ammo tula ammo

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   101st

101st

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 31,312

Posted Jul. 11 2016 - 09:50 PM

I almost always shoot Federal and some SS from time to time.  Between the two I swear I don't notice a difference other than appearance and cost.  If I use the same grain I cannot tell a difference at all.

Tula bulk ammo is pretty inexpensive.  Which makes me question quality.  I've only ever fired brass ammo and wonder if with their steel casing there will be FTE issues.  I'm aware they recently came out with brass ammo but I am specifically asking about their steel casing ammo.

Any feedback from members here who have cycled a lot of Tula? 9mm and .223.

Thanks.

#2 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 17,986

Posted Jul. 11 2016 - 09:53 PM

It is dirty but fairly reliable.

#3 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,055

Posted Jul. 11 2016 - 10:34 PM

Cabelas Heters brand is made by Tula, so if you have a Cabelas close by. The 62 gr fmj shot pretty good for what it is.

Signature:
If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal isn't for you.
Ignorance can be cured by knowledge, Stupid is Forever.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no eyes or ears."

"On every unauthoritative exercise of power by the legislature must the people rise in rebellion or their silence be construed into a surrender of that power to them? If so, how many rebellions should we have had already?"

"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."

#4 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted Jul. 11 2016 - 11:09 PM

I almost always shoot Federal and some SS from time to time.  Between the two I swear I don't notice a difference other than appearance and cost.  If I use the same grain I cannot tell a difference at all.

Tula bulk ammo is pretty inexpensive.  Which makes me question quality.  I've only ever fired brass ammo and wonder if with their steel casing there will be FTE issues.  I'm aware they recently came out with brass ammo but I am specifically asking about their steel casing ammo.

Any feedback from members here who have cycled a lot of Tula? 9mm and .223.

Thanks.

Never shot any in 9mm but my Colt has digested a fair amount of Tula and never had any issues. 

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

I mean if you are going to go potato go full potato.

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#5 OFFLINE   KyAR

KyAR

• Member ID: 8,189

Posted Jul. 11 2016 - 11:35 PM

Dirty, alittle under powered, but good other wise. Well it might not be as accurate.

I have shot metric $h¡ton of it and Wolf 9X19mm NATO and .40 S&W, alot of 7.62X39mm Soviet out of my Vz-58 and a good bit in .223/5.56.

Note, don't shoot alot of steel lacquered cases, then switch to brass. Not without cleaning first. The remaining lacquer in the chamber can stick a brass case.

The problem stems from 1) the lacquer "cooks off" the case alittle with the heat of firing. 2) the steel case doesn't expand as much. 3) the brass does expand more and gets "glued" in chamber.

Alittle bore cleaner and a tap of a cleaning rod does it.

Since the steel doesn't expand and seal the chamber well that's why it's 1) dirty. 2) not as fast. 3) lacks some accuracy.

And when you clean, don't forget to scrub the extractor, the lacquer can and will gum it up.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Really it's good stuff for plinking and training if razor edge accuracy isn't needed.

KyAR

P.S., it is non reloadable, so just don't worry about the case. A big reason I use it in "combat type" matches that don't need high accuracy.

#6 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

• Member ID: 21,495

Posted Jul. 12 2016 - 01:04 AM

Ahot about 850 rounds out of my 14.5" build. It works, 1 FTE malfunction. Got the mushy trigger, tap rack bang.

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#7 OFFLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Member ID: 16,628

Posted Jul. 12 2016 - 05:30 AM

I've had multiple issues with it. Fte, ftf. It is dirty as shat too. I won't run it in my rifles. Ymmv.

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#8 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted Jul. 12 2016 - 11:05 AM

Dirty, alittle under powered, but good other wise. Well it might not be as accurate.

I have shot metric $h¡ton of it and Wolf 9X19mm NATO and .40 S&W, alot of 7.62X39mm Soviet out of my Vz-58 and a good bit in .223/5.56.

Note, don't shoot alot of steel lacquered cases, then switch to brass. Not without cleaning first. The remaining lacquer in the chamber can stick a brass case.

