Canned 8 pints of fig preserves

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wish2no

wish2no

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 21,647

Posted Aug. 28 2012 - 09:53 AM

Late night. Got home from work and figs were ready to pick and be canned (they dont last long once ripe). Made 8 pints. I love them but will send these to my Mom in TX who also loves them. Didnt use sugar, the figs themselves are sweet as candy but did add some honey for flavor.

Signature:
“You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws….” ~ John Adams

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” [Marbury vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174,176 (1803)]

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." [Miranda vs. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491 (1966)]

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]

"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights." [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

"Constitutional rights may not be denied simply because of hostility to their assertion and exercise: Vindication of conceded constitutional rights cannot be made dependent upon any theory that it is less expensive to deny them than to afford them."
[Watson vs. City of Memphis, 373 US 526, 535 (1963)]

"The state cannot diminish Rights of the people." [Hurtado vs. California, 110 US 516 (1884)]
“No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” [16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256]

#2 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Aug. 28 2012 - 11:16 AM

Very nice. Canning season is upon us, I'm about to be swamped with tomatoes. Just did 80 pounds of cucumbers into garlic dills, I think we wound up with 40 quarts.

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

#3 OFFLINE   Alden

Alden

Hell, I was THERE!

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 15,717

Contributor

Posted Aug. 28 2012 - 03:23 PM

I love a good fig. :eat:

Signature:

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 OFFLINE   wish2no

wish2no

Posted Aug. 28 2012 - 03:28 PM

Very nice. Canning season is upon us, I'm about to be swamped with tomatoes. Just did 80 pounds of cucumbers into garlic dills, I think we wound up with 40 quarts.

Whow! My tomatoes didnt do poop this year. Sitting with just a couple fruits on the vines refusing to ripen. I have about 8 plants, some cherry, some full size, same for them all. I am jealous. Cucumbers are doing just fair. Started one gallon jug fermenting with garic dills (I dont can them, just let them ferment like the old fashioned pickle barrel type). Potatoes are looking prolific this year, garlic a failure, eggplants and peppers have giant plants loaded with leaves but no fruits. What an odd garden year for me.

#5 OFFLINE   Alden

Alden

Hell, I was THERE!

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 15,717

Contributor

Posted Aug. 28 2012 - 03:54 PM

Plants can surprise you. So can bugs. When I used to do it, one year I planted Hubbard squash.

I had big beautiful plants and tons of squash, then one day the squash beetles arrived, like overnight, and ate all of it.

#6 OFFLINE   wish2no

wish2no

Posted Aug. 28 2012 - 04:01 PM

Plants can surprise you. So can bugs. When I used to do it, one year I planted Hubbard squash.

I had big beautiful plants and tons of squash, then one day the squash beetles arrived, like overnight, and ate all of it.

:sad:

Afraid the bugs got my cabbage this year (slugs). A thousand wild turkeys and they wont eat the slugs. Worthless creatures. At least I will have enough potato soup to feed an army. Fruit trees have done very well though. So has the horseradish, asparagus, lettuce, kholrobi, radishes, carrots and rhubarb. So not a total loss, just surprizes. Zuchinni not doing too well. Dehydrator wont get much of a woorkout this year. Maybe thats a good thing.... more time for reloading! :)

#7 OFFLINE   rasputin

rasputin

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 371

Posted Aug. 28 2012 - 07:46 PM

Good job, man.

I just can't get in the mood this year.

#8 ONLINE   CRE10

CRE10

Touch it and you die!

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 14,379

Posted Aug. 28 2012 - 07:57 PM

I wish I had the motivation for a big garden. :eat:

Signature:
CRE10
CRETIN

"Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be.
But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price."
Lane Frost

"You mess with the bull, you get the horns."

Armory Minion  :vader:

#9 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Aug. 28 2012 - 09:21 PM

My tomatoes aren't turning yet. I probably have 100+ pounds, sitting there, green as gourds. I'm hoping they'll turn in the next week or two.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center