• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jan. 10 2017 - 07:45 AM

I am running Windows 10 on my aged Toshiba el-cheapo laptop, which, except for this problem and a weak battery

has been a very good machine for the money. 

A while back it got so I could hardly get the thing to reboot after a restart or shutting it off.

Had to use safe mode yesterday. I regularly use disk cleanup and disk defragmenter to keep things running smoothly. 

Have taken the time to run full virus scans a couple of times. 

In addition to the boot problem, some pictures are loading very slowly, and I have to click on things more than once

to get them to open. The majority of the time they open fine. 

When I F12 it during startup, I am told Windows did not load correctly, (well duh) so some files must be corrupted, or the hard drive going bad (I think) 

One of the options is to re-install Windows, but charges may apply. If they are going to gig me for the price of Windows, I might as well get a new machine. 

What are the risks of trying to re-install Windows 10. I know there are better OS platforms out there for the tech minded, I am just interested in re-installing Windows 10.

Will this cause me to lose any data on my computer. ?  The pics of the mules and the Swedish midgets were hard to come by.

ANY thoughts, instructions, warnings,etc.  on what might be wrong and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

John

Signature:

A Vote for Trump is a vote for a liberal !

NRA Life Member

The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.

Repeal the 17th Amendment.

Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#2 ONLINE   kevzskim4

kevzskim4

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 7,958

Posted Jan. 10 2017 - 07:51 AM

That's not good. seems as though the Russians got to you as well.

#3 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jan. 10 2017 - 08:09 AM

Come to think of it, I probably should have waited to post this

until this evening, when I can respond in a reasonable timeframe. 

I'll take all the help I can get.

#4 ONLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

• Member ID: 17,136

Posted Jan. 10 2017 - 08:18 AM

You should not need to pay for a copy of Windows 10 again, the license key that was used to upgrade to 10 now has it tied to the license.

It does sound like the hard disk is going bad, and if you are going to replace it, replace it with a solid state disk. If you can get it to boot, you might be able to use a clone tool and clone the drive to your new ssd, or have someone do it. But it might just be easier to do a fresh install. You should be able to just install windows 10, and follow the wizard for activating it again once it is done.

A solid state disk will breathe new life into that older system, and if you do go that route, I would suggest a Samsung 850 Pro (10 year warranty).

#5 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Jan. 10 2017 - 08:29 AM

In the included link, I would first use the "reset this pc" option that you'll find in your settings. During the quick process make sure you select "keep my files" as opposed to "remove everything". It's your option as to first copying any personal data to a flash drive, etc. I've never seen a 10 reinstall mess up or remove personal files if done properly. This is a very safe way to "refresh" your OS. It should be noted this will remove any apps you have downloaded or any that came with your computer less Windows. So if you have any extra stuff on your pc like iTunes, etc, make sure you have the passwords for that kind of stuff. You might need to run Settings > Update & security > Windows

Update after the reset. It won't hurt anything to do it regardless after you have completed the reset process. The update should install the latest drivers (software) needed to perform various functions such as printing, etc.  https://support.micr...ecovery-optionsThat's about it. Good luck and holler if you need anything.

#6 OFFLINE   calebj06

calebj06

• Member ID: 27,288

Posted Jan. 10 2017 - 10:47 AM

I would back up anything you want before trying anything.
  • CDR RIA likes this

#7 OFFLINE   CityfiedHillbilly

CityfiedHillbilly

• Member ID: 31,361

Posted Jan. 10 2017 - 09:14 PM

I would back up anything you want before trying anything.

This!

Signature:

=======================================================

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the

United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

And he makes good beer too! :beerme:

#8 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 12:13 AM

You should not need to pay for a copy of Windows 10 again, the license key that was used to upgrade to 10 now has it tied to the license.

It does sound like the hard disk is going bad, and if you are going to replace it, replace it with a solid state disk. If you can get it to boot, you might be able to use a clone tool and clone the drive to your new ssd, or have someone do it. But it might just be easier to do a fresh install. You should be able to just install windows 10, and follow the wizard for activating it again once it is done.

