Night Vision Illuminator with New Osram SFH 4715AS High Power LED

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SIXOEIGHT

SIXOEIGHT

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 26,705

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 01:40 PM

Hey everyone I just wanted to share an IR illuminator that I am producing. Most of the illuminators on the market are a joke and use poor leds driven at low current resulting a dim output. These are the most powerful and efficient leds on the market overdrive for maximum light output!

If anyone has any questions just let me know. I am hoping this listing goes well so that I may put this into larger production!

Edited by Nwatson99, Feb. 17 2017 - 10:33 PM.
Take put ebay add

Signature:
I'm a big believer in the idea that you can do monumental things if you are willing to work hard and do things right the first time...because no one else will.

#2 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 31,177

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 02:39 PM

OK, I"ll admit to being an idiot but thought there were two methods of night illumination.  One which shone a weak light on the target and which was picked up by the optic and magnified.  The other was a straight infra-red optic which recognized this heat.

What is an IR device using a flashlight?

#3 OFFLINE   SIXOEIGHT

SIXOEIGHT

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 03:55 PM

The flashlight has a high power IR led for active night vision. It is not visible to human or most animal eyes (you can see a dim red dot if you look at the LED but you can't see it shine on anything).

There are a lot of active night vision scopes which use IR illuminators to light up the field of view at a spectrum we can't see but the night visiom can.

Edited by SIXOEIGHT, Feb. 17 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 06:26 PM

So help me here, the IR LED lights up the target and the device then sees it better?  Don't living things already produce IR?  If so wouldn't additional IR light just confuse things?  I know of night vision devices which send light but the light, not IR, is then picked up by the device and amplified---or do I have this all wrong?

#5 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Member ID: 3,430

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 06:40 PM

IR IS a rage of light wavelength, not heat. Thermal IR is a very different animal.

I have a rather wimpy IR illuminator on my X-Sight, and I've been looking at more capable models. I'll be keeping an eye on the one you built. :thumb:

Signature:

We have plenty of youth....what we need now is a fountain of smart!

democarp_zpsehlkwhqi.jpg

ar15a_gunsAMERICANFLAG_zpsbja11bnz.jpg

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vince Bonner ~ Restless Gun

#6 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 6,696

Contributor

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 07:34 PM

OK, I"ll admit to being an idiot but thought there were two methods of night illumination.  One which shone a weak light on the target and which was picked up by the optic and magnified.  The other was a straight infra-red optic which recognized this heat.

What is an IR device using a flashlight?

Actually there are several ways to enhance night vision. Thermal is one, IR or infrared red is another. There is also UV, starlight magnification just to name a couple. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#7 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 07:58 PM

The difference is whether it is active or passive IR.

Thermal is passive (PIR), made up of a sensor array. The LED assisted IR is active, and utilizes IR wavelength light amplification.

#8 OFFLINE   SIXOEIGHT

SIXOEIGHT

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 08:27 PM

The beauty of active IR is that you bring the light you need with you and anywhere. It's also a lot cheaper haha. I built a super powerful IR night vision camera and it will light up objects hundreds of feet away like it is noon but if you don't look through the active IR screen you can't see a thing. It has issues in terms of combat but for hunting and/or non combat uses I think it's the best way to go.

#9 OFFLINE   SIXOEIGHT

SIXOEIGHT

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 08:31 PM

How do I post images? I tried using img tags but I am failing somehow.

Edited by SIXOEIGHT, Feb. 17 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Contributor

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 08:49 PM

So what makes this better than the IR filter I can put on my Surefire and still be able to see 2-300 yards?

#11 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 09:16 PM

SIXOEIGHT, on 17 Feb 2017 - 8:31 PM, said:

How do I post images? I tried using img tags but I am failing somehow.

You have to use an image hosting site like Photobucket or IMGUR, then insert the direct code from one of them into the image function.

Or you can use the image address from your Ebay ad, like this.

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Longhair, Feb. 17 2017 - 09:18 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   SturmGewehr

SturmGewehr

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the explanation.  So what does your system cost?

#13 OFFLINE   Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Hold My Beer and Watch This!

• Group:Administrator
  • Member ID: 1

Contributor

Posted Feb. 17 2017 - 10:33 PM

Question where are your components made at?

How to post photos.

Signature:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed
Second Amendment to the US Constitution December 15th 1791

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.
Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

#14 OFFLINE   SIXOEIGHT

SIXOEIGHT

Posted Feb. 18 2017 - 12:07 AM

So what makes this better than the IR filter I can put on my Surefire and still be able to see 2-300 yards?

