Measuring Powders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rabbi

Rabbi

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 30,944

Posted Mar. 06 2016 - 08:33 PM

Well, seems I am on the way toward doing some reloading for the 10mm. I've noted that 800x has been discussed positively but that it "meters" poorly and that at least some people don't use it for that reason.

That said, I've never really used/trusted automatic powder dispensers and typically, once I find my most-favorite load, I make a "dipper" of exactly the right size--then scoop up the right amount and go on my merry way. This worked very well with H110 and 185gr XTP's in my 44mag. Is there a reason it wouldn't work well with 800x in the 10mm?

And no, I don't typically load a thousand rounds at a setting--I have a manual turret press, not a progressive and I enjoy my time loading--a bit of extra time spent is time well spent, not wasted.

Signature:

Sometimes trouble just follows a man. Josey Wales

#2 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Mar. 07 2016 - 12:12 PM

I have home made dippers for pistol loads as well. The critical part is making them with a small mouth. Second they have to fill the same each time. For plinking loads there is no issue. I have a 45 acp load that is under max and even if I heaped the scoop to overflowing the charge would be less than max. My 38 +p and 357 mag loads are scooped as well and those scoops throw +/- 1/10 grain every time.

I have not used the powder you speak of so a little experimenting with scoops would be in order. If you are going to be running max loads I advise a method that will not throw an overcharge.

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Accuracy over OCD !

#3 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Mar. 07 2016 - 12:59 PM

Just an FYI, "meters poorly" means it doesn't lay or stack consistently.  It's a volume metric problem which means same problem for spoons "Dippers" and dispensers.   It's a way of saying "Best weigh it". 

Now that being said, the way to make it more consistent in those devices is weigh it, determine what your load is, then by tapping make your volume metric method more consistent. 

Tj 

• 52hubcap likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 21,618

Posted Mar. 07 2016 - 01:18 PM

The lee powder measure is a cheap option. I like the hornady lock and load dispenser.

#5 OFFLINE   52hubcap

52hubcap

• Member ID: 22,751

Posted Mar. 13 2016 - 06:35 PM

Just an FYI, "meters poorly" means it doesn't lay or stack consistently.  It's a volumetric problem which means same problem for spoons, "Dippers", and dispensers.   It's a way of saying "Best weigh it". 

Tj 

+1

Edited by 52hubcap, Mar. 13 2016 - 06:36 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   puke

puke

• Member ID: 31,805

Posted Feb. 05 2017 - 03:53 PM

I am in the crowd that will use a dispenser to charge to about 95 percent,..then trickle the last 5 percent in with a trickler.

I have some 800x but haven't used it yet. I need to set it up and see how much I hate the metering. I do believe that my old ideal powder thrower with the little ball to "bang" it after each thow...may be of some help with 800x. I really don't hear anything fun about trying to meter that stuff.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center