A solid state disk will breathe new life into that older system, and if you do go that route, I would suggest a Samsung 850 Pro (10 year warranty).

This. Your HDD is dying. No amount of fiddling with the Windows settings, cleanups, or re-installs are going to fix the problem. HDD's die, it's just a fact of life. Replace it with a solid state drive, and move on. Or, buy a new el cheapo laptop that already has a SSD, and don't worry for quite some time. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#9 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 07:33 AM

Thanks. 

We do have a backup storage device that has the room to transfer the entire hard drive from the laptop.

So I would back up the entire hard drive on the back up, get a new hard drive and then how do a cherry pick what goes back on the hard drive?

With the low cost of these machines, I am more inclined to get a new laptop, but do not know how to transfer the files and settings from the old machine

to the new machine without importing any software corruptions back onto the new machine. 

I appreciate your help. As you can tell, I am ignorant of how these things work.

Would I need to partition the harddrive on the backup before I copy the old computer's hard drive on to it? 

Again, how do I choose and get the parts of the old hard drive from the back-up onto the new machine ?

John

#10 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 07:35 AM

In the included link, I would first use the "reset this pc" option that you'll find in your settings. During the quick process make sure you select "keep my files" as opposed to "remove everything". It's your option as to first copying any personal data to a flash drive, etc. I've never seen a 10 reinstall mess up or remove personal files if done properly. This is a very safe way to "refresh" your OS. It should be noted this will remove any apps you have downloaded or any that came with your computer less Windows. So if you have any extra stuff on your pc like iTunes, etc, make sure you have the passwords for that kind of stuff. You might need to run Settings > Update & security > Windows

Update after the reset. It won't hurt anything to do it regardless after you have completed the reset process. The update should install the latest drivers (software) needed to perform various functions such as printing, etc.  https://support.micr...ecovery-optionsThat's about it. Good luck and holler if you need anything.

That sounds interesting. 

I think I have seen that when I have either hit F3 or F12 the second the Toshiba bios screen comes up for a second.

#11 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 07:40 AM

Sounds like a new machine is in order, and I will make sure it has a solid state drive. 

Is there any way to figure out if it is a section of the hard drive that is failing, and then 

partition off the bad part ?  Or is it the reading and writing part that is failing ? How do I tell 

if I have a bad sector on the hard drive? 

After I get the new machine, I would still like to try to keep this one running for as long as possible.

I could let the grandkids use it, without having to worry about the younger ones ruining anything...

#12 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 07:41 AM

Thanks to everyone who is helping the dinosaur with the very short arms !      :segrin:

#13 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 417

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 07:41 AM

I did it the easy way- my IT person did it all for me.  Dropped off my computer, and she saved everything and moved it to a new computer. Of course, I had to use my phone for a day to look at the Armory.

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#14 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Member ID: 417

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 07:43 AM

Sounds like a new machine is in order, and I will make sure it has a solid state drive. 

Is there any way to figure out if it is a section of the hard drive that is failing, and then 

partition off the bad part ?  Or is it the reading and writing part that is failing ? How do I tell 

if I have a bad sector on the hard drive? 

After I get the new machine, I would still like to try to keep this one running for as long as possible.

I could let the grandkids use it, without having to worry about the younger ones ruining anything...

The whole hard drive is failing. Sectors and partitions are not your problem-those are not physical parts of the actual hard drive, just areas on a disc.

• bamashooter likes this

#15 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 07:49 AM

I did it the easy way- my IT person did it all for me.  Dropped off my computer, and she saved everything and moved it to a new computer. Of course, I had to use my phone for a day to look at the Armory.

My IT person at work refuses to help anyone with their personal computers, and I have offered to pay him with $ or his favorite beverage,

and swore myself to secrecy. 

