Range rifle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SLaw138

SLaw138

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 31,273

Posted May. 29 2016 - 05:41 AM

Can anyone recommend any outdoor (public) ranges in IL ? I suppose, more specifically, somewhere in the Chicago burbs ? Or perhaps something just over the border into Wisconsin or Indiana ?

#2 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted May. 29 2016 - 10:19 AM

The only truly open to the pubic range I know of is the Willow Slough range in Indiana. Just east of St Anne, IL.

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#3 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted May. 29 2016 - 10:23 AM

There was one in East Dundee, but that was 40 years ago.  

Signature:

A Vote for Trump is a vote for a liberal !

NRA Life Member

The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.

Repeal the 17th Amendment.

Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#4 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,055

Posted Jun. 03 2016 - 08:56 AM

The only truly open to the pubic range I know of is the Willow Slough range in Indiana. Just east of St Anne, IL.

Yea, i used to go there all the time, the ROs are a hoot too.

Signature:
If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal isn't for you.
Ignorance can be cured by knowledge, Stupid is Forever.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no eyes or ears."

"On every unauthoritative exercise of power by the legislature must the people rise in rebellion or their silence be construed into a surrender of that power to them? If so, how many rebellions should we have had already?"

"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."

#5 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

Posted Jun. 03 2016 - 08:57 AM

There was one in East Dundee, but that was 40 years ago.  

GAT is in ED. Your probably talking about the phesant farm. Last i heard it was private skeet.

#6 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

Posted Jun. 03 2016 - 09:32 AM

Basically, your gonna have to drive over an hour for a public outdoor range. It sucks living in Crook County.....

Theres McMiller Sports Complex. Not free, but fairly cheap for all day shooing.

#7 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jun. 03 2016 - 05:31 PM

GAT is in ED. Your probably talking about the phesant farm. Last i heard it was private skeet.

This place had a .22 pond they floated corn cops on for targets (can you say ricochet?) 

and a rifle range. I did not have a handgun at the time....

That is where I took my wife on our second date. She weighed 95 pounds soaking wet and the .308 about knocked her off the bench!

#8 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

Posted Jun. 03 2016 - 08:13 PM

This place had a .22 pond they floated corn cops on for targets (can you say ricochet?) 
and a rifle range. I did not have a handgun at the time....

That is where I took my wife on our second date. She weighed 95 pounds soaking wet and the .308 about knocked her off the bench!

Honestly, i have no idea, it was 10 years before i was born. But the oldest range in ED i know of is now a phesant farm. They used to have a full range decades ago, but the town has been built up.

To the OP, if you dont want to drive far, your only choices are GAT guns, Maxon Shooters, Bass Pro up in Gurnee Mills and On Target in Crystal Lake.

On Target would be my range of choice. Super friendly employees and they have signs posted that say take as much brass as you want! Plus the range is only a couple-few years old. For 1 hour and 8 targets IIRC is about $24.

Or, go where everyone goes...GAT. On the weekends, 45min-1 hr wait times, pay $2 to use their target holders(i tried bringing my own, they wont allow it) and if caught by an employee, they give you shiest about taking your brass.

I havent been to the new location of Maxon. But it looks nice on their website and they have a full bore gunsmith.

#9 OFFLINE   longie

longie

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 23,957

Posted Jan. 07 2017 - 06:11 PM

Union grove and Bristol, both in wi have outdoor ranges. Both are about 20-30 min from Il border. I love real close to six flags, and they would be my ranges to shoot rifle

Signature:

Acquiring parts to build.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Range, rifle

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center