Zero turn mowers- Husky vs Cub vs Toro vs Bad Boy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 215

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 10:11 AM

I'm in need of a residential grade zero turn mower pretty quick. The commercial grades are way beyond what I need, but the smallest residential ones are too small. I'm looking for a 42-50 inch deck, (bigger is not always better) in the $2,700-$3,500 price range.

I've used a Cub Cadet on the farm for 5 years and it's near 300 hours with no problems thus far (RZT50). I always figured when I needed to buy one I would just get one of those and be done with it but I stopped and looked at the Husqvarna RF4222f yesterday and for only $200 more it seems a little better built.

Tractor Supply sells the Bad Boy brand and they have several models that look good but they are kind of high ($4,400 for the "ZT"), and to round it off Toro (model SS4266) has some in my size and budget range.

Reading the reviews online it seems like all of them get pretty good marks.

Anyone have any opinions they would care to share, good or bad, for any brand?

Thanks in advance.

#2 OFFLINE   CRE10

CRE10

Touch it and you die!

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 14,379

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 10:27 AM

I would buy a Bad Boy if the girls came with it to mow the yard :oh yea:

Signature:
CRE10
CRETIN

"Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be.
But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price."
Lane Frost

"You mess with the bull, you get the horns."

Armory Minion  :vader:

#3 ONLINE   youngod

youngod

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 12,657

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 10:32 AM

I have a Deere. I have been happy with it. When I used it at the house before the farm it was great. Cut my mowing time in half. On the farm now I find that it may be a little small. I would like a commercial size, however the little Deere has done everything I wanted it to. I have taken it in places and thru things that really I shouldn't have.

If you are mowing flat ground and just grass, out of the ones you listed I would look at the Cub.

Signature:
Life Member NRA!

"They drew first blood"
"To Hell with them fellas, buzzard's got to eat, same as the worm."

#4 OFFLINE   SepsiS

SepsiS

Septic Brother

• Member ID: 16,868

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 01:31 PM

No Dixie Choppers?

Signature:
Freedom is lost in inches, and won in blood.
Government does not grow by seizing our freedoms, but by assuming our responsibilities." Michael Cloud

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Aahhyes68

Aahhyes68

Just Call Me Steve....

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 300

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 01:36 PM

I wish we had a piece of property large enough that I had to worry about which mower I had to buy :oh yea:

...in other words, no help here. :laugh:

Signature:

nra.gifNRA Life Member

crawling-bug_zps46047d17.gif

#6 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 01:58 PM

I've always had great luck with Toro mowers. If you can swing it, buy a commercial grade mower though. The parts will be available longer, the mower will last longer with good care, and you'll only cry over buying it once.

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

#7 OFFLINE   SepsiS

SepsiS

Septic Brother

• Member ID: 16,868

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 02:01 PM

The bitterness of poor quality long outlasts the soreness of a high price.

#8 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Member ID: 22,192

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 02:04 PM

I have a neighbor with two Huskies.....both are ok when they run. He has had problems with both of them. Fuel pumps, safety switches, blade mounting and such. I use an old Cub Cadet from the early 70's and it just keeps going. One of the huskies is zero turn and it is fast for home use.
Buy the one that has the best parts service for your area.

Signature:
In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#9 OFFLINE   nitehawk

nitehawk

• Member ID: 7,823

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 02:14 PM

IMHO.... http://www.husqvarna...-mowers/rz4623/

I have found the Husqvarna to be very good...easy to maintain....long lasting if taken care of.... :thumb: :wink:

#10 OFFLINE   CRE10

CRE10

Touch it and you die!

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 14,379

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 02:19 PM

I have found the Husqvarna to be very good...easy to maintain....long lasting if taken care of.... :thumb: :wink:

You must have a big lilly pad to mow!

#11 OFFLINE   wish2no

wish2no

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 21,647

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 02:35 PM

I have no experience with zero turn mowers but far more mowing experience than I ever wished I had. From hills and flatlands covered in trees and brush to lawn and here is what I WISH I had... I am a huge fan of the self contained pull behind mowers that you use behind an ATV. Something like the DR (they make a finish and brushcut) or at the non-professional end the Swisher. They are extremely versitile.

Signature:
“You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws….” ~ John Adams

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” [Marbury vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174,176 (1803)]

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." [Miranda vs. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491 (1966)]

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]

"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights." [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

"Constitutional rights may not be denied simply because of hostility to their assertion and exercise: Vindication of conceded constitutional rights cannot be made dependent upon any theory that it is less expensive to deny them than to afford them."
[Watson vs. City of Memphis, 373 US 526, 535 (1963)]

"The state cannot diminish Rights of the people." [Hurtado vs. California, 110 US 516 (1884)]
“No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” [16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256]

#12 OFFLINE   nitehawk

nitehawk

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 03:25 PM

You must have a big lilly pad to mow!