Years ago, when I was even stupider, I paid a guy 75 dollars to tell me my old laptop was not worth fixing, and like a lot of lower cost laptops, he explained,

some parts are not removable, he would have to buy a whole new chassis. But of course he knew this when he said he would try and fix it.

He really jerked me around, and as a new business in a small town, that was a huge mistake. He was out of business a couple of months later,

and I'm sure my telling everyone I knew of my experience did not help....

That was an expensive 75 bucks he made off of me.

#16 ONLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 09:06 AM

My IT person at work refuses to help anyone with their personal computers, and I have offered to pay him with $ or his favorite beverage,
and swore myself to secrecy. 

Years ago, when I was even stupider, I paid a guy 75 dollars to tell me my old laptop was not worth fixing, and like a lot of lower cost laptops, he explained,
some parts are not removable, he would have to buy a whole new chassis. But of course he knew this when he said he would try and fix it.
He really jerked me around, and as a new business in a small town, that was a huge mistake. He was out of business a couple of months later,
and I'm sure my telling everyone I knew of my experience did not help....

That was an expensive 75 bucks he made off of me.

Speaking as an IT person, I also refuse to help any of my co workers when they ask, free or paid. The reason is not just because it is conflict of interest, but mostly because they once we fix something we seem to be forever on the hook for that computer going forward. However I do carry business cards for a good friend that I would trust working on my own stuff, so my refusals do come with referrals to someone that won't screw them.

I think that if a new computer is in the works for you, that might be the best fix. The new machine will be faster, have more battery life, and come with a warranty.

#17 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 12:21 PM

I help folks frequently with computers and electronic devices for free. My wife is an IT for our county and she does the same. Sometimes there can be frustration but most of the time it's rewarding to help others.

#18 ONLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 01:20 PM

I help folks frequently with computers and electronic devices for free. My wife is an IT for our county and she does the same. Sometimes there can be frustration but most of the time it's rewarding to help others.

I used to be that way, but I don't have time to work on my own machines half the time, so I even play dumb when family wants me to look at something.  I might be able find time to build be a new AMD Ryzen desktop when those CPU's drop though.  With the failure of the new intel chip, I am hoping AMD comes out swinging.

• bamashooter likes this

#19 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 01:49 PM

I'm going to get simple on you.  Have you run Malwarebytes?  Its a mainstay for my IT guy. 

• bamashooter likes this

#20 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Jan. 11 2017 - 03:25 PM

I used to be that way, but I don't have time to work on my own machines half the time, so I even play dumb when family wants me to look at something.  I might be able find time to build be a new AMD Ryzen desktop when those CPU's drop though.  With the failure of the new intel chip, I am hoping AMD comes out swinging.

The problem becomes, you're now their personal IT person, and anything that goes wrong with their system after you touch it, becomes your fault. "Well, it didn't do THAT when I brought it to you". And then you're expected to fix it. For free. On your time. And hurry up about it. 

I am no IT guru, but I know my way around enough to keep my own stuff running, and do simple maintenance, both hardware and software. My mother in law, bless her heart, has been using a computer for years, and is still an idiot when it comes to that stuff. I fixed her laptop the first dozen times she brought it to me, infected with a dozen viruses, loaded down with malware, and barely stumbling along. She demanded to be left as an administrator, and I finally told her that if she did, and she installed one piece of software, toolbar, or made any setting changes, I wouldn't touch it again. She brought it to me about two months after that, loaded down with viruses, malware, and two toolbars. She'd turned off WIndows Defender, and the antivirus I installed hadn't scanned her computer since I'd last had it, because it "slowed it down too much". She'd been in screwing with settings, because her sister had told her it was a good idea. I told her that's fine, have her sister fix it, because I wasn't touching it. And I didn't. She wound up paying some computer shop $100 to clean it up, and I think it would have been cheap at twice the price. She needs a penalty every time she does something stupid, so that she learns not to do things she doesn't understand. 

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center