Did my taxes and all I got was a BHW barrel

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 29,276

Posted Apr. 16 2014 - 10:19 PM

How do you measure head space to 0.0001?

Greg

With .001" metal shims compressed to .0005"

Oh, by the way, did I mention I'm anal when it comes to handloading.  :huh:

Glenn

Signature:

Turning 5.56X45 mm brass into 6X45 mm brass one case at a time since April 2014.

6.8 SPC II, That's .270 Lite for those of us in the real world. 

M1A Socom 16; Its bark will blow minds, its bite is even worst! 

30 Herrett AR; I know 7.62X39 is cheaper... But I already had the 6.8 SPC brass and bolts.

8DjqgGE.png

#22 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Apr. 16 2014 - 10:25 PM

With .001" metal shims compressed to .0005"
Oh, by the way, did I mention I'm anal when it comes to handloading.  :huh:

Glenn

Where are your shims going? I have never heard of this process.

Greg

BTW bolts can vary as much as 0.005 and still be in spec. Brass spring back can vary from 0.001-0.002. Case lenght to the shoulder can vary as much as 0.004 depending on extraction timing.

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#23 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Apr. 16 2014 - 10:44 PM

Where are your shims going? I have never heard of this process.

Greg

I picked up this trick for using shims on a different forum.

The shim go between the base of the headspace gauge and bolt face.

A drop of CLP on the base of gauge will keep the shim in place as you drop the gauge into the chamber.

This method must be done with a stripped bolt. 

Thanks for the other information.

Glenn

#24 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Apr. 16 2014 - 11:01 PM

I picked up this trick for using shims on a different forum.
The shim go between the base of the headspace gauge and bolt face.
A drop of CLP on the base of gauge will keep the shim in place as you drop the gauge into the chamber.
This method must be done with a stripped bolt. 

Thanks for the other information.

Glenn

I see. You do know that not all head space gagues are the same from maker to maker, right? Also as the rifle is shot their will be a gradual change as the bolt is hammered time after time with lug compression, barrel extension wear and bolt face erosion/wear.

Greg

#25 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Apr. 16 2014 - 11:21 PM

I see. You do know that not all head space gagues are the same from maker to maker, right? Also as the rifle is shot their will be a gradual change as the bolt is hammered time after time with lug compression, barrel extension wear and bolt face erosion/wear.

Greg

Yes sir.

I only use headspace gauges from the the same manufacturer and make sure they are calibrated to each other.

I know about the other things you mentioned. Being a pup in the AR world, I don't have the timing down to when these changes will occur.

Glenn 

#26 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Apr. 16 2014 - 11:49 PM

Yes sir.
I only use headspace gauges from the the same manufacturer and make sure they are calibrated to each other.

I know about the other things you mentioned. Being a pup in the AR world, I don't have the timing down to when these changes will occur.

Glenn

Technically the recommendation is to use head space gauges made by the reamer maker. This takes into account the minutiae of reamer variations. Given that brass changes so much based on load pressures the benefits of head spacing per spec can be slightly dubious. Wildcating the way we do has taught me that given a bit of effort I can make cases to fit small, large and huge chambers with little more than a press, a Dremel and corn meal besides my usual components.

Greg

#27 OFFLINE   R Johnson

R Johnson

• Group:BHW Staff
  • Member ID: 22,851

Posted Apr. 17 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yes sir.

Glenn 

Black Hole Weaponry uses Pacific Tool & Gauge reamers. You used a set of Clymer head space gauges. Using your own words  "being a pup to the AR world", here are some things for you to ponder. First the 6X45 is a wildcat. You can't buy ammunition for it. So head space is of little consequence. YOU make the brass fit the chamber. The second thing you can ask yourself, What would I or could I do to change the head space on your barrel had it not been in spec? The answer is nothing. With out having access to a machine shop, there is no way to change head space on an AR 15 barrel. Third Do you really think .0005 is going to make a difference? You will be sizing your brass and moving the shoulder back at least .004 probably more like .006 This is just to make your gun cycle properly. This also does not take into account all the other variables like bolt size, chamber size and the mating of the bolt and barrel extension after it has been fired.

My advice to you is build it and shoot it and not worry about all the things you can't change. Leave all the precision stuff to the Bench Rest Guys. That's the only place in the gun industry where .0005 will mean anything.    

#28 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Apr. 17 2014 - 01:14 PM

Thank you for the information Gentlemen..

Please be patient with me on my Idiosyncrasies. 

Having been on a firing line when a reloader destroyed their rife, and almost doing the same to one of my own when I started reloading years ago has made me Type-A.

There are also things I do for personal reference and curiosity. So I do go over board at times.

I appreciate all your input.

Thanks again.

Glenn 

#29 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Apr. 17 2014 - 07:34 PM

My advice to you is build it and shoot it.    

Working on it Sir!

A little preview.

IMG_2646_zps41d32f58.jpg

Ran into one problem so far. The YHM clamp on gas bock is too thick on the bottom and making contact with the Troy hand guard.

Everything else is working out fine. 

Most likely I will just order an adjustable low profile gas block and go from there.

Will post pics when I get this baby complete.

Thank you.

Glenn 

#30 OFFLINE   angus6

angus6

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 29,528

Posted Apr. 18 2014 - 05:57 PM

My 6x45 is kind of my favorite as it so simple to load for and there is lots of data out there. Don't tell the 6x6.8 or the 270ar I said that :segrin:

#31 ONLINE   calebj06

calebj06

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 27,288

Posted Apr. 18 2014 - 09:17 PM

Check out the BTE adjustable micro block.

#32 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Apr. 19 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thanks guys.

Calebj06, Thanks for the info. 

I picked up a Troy micro gas block from my one of my local shops. I will order the BTE adjustable to try later.

I found that the retaining bracket for the short rail was what was making contact. There was still some contact with the new gas block so I took about 3/16th of an inch off and refinished the end with Blue Wonder gun black. 

Got everything together and switched the furniture out with my other lower. So she's done.

IMG_2651_zps55d5b37d.jpg

Need to start making ammunition to feed her now.

It may be a couple weeks before I get her out..... The range I frequent is down for maintenance and I'm on call next weekend.

So once I run her through her paces I will be posting in the AR Pattern Rifles section.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Glenn

Edit, current configuration.

IMG_2664_zps157b4d05.jpg

Edited by geepee3, May. 17 2014 - 01:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users