11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jchtrh

jchtrh

"Tribesman"

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 5,622

Contributor

Posted Dec. 24 2016 - 02:01 AM

These look pretty good, not sure of the price though. $999 seems steep, do any of you know about the company and this particular rifle?

Any insight would be helpful, I'm looking for an AK-47 with a decent wood furniture set.

http://www2.leearmor...ed-stock-ak-47/

Signature:
“If you are going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy"
Martin Luther King Jr.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
George Carlin

My State is BIGGER than yours!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

#2 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Dec. 24 2016 - 02:19 AM

I would love to have one of those, especially because they are (partially) from Poland, the land of my Grandfather's birth. 

I agree the price is steep, especially in today's market.

I have wanted an AK for some time (it makes tactical sense to have a semi auto in that caliber, IMO) 

James please keep us posted on any further research you do on these particular weapons.

I am ignorant of the AK platform. Even some things on the list of features left me wondering why a particular item was a good thing,

although I take their word for it. (The inclusion of Tapco parts made me wonder, though.)

If the price comes down, and this really is an exceptional piece, I would be willing to forgo another AR to pick up an high quality AK.

Good Luck !

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#3 OFFLINE   andy2205

andy2205

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 4,205

Posted Dec. 24 2016 - 10:43 AM

If you are looking for a "first" AK (yes they are as addictive as AR style rifles) this would be a good choice. IO Inc. had a bad rap when they where in NC., but when the space shuttle program came to an end, they moved to Florida's Space Coast and picked up some talent. My old boat driving buddy from work owns one of their rifles and has been very happy with it. If you can live with an AK made in the US, this is it. https://www.classicf...kbyiooncakm247c

Here is another made by Zastava. Zastava has been cranking out AK arms for a very long time and is a supplier to the Military. I have a Zastava in 7.62x51 and will attest that it is built like a tank. https://www.classicf....com/papriflews

Now if you want to go to the higher end of the spectrum, you can by a Vepr. Made in Russia in a Russian factory. I have a Vepr in 5.45x39 and have been very happy with it. Only down side to the Vepr in 5mm is proprietary magazines. The Vepr rifles have adjustable rear sights, so no drifting the front sight pin. https://www.classicf...o-ak47-fmak4711

Arsenal is a good source for high end AK rifles. Again, I own an Arsenal and will vouch for their products, but be prepared to shell out some bucks. Their rifles have only increased in price over the last few years. http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/home.php

Want one of the best and have deep pockets? Buy a Krebs custom.

If you want something completely different, but want a 7.62x39, this is a good way to go. https://www.czechpoi...2-ergonomic?l=1

Now for my standard warning, run do not walk away from Century Arms, they seem to have the most complaints of anyone out there. There are other companies that I have not researched or seen examples of their work. You pay your money and you take your chances. I have nothing to do with Classic Arms other than their website has some good examples of AK rifles.

Signature:

0xCkRE3.png

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
George Orwell

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"I don't get that -- people going to war over religion. I don't know, I could see going to war over justice or democracy or even revenge. But if you're going to war over religion, now you're just killing people in an argument over who has the better imaginary friend." Richard Jeni

#4 OFFLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Member ID: 26,113

Posted Dec. 24 2016 - 10:50 AM

At that price i would rather buy one from two rivers http://www.tworivers....com/Rifles.htm
so it has all the correct marking with their info printed on the under side. As for century arms, they are the cheapest parts kits on the market!!! My last one was cut up and rebuilt lol.

Edited by hzhardy, Dec. 24 2016 - 10:52 AM.

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

#5 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Member ID: 19,861

Posted Dec. 24 2016 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the info, Gents.

James, good luck with those Polish beauties !

#6 OFFLINE   jchtrh

jchtrh

"Tribesman"

Contributor

Posted Dec. 24 2016 - 02:24 PM

Thank you for the info!

This would be my third AK, I have an Arsenal and a WASR, so I am not having an extreme itch to buy one. I do want another one that is more authentic though.

I guess I will keep looking around or just save up for what I want.

Thank you again.

