• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 20,633

Posted Jan. 09 2017 - 10:55 PM

http://www.businessw...s-Strengthening

Polaris is dropping the Victory line to concentrate on Indian and the Slingshot. Hmmm ...

Overall this doesn't look all that rosy for the Indian. Motorcycles weren't Polaris' original market. Keeping their freakish 3 wheeler and dropping Victory seems to indicate that as well.

Edited by MnP4me, Jan. 10 2017 - 11:54 AM.

Signature:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

#2 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 01:48 AM

My buddy has a Victory and was looking at buying a new one.....I will bet this changes his mind. 

Signature:
Posted Image

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#3 OFFLINE   gmor

gmor

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 17,986

Posted Jan. 12 2017 - 12:21 AM

This is not a big surprise. Thier styling was a bit odd in my opinion, and if folks wanted a real Harley that is what they bought as there was no significant price difference. If a rider didn't require an H-D there are numerous attracive japanese alternatives. As for the Indian line, history is littered with the failures to revive the nameplate of that company that went defunct in 1953. The facade of a legendary brand is little more than an illusion. In my opinion the next economic downturn will end the Polaris Indian revival as well. I think Polaris will find more success in the ATV market.

Edited by gmor, Jan. 12 2017 - 12:28 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Smokin' Iron

Smokin' Iron

• Member ID: 6,531

Posted Jan. 12 2017 - 12:41 AM

I have been lusting after a Polaris Slingshot for sometime now. The ole lady can sit next to you and it has enough size and visibility that might help prevent some pimple faced 16 year old from running over top of you both.  

Signature:
Walking the path less traveled.
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   gmor

gmor

Posted Jan. 12 2017 - 12:44 AM

I have been lusting after a Polaris Slingshot for sometime now. The ole lady can sit next to you and it has enough size and visibility that might help prevent some pimple faced 16 year old from running over top of you both.  

As we get older our Mazda Miata Turbo has intruded quite a bit on M/C rides for the reasons you stated.

#6 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Jan. 12 2017 - 06:47 AM

This was in the making the day they bought Indian. 

Indeed the styling has been a problem since the start.  The market is you buy American cruiser, you want it to look American which means retro. That said the brand has an amazing customer loyalty and satisfaction.  They're built very solid, reliable, and powerful.  The lack of a mid-size, entry level, limited their market exposure. 

I was talking to the dealer the other day about the new Victory version of the Scout.  Despite being the same bike as the Scout, same styling, a tad more powerful, and more cost competitive, they were selling ten scouts to the Victory.  They say they're going to put that much more energy into the Indian line, which should be a good thing. 

Knowing the market like I do, I expect there to be a glut of bikes at first, prices to decline, then down the road the collector aspect will raise values.  Don't know how long down the road that will be other than to say years.

Tj

#7 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Jan. 13 2017 - 01:23 AM

I talked to my buddy that has a Victory and wants a new one. He is still looking to buy another Victory....his line of thinking was it's hard to make a profit when the bikes don't break or wear out. He loves his Victory.

#8 OFFLINE   gmor

gmor

Posted Jan. 13 2017 - 09:16 AM

I talked to my buddy that has a Victory and wants a new one. He is still looking to buy another Victory....his line of thinking was it's hard to make a profit when the bikes don't break or wear out. He loves his Victory.

If it's mechanical it will break and eventually need parts that are no longer available. Resale value should also be considered.

#9 OFFLINE   AMX

AMX

• Member ID: 253

Posted Jan. 14 2017 - 05:31 AM

I was hoping to buy a Victory next year. This sucks.

#10 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

• Member ID: 17,345

Posted Jan. 19 2017 - 07:40 PM

I really liked the Victory I test rode. My last ride would have been a Victory if they had a middle sized ride that looked ok with bags.

Personally, I didn't like them competing with the high end Harleys in power and price. Most people would rather pay the premium for a Harley, rather than a Victory, even if it was a better ride.

Harley has the marketing. Especially when you see new riders completely decked out in Harley gear. How often did you see a Victory rider in a Victory jacket, boots, scarf, bandana, cuff links, tie, underwear, etc.

Signature:

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for."

Chili with meat AND beans!

#11 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Jan. 20 2017 - 06:34 AM

Living here at the Dragon, I see and talk to a lot of riders every season.  Victory had amazing customer loyalty. 

The Polaris bikes are like Jap bikes.  You put gas in them,  change the oil, tires, brakes, batteries, and just keep riding them.  Most people in a life time aren't going to put 200,000 miles on a bike and need to rebuild an engine.  By then, the cosmetic issues are a problem like paint, exhausts, chrome bubbling,  etc.  Had a friend this Christmas his sons rebuilt his 1979 KZ 750 for him.  They did a great job, beautiful, but they didn't have to do anything to the engine.  Its all about miles and time.  Once or twice a month riding, man that's a lot of time.  Most people, 12,000 miles a year is like wow a big riding year. 

Tj

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center