Noob--Bitten by the 10mm Bug

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rabbi

Rabbi

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 30,944

Posted Jan. 14 2016 - 04:33 PM

Bought my first 1911 about 6 years ago and fell in love. Carry it (open) all the time "out on the place" but wanted a bit more power (and distance) for "eventualities" and after researching a while, decided that the 10mm was the best compromise between portability and power.

Wanted a longslide and as you know there are not too many out there--and some are way more than I want to pay for an everyday carry. So I had a conversation with a local gunshop and talked to someone who knows the Owner of Armscor and he highly recommended the Pro series.

I wanted to see the HC model in person, as I liked the idea of more ammo--but the closest dealer is about 3 hours away and I decided not to order one without holding it and seeing how it felt. 

Decided on this one. Don't yet have it in hand, but wondering whatcha think.

http://armscor.com/f...h-ultra-6-10mm/

Rabbi

Edited by Rabbi, Jan. 14 2016 - 04:39 PM.

• Bentwrench likes this

Signature:

Sometimes trouble just follows a man. Josey Wales

#2 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Jan. 14 2016 - 04:35 PM

That is one itch I thankfully do not have to scratch. Although I do shoot a similar round. Just a bit more powerful... Herter's 401 PowerMag.

I keep hearing good things about the Armscorp firearms. (Rock Island and other brands they build) That ought to be a beast.

Also, Welcome to The Armory. Never will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Otherwise a great bunch of folks! :segrin:

Edited by Flesh Wound, Jan. 14 2016 - 04:36 PM.

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges.
I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

Keep shooting until your target changes shape or catches fire.

#3 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Jan. 14 2016 - 06:46 PM

Here is my RIA 10mm  it has a 4.2 inch barrel

gallery_24285_275_60543.jpg

• nickE10mm and devil duck like this

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#4 OFFLINE   Rabbi

Rabbi

Posted Jan. 14 2016 - 08:03 PM

gshayd--

I must ask where you got those grips--I saw the picture earlier, I love em.

Rabbi

#5 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Jan. 14 2016 - 08:49 PM

ebay....

#6 ONLINE   Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 3,238

Posted Jan. 15 2016 - 12:54 AM

Welcome, Rabbi.  Hope you decide to stick-around the forum.  I have several 10mm's, and have heard nothing but good things regarding Rock Island Armory pistols.  I'm currently, looking at the SIG Hunter for my next purchase.

a65655d4900b9ae16cab8a2d7ad7d9d3.jpg

Signature:

"Cram-it up your . . . cramhole, La Fleur!" - White Goodman, 'Dodgeball:  A True Underdog Story'

"Well, we share very few sentiments with our government." - Pike Bishop, 'The Wild Bunch'

"It's never personal, it's always business!" - Nino Brown, 'New Jack City'

"Your an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill." - Col. Kurtz, 'Apocalypse Now' 

"Even if you tie me, your gonna be dead! - John Russell, 'Hombre'

"Ben Trane.  I don't trust him. He likes people, and you can never count on a man like that!" - Joe Erin, 'Vera Cruz'

"We're after men - and I wish to God, I was with them.  The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride-off, and let you die!" - Deke Thornton, 'The Wild Bunch'

"After thirty years; I'll not bargain with a rogue at the final hour!" - John Brown of Kansas, 'Santa Fe Trail'

"I've learned to live in the 'white man's world'. Grab all you can, anytime you can!" - Levi Walking-Bear, 'The War Wagon'

"I never rode shotgun on a hearse before." - Vin Tanner, 'The Magnificent Seven'

"Let's just say I'm on your side, and this is no job for amateurs." - Cole Thornton, 'El Dorado'

"Every man should have a little taste of power before he's through!" - Nathan Burdette, 'Rio Bravo'

"Generosity . . . was my first-mistake.  I leave these people with little-bit extra, and then they hire these men to make trouble.

It shows you, sooner or later, you must answer for every good-deed." - Calvera, 'The Magnificent Seven'

"You better wake-up.  The world your living in is just a sugar-coated topping!  There is another world beneath it - the real world.  And if you

want to survive it, you better learn to pull-the-trigger!" - Blade the Daywalker, 'Blade'

#7 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Jan. 15 2016 - 05:53 PM

I like the Sig Hunter but at the moment I have no more body parts I can sell.

#8 OFFLINE   Rabbi

Rabbi

Posted Jan. 15 2016 - 11:34 PM

I plan to stick around--though I am too busy to hang out all the time. Unfortunately I have too many full-time-jobs (2@24/7) and too many hobbies. I KNOW I will have questions along the way. Right now I just want to get the thing here and range-tested/sighted in. 

#9 OFFLINE   Rabbi

Rabbi

Posted Jan. 22 2016 - 10:26 PM

So UPS bailed on the delivery today. Its just a little frozen water...

#10 OFFLINE   dan10mmman

dan10mmman

• Member ID: 11,760

Posted Jan. 24 2016 - 02:02 PM

A weather induced tragedy......... There has to be something worse that waiting for a new 10mm, but honestly can not think of anything, it will be worth the wait.