The problem stems from 1) the lacquer "cooks off" the case alittle with the heat of firing. 2) the steel case doesn't expand as much. 3) the brass does expand more and gets "glued" in chamber.

Since the steel doesn't expand and seal the chamber well that's why it's 1) dirty. 2) not as fast. 3) lacks some accuracy.

And when you clean, don't forget to scrub the extractor, the lacquer can and will gum it up.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Really it's good stuff for plinking and training if razor edge accuracy isn't needed.

KyAR

P.S., it is non reloadable, so just don't worry about the case. A big reason I use it in "combat type" matches that don't need high accuracy.

It's actually a myth that the lacquer melts in your chamber. I've seen video where they put a torch to it briefly and it still didn't melt. The chamber gets sticky from the dirty powder residue that accumulates because the steel case doesn't expand to seal it. If you had melted lacquer in your chamber, you'd not be removing it without a hell of a lot of effort and possibly a reamer or some way to scrape it out.

Additionally, the bi-metal bullets will wear out your barrel faster as they have steel as a % of the jacket material. Not a big deal if you shoot less expensive barrels as you can replace several with the cost savings you'll have using the steel cased ammo. I however would not recommend using it in any precision type rifle.

I have shot thousands of it through several ARs. I wanted to know just how many rounds it'd take to gum up any particular AR just for my own knowledge. The S&W went over 1,000 rounds and never did choke, though it was definitely getting sluggish.

The Delton went somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+ before it choked.

The thing is, you need to try a little in each weapon you want to use. Some will run it fine (usually the ones that are overgassed), others will short stroke because it's generally weaker ammo.

Of the steel cased variety, I'd recommend Silver Bear, Golden Bear, Brown Bear and MFS. Some are zinc coated, and ALL of the afore mentioned are more powerful than the Tula variety.

I'll also state the Barnaul plant is the one that makes the better stuff. The Tula plant is the one that is generally lower quality.

Wolf ammo is made by many different plants as they are simply importers. The old Wolf was made at the Tula plant (as could be seen by their headstamp). The newer (steel cased) Wolf has been made by the Barnaul plant for several years now,

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#9 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

Professional Elephant Shat Catcher.

• Member ID: 41

Posted Jul. 12 2016 - 12:18 PM

Ive seen bad batches where the rounds were not pressed in correctly or their shell sizing was off.

Had a bullet literally fall out of the casing when trying to chamber on an Auto Ord Thompson.

It did not go fully into battery, so I tried to rack it out.  Shell casing came out, powder poured down over the top of the next round in the mag, and the bullet itself was just sitting in the chamber.

And I had not brought a cleaning rod so I had to bring it home that way then use a rod to pop the round out.

Cut a good day of shooting short....

ETA - that said, I've shot probably 5-10K of it in 9mm, and 5.56 prior to that.

I don't buy it anymore though.

Edited by captainbarred, Jul. 12 2016 - 12:18 PM.

Signature:

worshipsig1.gif

"There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men."

- Sgt Zim - Starship Troopers

"I'm the itch you can't scratch! The gas you can't pass!"

- Jack Stiles

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

-H. L. Mencken

FUAC

#10 ONLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 21,618

Posted Jul. 12 2016 - 12:21 PM

It's actually a myth that the lacquer melts in your chamber. I've seen video where they put a torch to it briefly and it still didn't melt. The chamber gets sticky from the dirty powder residue that accumulates because the steel case doesn't expand to seal it. If you had melted lacquer in your chamber, you'd not be removing it without a hell of a lot of effort and possibly a reamer or some way to scrape it out.

Additionally, the bi-metal bullets will wear out your barrel faster as they have steel as a % of the jacket material. Not a big deal if you shoot less expensive barrels as you can replace several with the cost savings you'll have using the steel cased ammo. I however would not recommend using it in any precision type rifle.

I have shot thousands of it through several ARs. I wanted to know just how many rounds it'd take to gum up any particular AR just for my own knowledge. The S&W went over 1,000 rounds and never did choke, though it was definitely getting sluggish.

