Legal ar build.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   loscarh89

loscarh89

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 31,742

Posted Jan. 24 2017 - 11:25 PM

I live in California. Just stating that so no one ask why I would even want to do such a thing..

I just finished building an ar 15. Looking at all the laws and regulations to comply with. From my knowledge I have two options to make my ar legal without having to register it. First would be featureless. The second will be somehow having a fixed magazine(armaglock or something like that)
My question is. Is that correct?
And if it is I am definitely not going featureless. So....
Is a bullet button ok
Or
Will I have to get something like the ARmaglock Or something along that line.

Sent from my HTCONE

#2 OFFLINE   jchtrh

jchtrh

"Tribesman"

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 5,622

Contributor

Posted Jan. 24 2017 - 11:55 PM

Not sure your laws are, but hopefully you have not built the AR until you understand what they are.

I have moved your topic to the California section as someone from California can help you keep within the laws of your state.
  • loscarh89 likes this

Signature:
“If you are going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy"
Martin Luther King Jr.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
George Carlin

My State is BIGGER than yours!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

#3 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Member ID: 22,192

Posted Jan. 25 2017 - 01:28 AM

Welcome to the site.

First things first.....this is the internet and you will want to do some research of your own to find out the laws for your build. I know first hand how much misinformation is out there. I do not know all the in's and out's of the new laws. I do know enough to stay out of trouble.

Not knowing how far along or when you built your gun let me say this.....If you finished this build after 12/31/16 the bullet button is not an option. Your two options are featureless with a standard mag release or featured with one of the magazine locks approved by the new rules.

If your gun was built at any time with features and a standard magazine release it's not legal.

If your featured gun was built before 12/31/16 you can use a bullet button and then you must register the gun as an assault weapon per the new rules.

Do some home work away from the forums and on the actual laws. If you shop around for answers you will land on the wrong one.

• loscarh89 likes this

Signature:
Posted Image

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#4 OFFLINE   R3DNECK91

R3DNECK91

• Member ID: 31,614

Posted Jan. 25 2017 - 08:55 AM

https://youtu.be/NIu7enBGiRk
I dont know how current this is to CA laws and im not a resident of CA. I figured this might help. I would go to your local FOC and see about getting a copy of current gun laws or go to state website and look up the laws that way.

#5 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 25 2017 - 11:51 AM

https://youtu.be/NIu7enBGiRk
I dont know how current this is to CA laws and im not a resident of CA. I figured this might help. I would go to your local FOC and see about getting a copy of current gun laws or go to state website and look up the laws that way.

There is no bad info in that video.

#6 OFFLINE   R3DNECK91

R3DNECK91

• Member ID: 31,614

Posted Jan. 25 2017 - 12:14 PM

There is no bad info in that video.

I didnt mean it was bad. Just stating im not a resident of CA so i dont keep up with their laws and laws do change.

#7 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 25 2017 - 12:40 PM

I didnt mean it was bad. Just stating im not a resident of CA so i dont keep up with their laws and laws do change.

I know you didn't...I was just confirming that the info was not bad   :tiphat:

#8 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 30,977

Posted Jan. 28 2017 - 05:14 PM

Libtards have so screwed up your State.  They will not be happy until no one has any firearm and the only way you will be able to defend yourself with be to throw a rock or pick up a stick.  I am glad I live on the other side of the country.

That being said, take the advice given.  Either go and look up the new statutes and study them or contact your Attorney General's office.  With my limited knowledge I would say since you have finished or are about to finish your rifle you are going to have to be in compliance.  Maybe IF you bought the lower before 1/1/17 you might be able to skirt around the deadline and be good with a bullet button and say it was a functional firearm before that date.

Hope you get it all figured out.

#9 OFFLINE   chaoticmind

chaoticmind

• Member ID: 23,150

Posted Feb. 15 2017 - 01:42 AM

If you finished this build after 12/31/16 the bullet button is not an option.

Maybe IF you bought the lower before 1/1/17 you might be able to skirt around the deadline and be good with a bullet button and say it was a functional firearm before that date.

Not quite. When you took possession is what matters. As long as the complete rifle or lower receiver was picked up from the gun dealer by 12/31/16, it can be registered by 12/31/17 and may have "evil features."

Signature:
The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

#10 OFFLINE   chaoticmind

chaoticmind

• Member ID: 23,150

Posted Feb. 15 2017 - 01:43 AM

Libtards have so screwed up your State.  They will not be happy until no one has any firearm and the only way you will be able to defend yourself with be to throw a rock or pick up a stick.  I am glad I live on the other side of the country.

No one asked.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center