#7 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Dec. 24 2016 - 04:21 PM

Now for my standard warning, run do not walk away from Century Arms, they seem to have the most complaints of anyone out there. There are other companies that I have not researched or seen examples of their work. You pay your money and you take your chances. I have nothing to do with Classic Arms other than their website has some good examples of AK rifles.

And I am once again obligated to poke my nose in here. I own a Century C39 (gen 1) and am happy as hell with it. Yes, Century used to make crap. They got much better. I especially love that this is 100% US made.

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges.
I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

And.... BFYTW.

#8 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Dec. 24 2016 - 04:26 PM

While this may be off topic.. What I really want is a 5.56x45/223 AK that takes AR15/M16/STANAG mags.

That would give you the rock solid abuse the snot out of it AK reliability with the ubiquity of AR mags and 5.56/223 ammo here in the USA.

I know there is a company doing these conversions. And I think Zastava was making a pistol AK that took AR mags.

#9 OFFLINE   andy2205

andy2205

Posted Dec. 24 2016 - 05:16 PM

And I am once again obligated to poke my nose in here. I own a Century C39 (gen 1) and am happy as hell with it. Yes, Century used to make crap. They got much better. I especially love that this is 100% US made.

I'm only trying to help people make an informed decision.

Century's warranty police doc states: http://www.centuryar...icyIDWaiver.pdf

"All firearms/receivers sold as “new”, or manufactured/assembled by Century have (1)
year repair/replacement warranty from the day the firearm/receiver was shipped from
Century’s warehouse to the customer, unless noted otherwise."

There are customers that were left hanging based on the length of time the firearm sat on the shelf.

There is a shop that actually specializes in repairing their gross errors in production. IE: Tantals with barrels of the wrong bore diameter, Cetme rifles with ground bolts to correct headspace, AK rifles with various problems.

Link if you need help with a Century product: http://fairfaxfirear...-arms-guns.html

And a thread covering issues with a Century C39V2: http://www.akfiles.o...460ba0&t=259054

Some good comments in that one.

Merry Christmas!

#10 OFFLINE   jchtrh

jchtrh

"Tribesman"

Contributor

Posted Dec. 25 2016 - 04:20 AM

Andy, are you saying these Lee Armory AK's are rebranding IO AK's?

Just confused because you touched on quite a few others with really mentioning the one I posted about. Any information helps.

#11 OFFLINE   andy2205

andy2205

Posted Dec. 25 2016 - 09:30 AM

Andy, are you saying these Lee Armory AK's are rebranding IO AK's?

Just confused because you touched on quite a few others with really mentioning the one I posted about. Any information helps.

No James, I didn't mean to confuse you,  I was kicking out some choices that were as close to the "real" thing as you can get, with the exception of the IO Inc. firearm, that is a good entry level AK, for someone who just wants to stick their toes in the water. I didn't mean to imply that Lee Armory was re-branding anyone's rifles.

When the importation of weapons barrels stopped, it let the door open for a lot of people to start cranking out firearms that others can't compete with as far as price points. Just look at what happened with the prices and availability of original AK kits. You can now buy a US made AK or pay a premium for an import.

I was lucky enough to start collecting when AKs were everywhere and they were around $300. One of my favorites is still my Romanian SAR-1 with all it's crap finish and sharp edges, but it was built in an AK factory and the receiver has the reinforced area for the 3rd pin for the full auto FCG.

Since you already have a couple of AK rifles, you might want to look around for one of the D-Technic Vz58 from the Czech Republic. They are lighter than an AK, very accurate and have quite a few original accessories available. 

Also Atlantic Firearms has a few rifles that they say are manufactured by Atlantic Firearms (who knows) on original parts kits. Of course, they don't include the original barrels and have enough US parts to meet 922r. Are they AKs? Yes. Are they real Aks? No. Some crazy shat, isn't it?

Merry Christmas!

#12 OFFLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

• Member ID: 17,136

Posted Dec. 25 2016 - 09:50 AM

Since there have been mentions of those dangerous POS rifles made by I.O, I will just leave this thread here in case anyone is actually considering risking injury and buying one of those - http://ar15armory.co...392-io-vs-akou/

Forum Statistics

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center