18 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Hold My Beer and Watch This!

• Group:Administrator
  • Member ID: 1

Contributor

Posted Jan. 01 2017 - 10:46 PM

Alright guys I have a new 4X4 truck with 425 ponies under the hood and I will say right now this is the fastest 100% stock factory 4X4 pickup I have driven yet.

I do not like loud vehicles I think they suck and should be outlawed on the highway, but can anyone tell me where I can get dual exhaust and how to get it installed without messing up my warranty?

Am I required to have it done through GM dealer even though they send me to a exhaust shop or what?

GM offers the Borla catback dual exhaust from muffler to tail pipe for my truck, but again I do not want a loud truck, but I want to take the ban off my truck's balls.

gallery_1_266_1007667.jpg

Signature:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed
Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.
Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

#2 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Jan. 01 2017 - 11:00 PM

I would say if you are worried go through the dealership. If they take it to a third party to be done then you are off the hook.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life
M1Garand.jpg

3b3e8bab-4ecf-46a2-a495-0d6d30813a76.jpg

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#3 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 16,016

Posted Jan. 01 2017 - 11:07 PM

All exaust systems that are legal will be "cat back" Borla makes a very fine system that are not loud at all. Yes you can hear it some under throttle but no exaust drone inside the cab. Their clam to fame is the high end Stainless steel they use and the quality of their kits.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Normally I don't talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I ask for large fries with my order.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#4 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Member ID: 16,016

Posted Jan. 01 2017 - 11:10 PM

I need to retract that statement about all being legal are cat back. Some offer high performance systems that do offer cats with them. Big bucks though.

#5 ONLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Contributor

Posted Jan. 01 2017 - 11:43 PM

I need to retract that statement about all being legal are cat back. Some offer high performance systems that do offer cats with them. Big bucks though.

Yea on sale 1K right now

#6 OFFLINE   CRE10

CRE10

Peasant

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 14,379

Posted Jan. 02 2017 - 08:17 AM

Wonder if a cold air intake would keep your warranty. That would open it up too.

Signature:
CRE10
CRETIN

"Don't be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be.
But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price."
Lane Frost

"You mess with the bull, you get the horns."

Armory Minion  :vader:

#7 OFFLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 16,628

Posted Jan. 02 2017 - 08:27 AM

Cold air and exhaust will not void any warrantees. Cold air system will make the engine louder under acceleration. Depending on the cat back you install will determine how loud the exhaust will be. Now, that being said, I'd only expect about 15-20 hp with the cat back and cold air installed. The factory air box and exhaust flow pretty well for your current engine. There has to be a restriction in order to make any power gains with these mods.

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#8 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jan. 02 2017 - 10:57 AM

Cold air and exhaust will not void any warrantees. Cold air system will make the engine louder under acceleration. Depending on the cat back you install will determine how loud the exhaust will be. Now, that being said, I'd only expect about 15-20 hp with the cat back and cold air installed. The factory air box and exhaust flow pretty well for your current engine. There has to be a restriction in order to make any power gains with these mods.

I think that is the key; finding out how much you would gain on that particular truck and that particular engine. 

If they already have things flowing pretty freely you might be spending a lot of money for very few ponies. 

YMMV.  (literally) 

• Steelborn1 likes this

Signature:

A Vote for Trump is a vote for a liberal !

NRA Life Member

The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.

Repeal the 17th Amendment.

Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#9 OFFLINE   SRT8Driver

SRT8Driver

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 31,204

Posted Jan. 02 2017 - 12:47 PM

Are you looking for more sound? More sound and power?

You have plenty of options:

1. A freer flowing muffler swap. Just remove your stock unit, put the aftermarket unit on and go from there. 

2. A freer flowing muffler with a single in/dual out configuration. This will give you the sound, remove the restriction of the stock muffler and give you a bit more flow. The dual out also gives you that dual exhaust look at the backend.

3. A full catback system. You can get them in a single in/single out, single in/dual out configuration.

Be careful about removing the resonators or getting a catback without resonators. A lot of drone can result.

Also, try to locate any replacement muffler under the bed, not under the cab.

As far as picking which one, that is the toughest thing to decide upon. But it is yours to decide as what sounds good to me may not sound good to you.

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L HEMI, a Magnaflow 12909 muffler, a resonator delete, a programmer with a custom tune that turns off the Dodge MDS (Multiple Displacement System) which really reduces the drone.

Here's a short video from inside the cab, with mild acceleration and WOT takes:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ylsnVy5UP7Q

Signature:

Only our individual faith in freedom can keep us free. ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

#10 ONLINE   calebj06

calebj06

• Member ID: 27,288

Posted Jan. 02 2017 - 06:40 PM

I had an 2001 f150 that was all tricked out. Super charger, MSD ignition the whole bit. It has a full Borla exhaust on it and it was really nice. Louder than stock? Yes. Loud? NO. I actually wanted something louder. And inside the truck it was not loud at all. Could barely tell it was there.

I've had other dual exhaust systems that were flow master or flow master knockoffs. They were nice, but defiantly louder than the Borla. They were what I like, but then someone like my dad loved the Borla.

Just my $.02.

