• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 21,495

Posted Aug. 02 2016 - 08:13 PM

Went shooting last weekend and was having an issue with my ak74, it would shoot the first round but then it wouldn't shoot the 2nd. It did this 3 times. I would remove the mag, empty the chamber, insert the same mag, rack and the first round would fire.
The trigger would feel fine for the first round, then the second it felt off. You could pull it and get a click every time even though it wasn't firing and there was a round in the chamber.
I removed the dust cover, pulled the recoil spring and reset the trigger twice with the bolt then reassembled and it ran like a sewing machine, only shot about 140 rounds through it though.
I have tried my google foo but have come up empty handed. Its a stock Arsenal slr 104fr
ETA it has an Ultimak rail on it so not completely stock

Edited by Derk_digler24, Aug. 02 2016 - 08:16 PM.

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#2 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Aug. 02 2016 - 08:20 PM

Also you wouldn't get the mushy trigger, even when the gun was empty and dry fired. It would be a softish trigger pull and an audible click. Once i tore it down it worked fine though

#3 ONLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

• Member ID: 24,941

Posted Aug. 02 2016 - 09:11 PM

Make sure both axis pins are sitting correctly and whatever pin retainer, whether it's a shepherds crook, retaining plate, or whatever it may be, is properly seated on each pin groove to not allow either to back out. That would be my first guess.

Signature:

Never forget.

We will not comply.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Aug. 02 2016 - 10:01 PM

No retainer plate, the shepherds crook looks like it is seated correctly, around the trigger pin and under the hammer pin, kind of hard to see under the hammer pin but it looks like it is in the pin groove.

#5 ONLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

Posted Aug. 02 2016 - 10:54 PM

The thing that gets me is why it wouldn't fire the second. That's why I believed it could've been an issue with the axis pins backing out. Now, you say that your trigger "felt off". There's going to be two things that might affect that if it isn't the axis pin, and that's the hammer or the hammer spring (trigger return spring). Please excuse me if this sounds as if though I am insulting your intelligence, but I'd rather just make sure. Is your hammer somehow installed backwards by chance? If not, are you sure that one of the hammer spring "legs" didn't dislodge itself from the trigger and catch itself somewhere it doesn't belong, causing a different feel of the trigger? If it's not any of that, then next time you go to shoot it and it acts up, pop the dust cover, fire a round and see if you notice anything "off". Otherwise, I can't think of anything else it might be right now.

#6 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Aug. 02 2016 - 11:42 PM

This is my only ak so i am no expert by any means. Any advice you can offer will help, no insult taken. As far as the trigger it looks to be in the right order, looking at pics online.
It felt lighter, and would travel the normal distance to fire. There was an audible click like something was catching on the trigger but i dont believe the hammer was falling. I did try a new way to install the dust cover, by pressing the recoil spring "lug/guide" against the guide rails on the reciever, then putting the cover on and working the action. It forced the button through the hole in the dust cover and was easier then the normal way to put it together. Idk if this would affect anything but when i reassembled everything at the range it ran fine and i put the dust cover on the regular way. I have had it apart 4 or 5 times trying to get it to malfunction but so far it seems fine. Every install of the dust cover has been by pushing it down over the release button.
The only thing is i have full trigger motion after i dry fire it. Theres no mushy trigger or lack of movement after the hammer falls. Is that mnormal?

Edited by Derk_digler24, Aug. 02 2016 - 11:45 PM.

#7 ONLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

Posted Aug. 03 2016 - 12:22 AM

That is 100% normal on the trigger after dry-fire. I don't know what to think about it malfunctioning then fixing itself after a field strip, though. Perhaps something was just not quite right, and re-seating it fixed it? As far as the dust cover goes, I've found the easiest way, for me, is to insert the front of the cover into the front trunnion and with a down and forward pressure applied, smack the back end of the cover over the button on the guide rod and it snaps into place. Best I can say is, either try an AK specific forum to find the real "guru's", or attempt to replicate the failure and try to diagnose it from there. :tiphat:

#8 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Aug. 03 2016 - 12:29 AM

Ak dust covers are a beotch.
I habe found where the double wound trigger spring moves over the hammer, but i cant say for sure thats the malfunction i had, if you push the trigger forward it will reset the spring, and you can fire the 2nd round. I didnt push the trigger forward so im not sure if this is the issue.
Only thing i could find on you tube.

#9 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Aug. 03 2016 - 12:37 AM

Also i have been trying to recreate the issue i just cant seem to get it to freak up, which is good, but i have lost some trust in the firearm. It sucks because i really like the way this gun feels and shoots. I am planning on getting another but not if this shat keeps up

#10 ONLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

Posted Aug. 03 2016 - 01:07 AM

Ak dust covers are a beotch.
I habe found where the double wound trigger spring moves over the hammer, but i cant say for sure thats the malfunction i had, if you push the trigger forward it will reset the spring, and you can fire the 2nd round. I didnt push the trigger forward so im not sure if this is the issue.
Only thing i could find on you tube.

Maybe it's just that it's late, but I'm having a bit of difficulty following what you're trying to say here. Happen to have a link to the Youtube video you're referring to?

#11 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Aug. 03 2016 - 01:28 AM

https://youtu.be/poE26eOzCik

#12 ONLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

Posted Aug. 03 2016 - 01:51 AM

If you ever notice it doing that, take the hammer spring out and bend the legs in the direction necessary to remedy the problem. Otherwise, replace the hammer spring. Usually, it requires bending them toward the receiver, but if the hammer spring was mangled to begin with, who knows what it might need?

ETA: This will help so you don't get your fingers snapped by that damned hammer spring if you ever have to take the FCG apart:

Edited by Forsaken352, Aug. 03 2016 - 01:58 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Aug. 04 2016 - 08:07 PM

Still havent been able to recreate the malfunction. Just going to have to keep shooting it. I won't be trusting this rifle for awhile

#14 ONLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

Posted Aug. 04 2016 - 09:25 PM

Tell ya what, just for curiosity's sake, try popping the dust cover, pulling the spring, guide and carrier, then just mess around with the innards. Pull the trigger, catching the hammer with your thumb, keep the trigger held, re-seat the hammer onto the disconnector, release the trigger, repeat. Try dropping the hammer (always catch it, obviously. Never let it slam the center support), then push on the disconnector. Good springy action to it? See if you can get anything odd to happen. Perhaps try using the tip of a bullet or something and push on both axis pins from the right side. They typically have a very small amount of play, but nothing drastic. An Ak being so simple of a design, it's difficult for things to go wrong unless something is out of spec. Do the SLR's have free floating firing pins? If so, shake the bolt and verify that the pin is freely moving. I'm not sure what else would keep it from firing, but hopefully it was just a one time fluke.

Edited by Forsaken352, Aug. 04 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Aug. 04 2016 - 10:09 PM

Already fired it about 90-100 times stripped, didnt try to move anything though just looking for spring movement

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center