For that to work your surefire would have to be halogen or xenon or something full spectrum incandescent. In that case led is WAY more efficienct than incandescent with 90% of the spectrum being blocked. So for a give amount of light output you will get many times more battery life and a lot less heat out of an LED that only puts out IR light. It's also just gping to put out way way way more IR light. If they surefire with the filter is even close I'll give you one for free :)

You have to use an image hosting site like Photobucket or IMGUR, then insert the direct code from one of them into the image function.

Or you can use the image address from your Ebay ad, like this.
s-l300.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks for the explanation.  So what does your system cost?

I am exploring price. I certainly won't make the kind of profit surefire and others make but I am a graduate student just trying to afford more range time haha. I will gauge interest and hopefully come to a price that makes it worth while but still affordable for everyone.

Question where are your components made at?

How to post photos.

This is a small venture at the moment so these compenents may change depending on viability. Right now the host and driver are Convoy. Convoy is not US made but they have a good reputation for budget gear and are leagues and leagues above "xxxxxfire" random brand stuff.

The LED is made by Osram which, if you know the industry, is one of the largest names in lighting. It's the best LED avalible for 850nm illuminators. It's also over driven too 2 amps and well heatsinked for reliability at maximum output.

Edited by SIXOEIGHT, Feb. 18 2017 - 12:11 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Contributor

Posted Feb. 18 2017 - 12:57 AM

For that to work your surefire would have to be halogen or xenon or something full spectrum incandescent. In that case led is WAY more efficienct than incandescent with 90% of the spectrum being blocked. So for a give amount of light output you will get many times more battery life and a lot less heat out of an LED that only puts out IR light. It's also just gping to put out way way way more IR light. If they surefire with the filter is even close I'll give you one for free :)

I understand the difference between LED and incandescent bulbs and the advantages and disadvantages of each.  And please understand I am not trying to be offensive.  I look at much of this stuff from a military back ground with several hundred hours under NVGs.  We are issued a variety of differnt style lights and IR filters.  Items that allow us to go from white, NVG compatible, or IR sources.  Many of these items are commonly available on the civilian market or in a civilian strength.  What I am trying to understand is what justifies another piece of gear that takes up space and weight or runs the risk of getting lost before it is needed.  Now maybe I misunderstand and this is meant for the civilian market for pest control or other reasons but it was not made clear in the original post.

#16 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Feb. 18 2017 - 01:04 AM

I have some older NV gear that could benefit from one of these. I would like to know a projected cost?   Would it be feasible to put a tripod mount on the unit with a remote switch? How big an area would the light illuminate?

Signature:

NRA 4 Life
M1Garand.jpg

3b3e8bab-4ecf-46a2-a495-0d6d30813a76.jpg

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#17 OFFLINE   SIXOEIGHT

SIXOEIGHT

Posted Feb. 18 2017 - 02:16 AM

I understand the difference between LED and incandescent bulbs and the advantages and disadvantages of each.  And please understand I am not trying to be offensive.  I look at much of this stuff from a military back ground with several hundred hours under NVGs.  We are issued a variety of differnt style lights and IR filters.  Items that allow us to go from white, NVG compatible, or IR sources.  Many of these items are commonly available on the civilian market or in a civilian strength.  What I am trying to understand is what justifies another piece of gear that takes up space and weight or runs the risk of getting lost before it is needed.  Now maybe I misunderstand and this is meant for the civilian market for pest control or other reasons but it was not made clear in the original post.

I see. From a military perspective you are dead on. I would also rather have a multipurpose unit like an incandescent with a filter if I had to put everything in a pack and lug it around. This is more aimed at the guys who like the gadgets that serves a purpose and do so with no compromise. It's a great option for guys who want to supliment the NV gear they have and/or want to take their NV scope out to a greater distance. It's not for everyone but one heck of an option for those guys.

I have some older NV gear that could benefit from one of these. I would like to know a projected cost?   Would it be feasible to put a tripod mount on the unit with a remote switch? How big an area would the light illuminate?

I could make one to almost any spec. My personal night vision project uses 3 of these LEDs being fed 9 amps of current and using a triple TIR lens to focus the beam. It's a bit of a handful but it will light up a whole hillside.

I could absolutely work with those criteria it's just a matter of what you want it to do, for how long, from how far, and what you can spend.

Shoot me a pm and id be happy to talk about options

Edited by SIXOEIGHT, Feb. 18 2017 - 02:21 AM.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center