• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eddiegunks

eddiegunks

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 30,617

Posted Sep. 12 2015 - 07:37 PM

hey all,

i just scored a pile of PMC 100gr PSP bullets (#24100).  i bought them specifically for 6x45.  will they fit the AR mag?  they seem to be about .038 longer than the Hornady 75g BTHP .224 bullets.

the PMC bullets are 1.03 long.  am i lucky or just out of luck as far as fitting them into an AR mag.

thanks

eddie

#2 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Sep. 13 2015 - 05:08 PM

hey all,

i just scored a pile of PMC 100gr PSP bullets (#24100).  i bought them specifically for 6x45.  will they fit the AR mag?  they seem to be about .038 longer than the Hornady 75g BTHP .224 bullets.

the PMC bullets are 1.03 long.  am i lucky or just out of luck as far as fitting them into an AR mag.

thanks

eddie

It depends.  What magazines do you have? A 2.260 ain't gon'a cut it. If you step up to an ASC 2.314 maybe.  It will depend where the ogive sets.

Now that's the easy part. The 6X45 was envisioned as a light deer cartridge and 87-90 grain bullets were the way to go.  The 100's will tend to eat up your case space quickly if you shove them down to meet length and realistically you wil have to go with the long length.

Hodgdon does some100 grain loads that use the Hornady SP that are all at 2.340. You'll just have to check your distance from lands and see what happens.  That being said you best be backing down a bit on the loads as that is a pretty good amount of shortening up. Even loaded long they are getting around 2450 or so but they have one hot load that hits 2600 in a 24" tube.

Bullet overall length is not comparable to most of these cartridges as the placement of the ogive often determines if you can use them. The RN's can usually be set short for weight but then you are eating up the case volume something terrible. We found this to be true in the A-30 and it is true i many of the other rounds out there. 223 bases cases are not forgiving.. Small and powerful they can be but limited somewhat.

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#3 OFFLINE   eddiegunks

eddiegunks

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 30,617

Posted Sep. 14 2015 - 08:31 AM

thanks greg.

i did a quick and dirty test just for fun.  it was not pretty but i wanted to get one stuffed into a case......i used a black marker to draw a line on the bullet at mag length......please note that the top of  the case is below the black line.....it was a fairly fat marker.

i have added a picture showing  (l-r) 75 gr hornady HPBT, PMC 100 gr, PMC 100 gr.  for size.

it appears that is "should" fit in very similar to the 75gr hornady......what am i missing?

cheers

eddie

IMG_4971_zpslidmyks9.jpg

#4 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Sep. 14 2015 - 09:48 AM

What COL was that? It looks lkke they might work but watch your pressures. This is where a chronograph pays off.

What are you going to use them for? Plinking?

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users