Accessories for Mosin Negant?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 31,177

Posted Oct. 28 2016 - 05:49 PM

My grandson has a Chinese Type 53, M44 Mosin Negant.  He tells me how much he likes this rifle but he also tells me it kicks like a mule.  In checking the internet, I have found some muzzle breaks and a butt pad for this rifle.  I want to send them to him for Christmas.  Before I do that, I thought I would check with you Combloc guys and get any recommendations you may have for these items.  Please help.

#2 OFFLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 417

Posted Oct. 28 2016 - 05:54 PM

I was shooting with a friend. He had just put a bolt on muzzle brake on his Mosin. First shot, the brake blew off in several parts. First shot. Don't waste money on a brake.

• SturmGewehr likes this

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#3 OFFLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

• Member ID: 24,941

Posted Oct. 28 2016 - 06:04 PM

If you'd like to do something nice for him, I suggest picking up some original stripper clips, and perhaps some clip pouches. The new clips suck. If he finds the recoil to be harsh, then a slip-on recoil pad is a good idea, too.

• SturmGewehr likes this

Signature:

Never forget.

We will not comply.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 OFFLINE   The Hobbit

The Hobbit

• Member ID: 30,279

Posted Oct. 28 2016 - 08:26 PM

I would just put a slip on recoil pad on it. Chances are he could use the extra length of pull anyways. The muzzle brake would definitely be a plus, but only if it clamps on and requires no modification of the rifle. I would encourage him to keep it all original. The M44s are almost collectible, especially if they're in nice shape.

Signature:

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."    

-Jesus of Nazareth

#5 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Oct. 28 2016 - 11:08 PM

Texas Precision makes a muzzle brake for his rifle which is a bolt on for about $60.00.  I know this muzzle brake is going to be louder which is another issue.  Add to this some muzzle devices advertise they are compensators (for Type 53, M44).  Why would a compensator be of any value for this type of rifle?  I am going down on the muzzle brake idea.  The original stripper clips are a great idea.  So is the ammo pouch and these are available.

How about the butt pads?  Does anyone have a specific recommendation for a butt pad, a good brand, anything?

#6 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Oct. 29 2016 - 05:14 AM

Don't buy the $19.99 muzzle brake on e-bay

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#7 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Oct. 29 2016 - 06:26 AM

Good suggestions in this thread but just wanted to mention the ultimate gift would be the rifle accessories kit that comes with the stored rifles.  that would include sling, bayonet, ammo pouches, brass oil bottle, etc.  Importers typically separate those and sell them as individual items mostly due to a lot of them are crap from storage, but pretty good sets can still be had fairly inexpensively. 

#8 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Oct. 29 2016 - 01:29 PM

Good suggestions in this thread but just wanted to mention the ultimate gift would be the rifle accessories kit that comes with the stored rifles.  that would include sling, bayonet, ammo pouches, brass oil bottle, etc.  Importers typically separate those and sell them as individual items mostly due to a lot of them are crap from storage, but pretty good sets can still be had fairly inexpensively. 

I have seen those and considered those.  My grandson is 26 and I think more interested in shooting and something that will make shooting more comfortable for him and his girl friend than the cool ammo pouches which older people like us find so cool.  But, they are in the running as a gift.

#9 OFFLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

Posted Oct. 29 2016 - 01:39 PM

I only suggested the ammo pouches due to my own experiences. One of my 91/30's came with two ammo pouches, and I later purchased 10 original stripper clips. Without those pouches, clips are a pain in the ass to carry. Since one pouch holds 6 clips, I filled one with 6, then filled the other with 3 one one side, and 1 and an oil bottle on the other. Worked out well that way.

#10 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Oct. 29 2016 - 01:44 PM

I only suggested the ammo pouches due to my own experiences. One of my 91/30's came with two ammo pouches, and I later purchased 10 original stripper clips. Without those pouches, clips are a pain in the ass to carry. Since one pouch holds 6 clips, I filled one with 6, then filled the other with 3 one one side, and 1 and an oil bottle on the other. Worked out well that way.

Your post was very much appreciated and I am considering this as a gift as I mentioned in regard to TomJefferson's post.  Over the last couple years my grandson has had this Mosin he has mentioned to me sore shoulders from firing it, although he loves it.  He has his own general contracting business now but he is just starting up and has to work like a dog doing construction every day.  My first objective would be to lessen this recoil problem if I can.  If not, then move to the cool stuff.