#11 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Jan. 02 2017 - 06:49 PM

I had a Borla system on the wife's pickup that she got rid of this summer. Loud enough to remember it was a pickup, but not loud enough to be obnoxious. I'm going to start shopping for a new performance muffler for the newer pickup. It needs to be just a bit louder, remind me it's only getting 10mpg. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#12 ONLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Contributor

Posted Jan. 02 2017 - 08:31 PM

Yea I would like top performance and quiet, I like a quiet vehicle, hence I was also looking at going with larger pipes for better flow as well.

However like you said SRT I have to be careful to eliminate drone since I do have the AFM on this new truck.

Also talking to local mechanic today and he told me first thing to do to the GMC is get a cold air intake, he put one on his trailblazer and instantly gained faster response and 90 miles more on a tank of gas than the stock OEM box.

Now question to you guys that have done this, with changing the filter more often since it is open it will get dirty faster, does the better mpg pay for the cold air intake system or does the enhanced performance make up for the initial cost?

#13 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted Jan. 02 2017 - 08:36 PM

Yea I would like top performance and quiet, I like a quiet vehicle, hence I was also looking at going with larger pipes for better flow as well.

However like you said SRT I have to be careful to eliminate drone since I do have the AFM on this new truck.

Also talking to local mechanic today and he told me first thing to do to the GMC is get a cold air intake, he put one on his trailblazer and instantly gained faster response and 90 miles more on a tank of gas than the stock OEM box.

Now question to you guys that have done this, with changing the filter more often since it is open it will get dirty faster, does the better mpg pay for the cold air intake system or does the enhanced performance make up for the initial cost?

Yes. I use a K&N, and clean it every time I change the oil. Clean it, let it dry, and then spritz it down with the filter oil. 

#14 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Jan. 03 2017 - 07:10 AM

Modern engines really aren't any different than old race engines.  They're a big air pump and how much they pump limited by their narrowest restriction.  For example, building old muscle cars, you can bolt on intakes and exhausts to your hearts content but once you max out the heads, stick a a fork in it.l  Modern computerized engines, its the program. 

This I can tell you, you can bolt on cat backs, no problem, you touch that program and they can tell it, there goes your warranty.  There's quite the game going on between programmers and manufacturers, things like reads the code, copies it, changes it, then you can take it back before you go to the dealer.  I don't really know who's on first or second base on that anymore.  You 'd have to research it and go to the truck forums, which isn't a bad idea period when talking vehicles. 

What I can tell you is most performance Cat Backs complete systems are designed to max out that program.  Sound is where the decision is.  Personally I"m a Flowmaster fan.  It sounds like American muscle.  I leave Borla for the kids and their sewing machine engines.

Tj

#15 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Jan. 03 2017 - 01:23 PM

snip.....

Personally I"m a Flowmaster fan.  It sounds like American muscle.  

Tj

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Old pickup ran a 3" two chamber single out and it sounded nice. My Blazer has a 3" three chamber with dual outs on a short rig.......it has a nice sound to it and if the squirrels are fed slowly it will sound like a symphony to your ears. 

As I get older though I do like a quiet exhaust. My diesel rig will pull like an ox and is quiet as a mouse. 

Signature:
Posted Image

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#16 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

• Member ID: 17,345

Posted Jan. 09 2017 - 02:09 PM

Did you decide on anything?

Try a GMC forum or go to the dealer and ask several mechanics, not just one.

But get specific information on your specific truck and engine. If you can sift through the posts from other truck owners on a GMC forum, you'll find what your options are. Then take that info to your dealer or mechanic and see if they match the info you got from the forum.

Signature:

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for."

Chili with meat AND beans!

#17 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

• Member ID: 17,345

Posted Jan. 09 2017 - 02:11 PM

Oops. Doubled up.

Edited by Casper, Jan. 09 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#18 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 12:24 AM

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Old pickup ran a 3" two chamber single out and it sounded nice. My Blazer has a 3" three chamber with dual outs on a short rig.......it has a nice sound to it and if the squirrels are fed slowly it will sound like a symphony to your ears. 

As I get older though I do like a quiet exhaust. My diesel rig will pull like an ox and is quiet as a mouse. 

Your Blazer sounds amazing. I could listen to it burble along for hours. I might not even have a radio in it, as nice as it sounds. The only other exhaust system I ever had that sounded as good (to me) was the dual exhaust I had on my 83 Chev pickup. 350, with true duals, no cats, 36" long glass pack mufflers right under the cab, and dumping out behind the rear wheels. It would get loud on hard acceleration. But just running down the highway? Oh man, nothing ever sounded better. The factory radio took a dump, and I pulled it out, intending to replace it. I never did, in the 5-6 years I had that pickup. I just never needed anything to listen to other than those pipes. 

#19 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 01:53 AM

Your Blazer sounds amazing. I could listen to it burble along for hours. I might not even have a radio in it, as nice as it sounds. The only other exhaust system I ever had that sounded as good (to me) was the dual exhaust I had on my 83 Chev pickup. 350, with true duals, no cats, 36" long glass pack mufflers right under the cab, and dumping out behind the rear wheels. It would get loud on hard acceleration. But just running down the highway? Oh man, nothing ever sounded better. The factory radio took a dump, and I pulled it out, intending to replace it. I never did, in the 5-6 years I had that pickup. I just never needed anything to listen to other than those pipes. 

Funny, I have owned it for four years now and the radio has been broken the whole time  :laugh:

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center