• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CelticMonster

CelticMonster

Living in freedom

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 25,617

Posted Mar. 22 2012 - 12:02 AM

Finally had the chance to take my new Sig Sauer M400 to the range today to get some range time in. All I have to say is that I am very impressed. Sighting in took a little while, mainly because I also brought my dad and friend along to shoot it with me, but things are pretty much on que at 25 yards by now. No misfeeds occured, no failures, everything performed quite well and I am very happy with my new and first AR. However, I do have a question regarding buffers to ask. I was shooting Remington 55gr .223's and noticed that my brass was consistently ejecting pretty forcefully at the 4:30 position (end of barrel being 12:00). The weight of my buffer is a standard 2.95 ounces on my carbine. Still being slightly uneducated on buffer weights and their pros/ cons and influence on the BCG, what would you guys recommend I do? I'm thinking I may need a slightly heavier buffer, and I'm considering purchasing a Spike's Tactical ST-T2 or ST-T3. This awkward ejection and constant slap against the shell deflector was just with using 55gr .223's, and I'll be using this ammunition along with some 62gr NATO rounds as my primary ammunition, nothing much heavier, and nothing lighter. What would be some suggestions on what I should do based on this info?

Edited by CelticMonster, Mar. 22 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Etho

Etho

The Donut Man

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 84

Posted Mar. 22 2012 - 12:12 AM

That's pretty much the normal area where the brass should be landing. The brass is supposed to hit the deflector...hence the name. What do you mean forcefully? The bolt carrier is getting hit with gas that is probably around 10k psi....it isn't gonna be lollipops and kittens dude.

Not trying to be a smartass. Everything sounds normal.

Edited by Etho, Mar. 22 2012 - 12:13 AM.

Signature:
"Is that the come back and kick me whistle?" Roger Smith

#3 OFFLINE   CelticMonster

CelticMonster

Living in freedom

Posted Mar. 22 2012 - 12:25 AM

That's pretty much the normal area where the brass should be landing. The brass is supposed to hit the deflector...hence the name. What do you mean forcefully? The bolt carrier is getting hit with gas that is probably around 10k psi....it isn't gonna be lollipops and kittens dude.

Not trying to be a smartass. Everything sounds normal.

Just making sure everything is running as it should be. I've heard that the ideal ejection should be at around the 3:00- 3:30 position so I wanted to check in with the guys here. But besides that everything worked great.

#4 OFFLINE   Etho

Etho

The Donut Man

• Group:New.Members
  • Member ID: 84

Posted Mar. 22 2012 - 12:29 AM

Just making sure everything is running as it should be. I've heard that the ideal ejection should be at around the 3:00- 3:30 position so I wanted to check in with the guys here. But besides that everything worked great.

I've had them that ejecting from 2 to 4. Usually if the ejected brass is landing in a funny spot it's the extractor that needs tuning. I personally don't consider 4 a problem.

if you are getting dented brass from hitting the deflector so hard or marring on the face of the buffer then a heavier buffer may be in order. Otherwise....it's fine.

Have fun and shoot the piss out of it, don't worry about swapping parts so fast. If its functioning fine then just enjoy the rifle.

Edited by Etho, Mar. 22 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   CelticMonster

CelticMonster

Living in freedom

Posted Mar. 22 2012 - 12:45 AM

I've had them that ejecting from 2 to 4. Usually if the ejected brass is landing in a funny spot it's the extractor that needs tuning. I personally don't consider 4 a problem.

if you are getting dented brass from hitting the deflector so hard or marring on the face of the buffer then a heavier buffer may be in order. Otherwise....it's fine.

Have fun and shoot the piss out of it, don't worry about swapping parts so fast. If its functioning fine then just enjoy the rifle.

Thank you for the help.

#6 OFFLINE   drck1000

drck1000

Wannabe Redneck

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 24,008

Contributor

Posted Mar. 22 2012 - 02:55 AM

Yeah, sounds like you're good to go. If you start having malfunctions, failures to eject, misfeeds, bolt not locking back on an empty mag, then there may be something up. Ejecting to 4:30 and hitting the deflector sounds great to me. I sometimes pay attention to where the casings eject so that I can place my brass catcher in the proper spot. Other than that, pretty much as long as it's running find and ejecting pretty consistently, then I don't really pay any more attention to ejection.

That said, if you start to experience feeding issues, look to your mags first. If you have a bunch of them, it's a good idea to number them and keep track if any one of them is causing problems. If so, get new ones.

Other than that, enjoy your rifle! Shot it lots and let us know if you have any more questions along the way!

#7 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted Mar. 22 2012 - 09:12 AM

You are good to go! :thumb:

I've had brass land at the 1:00 position as well. That was the hotter stuff. The weaker stuff usually hits the 4:00 position.

Signature:

Purpose should drive the Purchase......

The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#8 OFFLINE   deadduck357

deadduck357

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 18,237

Posted Mar. 22 2012 - 10:45 AM

Sounds within the norms. If its not broke don't fix it.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center