#11 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Member ID: 16,016

Posted Jan. 24 2016 - 02:09 PM

I have yet to jump into the 10mm world but I did notice that Kimber has a new offering.
https://www.impactgu...9278323381.aspx

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#12 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

• Member ID: 18,501

Posted Jan. 24 2016 - 03:47 PM

Funny thing, my son called this morning and told me he has scheduled a mountain lion hunt for me next fall. I really don't have a pistol or revolver suitable for that event. So, looks like I need another 1911! I have not been too subtle already, and the RIA long slide 10mm has a big target on it! A 6" barrel, target sights and a battery that I know like the back of my hand looks like a recipe for success! The RIA 10 is a wonderful option, as my experience with that company is nothing short of great! Don't think twice if young can find a RIA long slide! You will be well pleased!

#13 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 24 2016 - 04:20 PM

Dang, that's still one of the best looking 10mm I've seen. Of course those grips are the cat's azz.
  • Jaeger48 likes this

#14 OFFLINE   Rabbi

Rabbi

Posted Jan. 26 2016 - 11:06 PM

Welp--it showed up today and all is good. Looks and feels nice. I DO think that the bottom the the back strap is going to be "a handful" given the recoil of 10mm and the sharpness of the checkering. 

One issue--disassembly. The manual and video shows using a paper clip to keep recoil spring compressed for removing guide rod. NO HOLE in my guide rod. BUT it has a screw slot/screw in the front end of the guide rod. Armscor tech person said that has to be unscrewed. She didn't say if that was under tension or compressed?!?!?!

Inquiring minds and all that.

Edited by Rabbi, Jan. 26 2016 - 11:07 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   gandog56

gandog56

• Member ID: 10,583

Posted Feb. 03 2016 - 04:39 PM

I went Fusion Firearms for my longslide choice.

Signature:

People think I'm paranoid because I have lots of guns. If I have lots of guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?

#16 OFFLINE   Rabbi

Rabbi

Posted Feb. 05 2016 - 08:04 AM

I went Fusion Firearms for my longslide choice.

Wow--nice stuff on their website.

#17 OFFLINE   nickE10mm

nickE10mm

• Member ID: 9,218

Posted Mar. 15 2016 - 02:20 AM

This ^^ is my next 10mm.....  There is no other way to get a COMMANDER sized 10mm 1911 (w/ a full length dust cover and rail, no less) for anything less than 1500-2k .... and my FFL can get me one for 625.00!!!  MMMMMMM i need this......

#18 OFFLINE   Rabbi

Rabbi

Posted Mar. 15 2016 - 05:07 AM

This ^^ is my next 10mm.....  There is no other way to get a COMMANDER sized 10mm 1911 (w/ a full length dust cover and rail, no less) for anything less than 1500-2k .... and my FFL can get me one for 625.00!!!  MMMMMMM i need this......

Well of course you do...

#19 OFFLINE   bambihunter

bambihunter

• Member ID: 9,015

Posted Mar. 16 2016 - 04:18 PM

For an outdoor "around the house and woods" long slide, I would look into the Glock G40 10mm long slide. I recently added one to my large stable of 10mm thoroughbreds and although not as pretty as its stablemates, its capacity to weight ratio certainly has its merits.

You can never go wrong with a 1911 of any type and size. I have a few dozen, including Colt, Dan Wesson (my favorite), Springfield, Kimber, etc. All are in 10mm of course. I don't own any 9mm's, .40's, or even .45's. The 10mm does everything those can do except better. The only exception to that is for a suppressed round, I would go with the .45 since they are usually naturally subsonic to start with and by the time you slow down the 10mm to subsonic, you've lost most of its benefits..

I too have wanted a CCO for years. I have been trying to get one member here to sell me his Dan Wesson CCO 10mm but no luck. I may look into a Fusion as Bob Serva has already said he can make it the way I wanted it to be done.

Signature:

My current 10mm's: Dan Wesson Razorback #70, #105, #106, #111, #118, and #128 of 150. Colt: Delta Elite Ultimate stainless, Double Eagle MKII, Gold Cup stainless, Springfield Armory/Peter Stahl Omega Match & Linkless, Star Megastar, Glock: 40, 20 & 29, S&W: 1006, 1026 Police, 1046, 1066, 1076 FBI, & 1086. AMT Backup DAO converted to 10mm.

#20 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Mar. 16 2016 - 04:39 PM

For an outdoor "around the house and woods" long slide, I would look into the Glock G40 10mm long slide. I recently added one to my large stable of 10mm thoroughbreds and although not as pretty as its stablemates, its capacity to weight ratio certainly has its merits.
You can never go wrong with a 1911 of any type and size. I have a few dozen, including Colt, Dan Wesson (my favorite), Springfield, Kimber, etc. All are in 10mm of course. I don't own any 9mm's, .40's, or even .45's. The 10mm does everything those can do except better. The only exception to that is for a suppressed round, I would go with the .45 since they are usually naturally subsonic to start with and by the time you slow down the 10mm to subsonic, you've lost most of its benefits..

I too have wanted a CCO for years. I have been trying to get one member here to sell me his Dan Wesson CCO 10mm but no luck. I may look into a Fusion as Bob Serva has already said he can make it the way I wanted it to be done.

IF you decide to go with a Fusion please give us a range report and your overall impression. I have been thinking about having a Fusion 1911 built. For a custom/production pistol it would be hard to beat my Dan Wesson Valor. I do not own any 10mm but I'm very curious.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center