BHW 6.5X6.8 BARRELS AVAILABLE

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Nov. 13 2013 - 08:11 PM

BHW has just released  the 6.5X6.8 chambering. Available in AR or bolt action switch barrel sets ups. All the usual options. Remember these are wildcat chamberings and no factory ammuntion is available.  The Pro Staff will help if you need any assitance in getting  set up for loading this.

Please contact them at : http://sales@blackholeweaponry.com as they are redoing their website.

Greg

Edited by GLShooter, Nov. 13 2013 - 09:48 PM.

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#2 OFFLINE   MikeB716

MikeB716

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 26,652

Posted Nov. 14 2013 - 02:27 AM

Question is, 6x68 or 6.5x68? How do these wildcats compare?

#3 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Nov. 14 2013 - 09:06 AM

Question is, 6x68 or 6.5x68? How do these wildcats compare?

I'm not sure what you mean. The 6.5X6.8 was released yesterday. The 6X6.8 was released almost 18 months ago. 

Comparison?

The 6 will shoot good BC bullets from a very large array available. The 6.5 will shoot good BC bullets from a pretty good array.  The 6.5 will push the same weight bullet faster than the 6 MM  but with a lower BC in the 6.5 version. The 6.5 will routinely shoot a 15-20 grain heavier bullet as it's top load level.

6 MM is better for varmints and a good medium game. The 6.5 will have less varmint, as in PD's, usage but will give a bit more performance on medium to big game.

Greg

Edited by GLShooter, Nov. 14 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Warlike

Warlike

Help! I've fallen and can't reach My beer!

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 6,731

Posted Nov. 14 2013 - 02:47 PM

yer kilin me here, I can't afford one but want it like a mofo

Signature:
WarTrans103.gif

#5 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Nov. 14 2013 - 03:26 PM

yer kilin me here, I can't afford one but want it like a mofo

One down, three more to go...............sorry.

Greg

#6 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted Nov. 15 2013 - 12:37 AM

Well poop. I was hoping they would delay it long enough to get some factory ammo out there.

Signature:

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#7 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Nov. 15 2013 - 08:44 AM

Well poop. I was hoping they would delay it long enough to get some factory ammo out there.

Realistically I don't think that there will ever be factory  ammunition on any of these wildcats that would be commonly available. Maybe a single source like Tactical Ammunition that loads the 6X6.8 available in the 58 VMAX but the needs and demands would be hard to nail down. They decided to do that one because they had Ritch and I do the load work, hundreds of rounds tested BTW, and it was originally viewed at as fast 6 MM varmint round as its main cup of tea.

Now as to reloading it will be the easiest one as it is only one neck down stroke and you are GTG vs the others that add one pass to each caliber reduction if you want to do it the slow but superior way for quality control.  A guy could set up for single caliber with a Lee single stage, a Hornady  seater, Redding dies and bushings , a powders scale and the general stuff needed for under $300.00. That would be the equivalent of about 15 boxes of shells. That being said a caliber change would run you about 3$35.00 after that. Four feet of bench space or a Black and Decker Workmate is pretty small. The cost per round after you get the case would only be about $0.45 with a good bullet.

Then again if you went this route you would have lifetime, mine, support and assistance on a free consultation basis on the process.

Greg

#8 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

The Bandaid Baron

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Dec. 08 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hey Greg,

I'm really interested in the 6.5x6.8. I think you posted about using Redding bushing dies to load this caliber. Could you please either link to your original post or explain the process or needed dies/bushings for this.

Does the barrel come headspaced or is that up to me requiring me to have a reamer onhand?

Signature:

Flesh Wound

1984 is *not* an instruction manual for Gov't

"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes,

our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter

the state of facts and evidence." -- John Adams

#9 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Dec. 08 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hey Greg,

I'm really interested in the 6.5x6.8. I think you posted about using Redding bushing dies to load this caliber. Could you please either link to your original post or explain the process or needed dies/bushings for this.

Does the barrel come headspaced or is that up to me requiring me to have a reamer onhand?

Here is the family history:  http://www.ar15armor...-bhw-68-family/

To load:  Take one 6.8 MM Remington SPC Redding Type S Full Lenght Busihng die Part # 77259 . One Redding or Wilson, I prefer Wilson, bushing 287 or 288 depending on brass with 287 the best all around choice if you use FC brass or 288 of you use the other brands, Rub a little Imperial on on the case it run it up in the die after setting the shoulders and Walla you are GTG.  I use a Hornady seating die for the chore of bulet placement.

Barrels come just like any AR rig. Build the upper, stick a boltt in them and there will be no head space issues. We measured three barrels done with this reamer, one Savage and two AR's and they did not vary 0.001 in head space on the shoulder. The remaers for the entire family were made by PT&G and cost right on $160.00each. 

This is no harder toload than any bottle necked case out there except you don't need expansdrer buttons and can control neck tension with the buishings. I just made up 22, 24,25 6.5 and 6.8 cases with the same die swapping out bushings as I sizex smaller and samller. I ruined exactly one case out of 250 because I got a tad agressive with that one.LOL

ANY questioons or help that anyone on here has  or needs will get my attention and assistance.  This one will out run the Grendel and I believe that as a deer cartidge it wil be flat amazing.

Greg

#10 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

The Bandaid Baron

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Dec. 08 2013 - 10:05 PM

Yes, that is the link I was looking for. Thank you Greg.

Dayum. I need to ping BHW and see how many beans I'll be needing to round up for one of the 65x6.8 barrels.

So how many resizing steps are there going from 6.8x6.8 brass to 6.5?

Also, what mods to use the stock 6.8 seater (if any)?

#11 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Dec. 08 2013 - 10:13 PM

Yes, that is the link I was looking for. Thank you Greg.

Dayum. I need to ping BHW and see how many beans I'll be needing to round up for one of the 65x6.8 barrels.

So how many resizing steps are there going from 6.8x6.8 brass to 6.5?

Also, what mods to use the stock 6.8 seater (if any)?

One step to go from 6.8 to 6.5 using the single bushing. A Hornady 6.5 seater can be used as it is generic or a 6MM Hornady will work.I have not tried a standard 6.8 seater ala RCBS. If you had a 6.8 Hornady seater you could get the 6.5 seater plugin from them directly.

Greg

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center