Used to have five acres....down to two acres now...suggested the 46 incher to Him because it is actually less $$$ than the 42 inch at most stores. Picked mine up at Sears (and took the Maintenance Protection Plan)...the Maintenance Plan is well worth the $$$ considering the Technican comes to Your place...does repair or maintenance...You don't have to hook up the trailer...haul the mower in to a place...where You will most likely pay as many $$$ there as You would for the Sears Maintenace PLan...go figure... :thumb: :)

#13 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Member ID: 13,758

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 08:35 PM

The Cub is better than the Husqvarna by leaps and bounds. We sold the Husqvarnas for a couple years and I get tired of seeing them come back to get fixed.

Swisher is crap any more. We sold those too. They come back regularly.

Cubs we sell and never hear a bad thing.

Signature:

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#14 OFFLINE   satchmodog

satchmodog

Founding Brother

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 8,334

Contributor

Posted Oct. 04 2011 - 08:44 PM

I'm in need of a residential grade zero turn mower pretty quick. The commercial grades are way beyond what I need, but the smallest residential ones are too small. I'm looking for a 42-50 inch deck, (bigger is not always better) in the $2,700-$3,500 price range.

I've used a Cub Cadet on the farm for 5 years and it's near 300 hours with no problems thus far (RZT50). I always figured when I needed to buy one I would just get one of those and be done with it but I stopped and looked at the Husqvarna RF4222f yesterday and for only $200 more it seems a little better built.

Tractor Supply sells the Bad Boy brand and they have several models that look good but they are kind of high ($4,400 for the "ZT"), and to round it off Toro (model SS4266) has some in my size and budget range.

Reading the reviews online it seems like all of them get pretty good marks.

Anyone have any opinions they would care to share, good or bad, for any brand?

Thanks in advance.

talk to Neil. He sleeps with his Deere :laugh:

Signature:
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die

Incompetent;the Queen looked pissed as if "I can't believe we are entertaining this lawn jockey". ebrfan

shat, I had a girl out shooting last week and she had to pee. I told her to go piss in the grass because I don't want my camper crapper to get full and have to empty it. Cretin

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Know this. No matter who you vote for, the government still gets in.

#15 OFFLINE   Tree

Tree

• Member ID: 4,902

Posted Oct. 05 2011 - 05:43 AM

We have had a Cub RZT50 for 6 summers. Been nothing but problems. I go through 2+ belts every year, and now I have to put a starter on it.

Bad Boy or Farris if you are going zero turn.

If you have a fairly flat mowing area, get a standard/tractor style rider. This way you can still put attachments on it fairly easily, and you can back it up easily when pulling a trailer. It is also hard to plow snow with a twin lever zero turn.

Signature:
Too many people today take for granted that their freedom is forever, and without question. They have forgotten that all of our freedoms and ways of life were paid for with the blood, sweat and tears of forgotten Military Veterans. The rosy picture this country is only rosy because the crimson blood has faded over the years.

#16 OFFLINE   hsracer201

hsracer201

• Member ID: 215

Posted Oct. 05 2011 - 08:08 AM

No Dixie Choppers?

There's no where to buy them around here and if I should need service a dealer would be nice to have close by.

I've always had great luck with Toro mowers. If you can swing it, buy a commercial grade mower though. The parts will be available longer, the mower will last longer with good care, and you'll only cry over buying it once.

The commercial Huskies start at or around 6k. I haven't priced the commercial models of most other brands.

The bitterness of poor quality long outlasts the soreness of a high price.

I understand this, but spending more for a mower than I did my car just isn't feasable right now.

I have a neighbor with two Huskies.....both are ok when they run. He has had problems with both of them. Fuel pumps, safety switches, blade mounting and such. I use an old Cub Cadet from the early 70's and it just keeps going. One of the huskies is zero turn and it is fast for home use.
Buy the one that has the best parts service for your area.

All the brands I mentioned have service shops around here.

Thanks for the link froggy. :thumb:

I have no experience with zero turn mowers but far more mowing experience than I ever wished I had. From hills and flatlands covered in trees and brush to lawn and here is what I WISH I had... I am a huge fan of the self contained pull behind mowers that you use behind an ATV. Something like the DR (they make a finish and brushcut) or at the non-professional end the Swisher. They are extremely versitile.

Those are nice but they won't fit between trees as easily as a zero turn.

The Cub is better than the Husqvarna by leaps and bounds. We sold the Husqvarnas for a couple years and I get tired of seeing them come back to get fixed.

Swisher is crap any more. We sold those too. They come back regularly.

Cubs we sell and never hear a bad thing.

Sounds like another vote for Cub.

We have had a Cub RZT50 for 6 summers. Been nothing but problems. I go through 2+ belts every year, and now I have to put a starter on it.

Bad Boy or Farris if you are going zero turn.

If you have a fairly flat mowing area, get a standard/tractor style rider. This way you can still put attachments on it fairly easily, and you can back it up easily when pulling a trailer. It is also hard to plow snow with a twin lever zero turn.

I don't. I borrowed a garden tractor yesterday with a 60" cut and it is just too big and bulky to do what I need. The turning radius is huge, turning around is a chore on steep ground and the super wide deck leaves high places and scalps other places bald. This is why the 42" decks are more appealing.

There are other options for snow removal close by, so I don't need a snow plow.

#17 OFFLINE   nitehawk

nitehawk

Posted Oct. 05 2011 - 08:21 AM

Check this one out...

http://www.sears.com...mp;blockType=G2

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center