature:
The
SHADOW

The "10mm" I'm Packin', Has The Bullets Wackin', Smakin' & The Slide is Rackin' & Jackin'!
NRA Life Member
Southeast, LoUiSiAna

#4 OFFLINE   RhinoR

RhinoR

• Member ID: 8,931

Posted May. 09 2011 - 02:28 PM

Glad to have you here, Euler. If the Double Eagle is a 10mm, it is a MKII. I have three 10mm Double Eagles and enjoy two of them very much (one is a parts gun). I have relatively small hands, and years ago I made the decision to go the Colt route over the S&W 1076 direction because of the way the DE fit my hand. With the aftermarket grips of today, I would probably go S&W. IF I were you, and if the DE was going to be my only handgun and I needed to rely on it, I would definitely go S&W. First, IMO, the asking price for the DE is about $100 too high (even for a 10mm), and you should be able to find a 10xx for less money. The DE's are not that popular or rare and there's really not that much of a collector's market for them. Next, S&W still supports the 10xx's and there are parts and accessories, both factory and aftermarket available; try to find anything for the DE (ie. parts) and Colt acts like they never heard of them, and no aftermarket. Finally, the Smith's are tanks and you will have no worries shooting any power level ammunition you choose. Even though they use the same magazines and share a few common parts, the DE's are not double action Delta's and it is harder to modify them to shoot a steady diet of full power 10mm loads. Colt corrected most of the problems the Double Eagles had with the MKII changes. While they would have never been as popular as 1911's, they were a significant step in the evolution of 1911's and may have overcome the bad marketing and objections of the 1911 purists eventually. Too bad Colt dropped them.

#5 OFFLINE   euler10

euler10

Posted May. 09 2011 - 06:46 PM

Thanks a lot guys for the advice, I really appreciate it! Maybe I will try to haggle him down a bit and if that doesn't work, seek out a S&W. About 4 months ago I came across a 1076 for about 500 in excellent condition but being a poor college student I couldn't afford it at the time. By the time I had the money of course it was gone haha. I am looking for a first handgun that will suffice for both concealed carry and target practice with reloaded ammo, the Glock 29sf seems like a decent choice as I have been having a lot of trouble finding much of anything else in 10mm besides this Double Eagle, thoughts?

Thanks again everyone for both the warm welcome and great advice!

-Euler

#6 OFFLINE   RhinoR

RhinoR

• Member ID: 8,931

Posted May. 09 2011 - 10:24 PM

Reloaded ammo and G29's are not a great mix. Case support and loose chambers being the problem. Swampfox will not sell some of his ammo for use in the 29's because of this. Keep checking Gunbroker and the S&W forum for the commander size 10xx's.

I just noticed.....check the classifieds.

Edited by RhinoR, May. 09 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   euler10

euler10

Posted May. 10 2011 - 02:18 PM

Thanks RhinoR, I have read a lot about the unsupported chambers in the Glock and that certainly is a concern for me. I was going to just load down the 10mm but wheres the fun in that? I checked out the classifieds but was too late to make an offer, I guess ill just have to play the waiting game until a 1026 or 1076 shows up!

#8 OFFLINE   The_Shadow

The_Shadow

• Group:10mm Staff
  • Member ID: 10,723

Posted May. 10 2011 - 10:00 PM

While the Glock isn't a S&W 10xx...don't be affraid to consider one of them. Great pistols in a small package! :thumb:
I must have gotten lucky with my G-29 as it has a fair chamber in the factory barrel, although I did get an aftermarket StormLake 10mm stock length.
Having the 40S&W StormLake and Lone Wolf Dist. 9x25Dillon conversion adds some excitement and trigger time with this little blaster...

euler10, good luck with your decesion! :)

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center