I have found butt pads on the internet.  They vary in price.  One from AIM Sports was about $8.00 and looked just like all the others.  I have two AIM Sports products on my AR, a vertical post and quad rail.  Even though they are made in China (or one was) these are as solid as rocks for me and I am impressed.  But, if there is a better butt pad out there I want it regardless of price.  Any suggestions?

Edited by SturmGewehr, Oct. 29 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

Posted Oct. 29 2016 - 05:52 PM

Well, I've never used a slip on recoil pad for any of my rifles, so I cannot comment on anything there other than "made in the USA" is always better, in my opinion. I have, however, used a GP-25/30 recoil pad on the Romanian wire folding stock of my Saiga 12. I can say that it works, and works well. Now, it may be more than you're looking to spend, but this is the only thing I can recommend seeing as it is the only one I have experience with. Keep in mind, I was using a small, metal wire folding stock on a semi-automatic 12 gauge, and the recoil pad I'm using tamed it to feeling more like I'm using a .410 with more bark. Now, this isn't the exact same as I'm using, but it basically is. I assume it's just slightly larger to accept the Mosin/SVD/Etc.:

http://kalinkaoptics...r-butt-pad.html

• SturmGewehr likes this

#12 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Oct. 29 2016 - 08:03 PM

Well, I've never used a slip on recoil pad for any of my rifles, so I cannot comment on anything there other than "made in the USA" is always better, in my opinion. I have, however, used a GP-25/30 recoil pad on the Romanian wire folding stock of my Saiga 12. I can say that it works, and works well. Now, it may be more than you're looking to spend, but this is the only thing I can recommend seeing as it is the only one I have experience with. Keep in mind, I was using a small, metal wire folding stock on a semi-automatic 12 gauge, and the recoil pad I'm using tamed it to feeling more like I'm using a .410 with more bark. Now, this isn't the exact same as I'm using, but it basically is. I assume it's just slightly larger to accept the Mosin/SVD/Etc.:

http://kalinkaoptics...r-butt-pad.html

Thank you for this information and the link.  It says it will fit a Mosin.  Thanks again.

#13 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Oct. 30 2016 - 04:46 PM

Forsaken352's input of the Kalina butt stock is the leading contender, thanks again.

In looking at Mosin recoil on the internet, people say the sling is essential in damping recoil.   Of course, this is new to me since I use a sling on the AR to steady my aim and there really is not that much recoil anyway.  Does anyone have any more information regarding using a sling on the Mosin for recoil limitation?  I don't even know if my grandson has a sling.

#14 OFFLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

Posted Oct. 30 2016 - 05:13 PM

I cannot think of any way a sling would help reduce felt recoil, unless perhaps the user was wrapping the web around the butt plate as a make-shift pad. That'd be weird. Anyways... The beauty of the Mosin Nagant is in its simplicity (as well as the price), and that's why I think that the recoil pad I linked would be a great addition to that rifle for those who are recoil shy. It's easy on easy off. If you think that you'd like to add more to it, ammunition, clips, an original dog-collar sling, and perhaps some clip pouches would be the best things to choose from. Just my thoughts.  :tiphat: 

#15 OFFLINE   The Hobbit

The Hobbit

Posted Oct. 30 2016 - 06:08 PM

If you want something that's kind of sort of correct for the rifle, you could get him an SVD style buttpad for it. The Russians made SVD type buttpads for several different rifles and grenade launchers, and they have been known to use them for Mosins sometimes. Probably not the Russians themselves, but combloc countries that used surplus Mosins into the 70s or so. I can't remember which version it is, but there is one that is supposed to fit pretty well on a Mosin stock. 

The original ones can be very pricy and hard to find, but there are repros out there. The guys on an AK specific forum could probably direct you to one. I believe the one below is a repro.

mosinbp.jpg

• SturmGewehr likes this

#16 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Oct. 31 2016 - 02:01 PM

If you want something that's kind of sort of correct for the rifle, you could get him an SVD style buttpad for it. The Russians made SVD type buttpads for several different rifles and grenade launchers, and they have been known to use them for Mosins sometimes. Probably not the Russians themselves, but combloc countries that used surplus Mosins into the 70s or so. I can't remember which version it is, but there is one that is supposed to fit pretty well on a Mosin stock. 

