magazine feeding malfunction thermold troubleshoot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   d_scherby08

d_scherby08

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 28,181

Posted Feb. 05 2013 - 12:58 AM

I recently build a custom Ar 15 223 from the ground up and today went to the range to tear loose.  I was immediately faced with an issue with feeding the shells into the chamber.  When I would pull back on the charging handle the first round would fire and eject properly but when it went to reload the shell would stop at the base of the feed ramps with the bold behind the shell completely (hopefully ruling out any gas issues).  This would happen off and on every now and then firing 4-6 shells in a row until the same problem occured.  I am using thermold 30 rnd magazines in the gun and am kind of thinking they are the problem.  Can anybody shed some light on this? the bolt carrier and bolt are completely oiled up and also both the upper receiver and the barrel are rifle (not M4)

#2 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Feb. 05 2013 - 01:05 AM

That may be a magazine issue. Do you have other mags that you can try, or borrow from a friend? If so, give those a shot and see what happens. Try hand cycling the rifle slowly, see if you get a hangup, and see exactly where the hangup occurs. Is it in the barrel extension, or is it just as it's attempting to leave the magazine? Are the rounds all the way to the rear of the magazine? Did you thump them to the rear before seating the magazine?

More information will help us help you. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I AM DARREN WILSON.

#3 OFFLINE   d_scherby08

d_scherby08

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 28,181

Posted Feb. 05 2013 - 01:39 AM

That may be a magazine issue. Do you have other mags that you can try, or borrow from a friend? If so, give those a shot and see what happens. Try hand cycling the rifle slowly, see if you get a hangup, and see exactly where the hangup occurs. Is it in the barrel extension, or is it just as it's attempting to leave the magazine? Are the rounds all the way to the rear of the magazine? Did you thump them to the rear before seating the magazine?

More information will help us help you. 

I do have Magpul PMags I am going to borrow and try.  I did try hand cycling it today just not really "slow"  and it seemed like it did average with that and didn't actually jam up.  The rounds might be seated too far back in the magazine but i feel as though they should still feed? I also though about filing the lips partially off the magazine as the tips of the shells don't seem like they sit up high enough? (i'm new to ar 15 use and am mostly used bolt action rilfes and shotguns)

#4 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Feb. 05 2013 - 02:04 AM

The rounds are supposed to be at the rear of the magazine. Hand cycle it slowly, and see if/where it hangs up. But most importantly, check a different magazine and see if the problem persists. 

#5 OFFLINE   eperk

eperk

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 26,925

Posted Feb. 09 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thermolds aren't the best in the world. I'm sure a quality mag will solve your problem.

#6 ONLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Hold My Beer and Watch This!

• Group:Administrator
  • Member ID: 1

Contributor

Posted Feb. 09 2013 - 10:37 PM

Welcome to the Armory

It sounds like your mag is not allowing the bcg to strip out the next round completely that would be the first thing I try.

Also you could be a tad under gased so if the different mag doesn't work, then that would be the next thing I look into.

Signature:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed
Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.
Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

#7 OFFLINE   Adam86

Adam86

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 23,207

Posted Feb. 10 2013 - 01:29 AM

I've used 6 different types of magazines in my AR's and Thermolds are a distant 2nd worse. Worst has been Tapco by miles. But my Thermolds had every problem from dumping rounds out of the mag to double feeds to cycling issues. Every mag I've ever owned that isn't USGI, Troy, or Magpul is now in the trash. I would definitely check your mag first. If it's not the mag, it's most likely a gas issue. Check your gas block and tube after the mags.

Signature:
"The biggest thing "screwing up the country" is ignorance, laziness and apathy among most Americans.
Every law abiding citizen should have the "right to vote".
If you don't agree with that then contact your reps to change it.
It takes less than a few minutes to talk to your rep. Change it at the ballot box.
That is why we have the system of government our Founders fought to give us.
And that is better than all the cartridge box revolutionary silliness that is going on around the net.
The good news is that we are the rightful owners of the country and can steer it's path to help promote liberty and freedom for all law abiding citizens.
And yeah, it ain't always a perfect system."

-TaosGlock

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   doug01

doug01

• Member ID: 27,935

Posted Mar. 15 2013 - 02:22 PM

trash the thermold. it's junk no kidding. I have had some pretty bad emails from them today! they are posted in the board just click my name to see.

Signature:
I like all things that go bang!!!!! :bnb2:

#9 OFFLINE   cma_454

cma_454

• Member ID: 26,962

Posted Mar. 15 2013 - 02:54 PM

I posted this on another forum.

The original Thermolds were generally good magazines.

The ones produced in Canada were made using molds produced by Thermold, but used a different polymer. The polymer used in the Canadian Thermolds did not hold up well to heat. They are often derisively called, "Thermelts."

The company that currently produces Themolds bought the name and molds from the owners of the original company (which had been out of business for years).

The current company appears to use a polymer that differs from the original. At least the ones I've tried - mostly 20 round AR-15 magazines - had feed lips so pliable that many would fail to hold rounds in the magazines.

OTOH their AK magazines seem to be O.K., probably because the feed lips are so much thicker.

The original Thermold Mini-14 magazines were arguably some of the best of the aftermarket Mini-14 magazines. I don't know about the current production, but my experience with the current AR-15 magazines doesn't inspire confidence.

Bottom line, I didn't think the new AR-15 Thermolds were worth the price when CDNN was was selling them for $3.99. I definitely don't think they're worth the current prices. YMMV.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magazine, feeding, malfunction, thermold, troubleshoot

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center