The Delton went somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+ before it choked.

The thing is, you need to try a little in each weapon you want to use. Some will run it fine (usually the ones that are overgassed), others will short stroke because it's generally weaker ammo.

Of the steel cased variety, I'd recommend Silver Bear, Golden Bear, Brown Bear and MFS. Some are zinc coated, and ALL of the afore mentioned are more powerful than the Tula variety.

I'll also state the Barnaul plant is the one that makes the better stuff. The Tula plant is the one that is generally lower quality.

Wolf ammo is made by many different plants as they are simply importers. The old Wolf was made at the Tula plant (as could be seen by their headstamp). The newer (steel cased) Wolf has been made by the Barnaul plant for several years now,

This. KY- the lacquer does nothing in the chamber or barrel.

#11 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

• Member ID: 20,633

Posted Jul. 12 2016 - 05:33 PM

Other than green tips, all my ammo is steel cased, both SP and FMJ. However I only use Silver Bear or Wolf. I've never had any issues with it in my S&W M&P15. A plus is that due to these bullets being steel jacketed with a copper wash they should offer better penetration for those that value that sort of thing.

Signature:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

#12 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

• Member ID: 17,986

Posted Jul. 13 2016 - 05:10 AM

On a positive note it will increase your gun cleaning skills! :laugh:

#13 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jul. 13 2016 - 05:31 AM

KyAR

Would it not be better just to stay away from the lacquered stuff  completely?

Between Tula and their ammo sold under Brown Bear etc. label are there not a number of inexpensive steel case choices that do not have

lacquer on them.

Thanks for the info.

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#14 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,055

Posted Jul. 13 2016 - 08:18 AM

Between Tula and their ammo sold under Brown Bear etc. label are there not a number of inexpensive steel case choices that do not have
lacquer on them.
Thanks for the info.

If steel cases didnt have laquer, or some other coating, they would rust fairly quickly.

#15 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted Jul. 13 2016 - 09:52 AM

lacquer on them.
Thanks for the info.

Re-read my post. Tula and Bear ammo are NOT the same plant or quality.

Nor is lacquer an issue.

#16 OFFLINE   BushXM15

BushXM15

• Member ID: 6,707

Posted Jul. 13 2016 - 11:59 AM

KyAR

( Dirty, alittle under powered, but good other wise. Well it might not be as accurate.)  TRUE !.

Bulk fodder dirty inaccurate  and for what intended purpose too cycle ones action and hear a bang ??.

Personal weapons deserve Personal ammo  and as accurate as can be tuned  IMO ...

Signature:

G. is a used Dildo without batteries ! ...

#17 ONLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Member ID: 21,618

Posted Jul. 13 2016 - 12:04 PM

Nor is lacquer an issue.

Again this.

I like lacquered more than bare steel. Granted, since reloading I haven't bought any steel but I still have a good amount that I'll shoot out of rotation when I can.

#18 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jul. 13 2016 - 05:31 PM

Nor is lacquer an issue.

Yes, sir.

#19 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jul. 13 2016 - 05:36 PM

Nor is lacquer an issue.

I thought they were using a copper wash or some such thing,

so you did not have to deal with the sticky stuff. 

Hell, I don't know, I don't own an AK, or use steel.

My post was in the form of a question because I'm trying to learn,

not because I'm on Jeopardy.   :segrin:

Edited by Retcop, Jul. 13 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#20 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Member ID: 26,245

Posted Jul. 13 2016 - 05:43 PM

I know various flavors of the "bear" ammo comes in zinc plate, brass plate and lacquered steel cases. And as Newbe points out Tula and "bear" are not the same ammo.

Barnaul makes the "Bear" brands of ammo. Here's a breakdown from Wikerpoo.....

https://en.wikipedia...Cartridge_Plant

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges.
I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

"Good times create weak men. Weak men create bad times. Bad times create strong men. Strong men create good times." 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ammo, tula ammo

Forum Statistics

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center