The original ones can be very pricy and hard to find, but there are repros out there. The guys on an AK specific forum could probably direct you to one. I believe the one below is a repro.

mosinbp.jpg

Thanks.  This looks slightly different from Forsaken352's link to the Kalina butt pad but used for the same thing.  Do you know a supplier or have a link for this one?

#17 OFFLINE   The Hobbit

The Hobbit

Posted Oct. 31 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thanks.  This looks slightly different from Forsaken352's link to the Kalina butt pad but used for the same thing.  Do you know a supplier or have a link for this one?

http://www.rusmilita...irearms_svd.htm

These guys might be able to help you, but they're going to have the genuine article, not the repro, and priced accordingly. I know I've seen repros, I just can't remember where. I didn't see the link to the one from Kalina, so that might be more of what I'm talking about. Also keep in mind that there were different versions of these, and there's one that I've read was popular on the PU snipers that were used long after the war ended. There are two main ones I'm aware of off the top of my head, the SVD one, and then a second one that was made specifically for AK74s equipped with grenade launchers. The shape of the AK74 stock is very similar to that of the mosins, so my best guess is that's the one you want. However, one site I saw had at least three or four different versions, so there are more I'm not even aware of. I really think your best bet would be to get on the marketplace subforum of one of the AK specific sites and see if you can find someone willing to sell you one. That's how I've found all my rare combloc stuff. There are people in Eastern Europe who have access to this stuff by the truck load who sell it on the AK forums.

ETA: The one in the photo is the same one forsaken linked you to. 

Edited by The Hobbit, Oct. 31 2016 - 02:15 PM.

• SturmGewehr likes this

#18 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Oct. 31 2016 - 04:50 PM

http://www.rusmilita...irearms_svd.htm

These guys might be able to help you, but they're going to have the genuine article, not the repro, and priced accordingly. I know I've seen repros, I just can't remember where. I didn't see the link to the one from Kalina, so that might be more of what I'm talking about. Also keep in mind that there were different versions of these, and there's one that I've read was popular on the PU snipers that were used long after the war ended. There are two main ones I'm aware of off the top of my head, the SVD one, and then a second one that was made specifically for AK74s equipped with grenade launchers. The shape of the AK74 stock is very similar to that of the mosins, so my best guess is that's the one you want. However, one site I saw had at least three or four different versions, so there are more I'm not even aware of. I really think your best bet would be to get on the marketplace subforum of one of the AK specific sites and see if you can find someone willing to sell you one. That's how I've found all my rare combloc stuff. There are people in Eastern Europe who have access to this stuff by the truck load who sell it on the AK forums.

ETA: The one in the photo is the same one forsaken linked you to. 

This looks like the same one.  The prices are in Russian.

#19 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Oct. 31 2016 - 05:22 PM

I cannot think of any way a sling would help reduce felt recoil, unless perhaps the user was wrapping the web around the butt plate as a make-shift pad. That'd be weird. Anyways... The beauty of the Mosin Nagant is in its simplicity (as well as the price), and that's why I think that the recoil pad I linked would be a great addition to that rifle for those who are recoil shy. It's easy on easy off. If you think that you'd like to add more to it, ammunition, clips, an original dog-collar sling, and perhaps some clip pouches would be the best things to choose from. Just my thoughts.  :tiphat:

Sling:  I googled something like Mosin Nagant, recoil limitation and got a series of responses, some from Mosin guys on their websites.  One just starting talking about a sling as a recoil limiting factor as if it were common knowledge.  Nobody else objected.  Sorry I do not have the link.  I just assumed (yea that was a mistake) that wrapping the sling about your forearm after going through it once with your whole arm was going to put enough tension on the rifle to transfer some of the recoil to that side (weak side) of the body.  As I say, that was just my assumption.

#20 OFFLINE   The Hobbit

The Hobbit

Posted Oct. 31 2016 - 06:58 PM

Sling:  I googled something like Mosin Nagant, recoil limitation and got a series of responses, some from Mosin guys on their websites.  One just starting talking about a sling as a recoil limiting factor as if it were common knowledge.  Nobody else objected.  Sorry I do not have the link.  I just assumed (yea that was a mistake) that wrapping the sling about your forearm after going through it once with your whole arm was going to put enough tension on the rifle to transfer some of the recoil to that side (weak side) of the body.  As I say, that was just my assumption.

I'm a big fan of the arm wrap method if it's an option. I wouldn't say it helps with recoil so much as muzzle rise and overall stability. It's really more of a way to steady your aim, and I feel like it helps me recover more quickly. 

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center