Photo

Wiring and wrenching woes

109 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Mar. 03 2017 - 02:46 PM

I purchased a Jeep a couple weeks ago and have been working out the bugs. I have found most of them and am working through them. I ordered some parts for the overdrive that had fallen off and I ordered a new turn signal unit as the rear turn signals were inop when I bought it. The overdrive shift detent is a ball bearing, spring and special bolt that screws into the case. The case has been stripped out along the way and the parts were gone, only a couple treads engaged when I put in the new parts. I used RTV to help hold the bolt and I am going to use a stainless tie wire around the bolt to further help hold it in place. If it fails I will have to take the overdrive off and re thread that hole and build a bolt or heli coil that hole and use a stock bolt if I can mate it up with a heli coil. 

The wiring was hacked into by the guy I bought it from recently. Lots of fresh tape here and there. When the turn signal unit failed he cut the wires in the frame and directly wired the brake light switch to the brake lights bypassing the turn signal controller. I am going to carefully piece it back together in the frame and completely redo the back end of the Jeep as he buggered it up pretty bad in the rear. Worst case I may have to re-wire the entire rear of the Jeep from the firewall back. I am hoping not to have to take it that far. Once I get all the stock wires figured out I can put in the new turn signal controller. 

I have to shelve it for a week as I am leaving town. When I get time again I will have to finish it up. Right now the Jeep is out of commission until I finish up the wiring and work on the OD some more............I don't want to do this crap anymore but I have to as I ain't paying anyone to fix what I can fix for free.

Signature:
Posted Image

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#2 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 16,016

Posted Mar. 03 2017 - 03:14 PM

I really do wish people would stop playing automotive electrician when they can't even figure out which end of the wire the electrical stuff comes out of.

Sorry to hear that. I am amazed at what some will do wrong to keep from doing it right.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Normally I don't talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I ask for large fries with my order.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#3 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Mar. 03 2017 - 03:24 PM

I really do wish people would stop playing automotive electrician when they can't even figure out which end of the wire the electrical stuff comes out of.

Sorry to hear that. I am amazed at what some will do wrong to keep from doing it right.

Yeah I'm not happy about what he did under there. I need to get under there and put things back together first and make sure there are no more hack jobs in line. Once that main line is back together I will put in the new controller and then re-do the back end with all new stuff and add my trailer plug. Nothing is easy when they cut stuff where you can't reach to repair it either. 

If I have to I will just run all new wires from the controller to the rear lights and switch. I don't want to do that unless that is my only option. Right now if I get the main line back together I can use all the factory plug connections under the dash for the controller....otherwise I have to make up all new connections. The rear will get re-done no matter what as it's just a mess of patches.

#4 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Mar. 03 2017 - 04:11 PM

You found the exact same thing I found in mine. I had to cut and slash on my tail light wiring. I removed everything from the turn signal and brake light switches, and put in brand new wiring. I still have to rework the turn signal switch, I want to make the original work again. Truthfully, it was easier to bust out the split loom and make my own new wiring harness. It had been boogered for trailer lights over the years too. I haven't worked up a new trailer wiring yet, that will be after I get the turn signal switch repaired. It was seized, I got it moving and self-canceling. Now I just need to clean up the contacts inside the switch. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#5 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted Mar. 03 2017 - 06:53 PM

That sucks.

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#6 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted Mar. 04 2017 - 01:40 AM

That sucks.

That's actually part of the fun. When you do something the right way, you've touched it with your own hands, and you KNOW it's right. You know it's not going to get snagged, you know there's no rubbed spots missing insulation, you KNOW it's right. There's no better feeling than knowing your ride front to back, top to bottom, and KNOWING that it's put together right. I developed an additional whistle at higher speeds. I think it's in my light bar, which I'm going to have to move soon, which will probably make it go away. 

• JohnGaltOU812 and ren like this

#7 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Mar. 04 2017 - 01:51 AM

You found the exact same thing I found in mine. I had to cut and slash on my tail light wiring. I removed everything from the turn signal and brake light switches, and put in brand new wiring. I still have to rework the turn signal switch, I want to make the original work again. Truthfully, it was easier to bust out the split loom and make my own new wiring harness. It had been boogered for trailer lights over the years too. I haven't worked up a new trailer wiring yet, that will be after I get the turn signal switch repaired. It was seized, I got it moving and self-canceling. Now I just need to clean up the contacts inside the switch. 

My switch is not worth fixing the way it's buggered up. The wiring is worth fixing except for the very rear...that needs all new and will get it. I don't want to overhaul this thing...I want it working right and usable...that's it. The wiring is pretty good except for the area he cut up and the rear section.  I just hope I have enough room to work where he started chopping.

#8 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Mar. 04 2017 - 02:03 AM

That's actually part of the fun. When you do something the right way, you've touched it with your own hands, and you KNOW it's right. You know it's not going to get snagged, you know there's no rubbed spots missing insulation, you KNOW it's right. There's no better feeling than knowing your ride front to back, top to bottom, and KNOWING that it's put together right. I developed an additional whistle at higher speeds. I think it's in my light bar, which I'm going to have to move soon, which will probably make it go away. 

You're idea of fun and my idea of fun are gravely different.
  • Retcop likes this

#9 OFFLINE   calebj06

calebj06

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 27,288

Posted Mar. 04 2017 - 07:48 AM

THIS!!

I like to spend the extra $$ to not have to deal with that stuff. And I'm by no means a wealthy man. I'll just save a bit longer.

But then again, what am I saying? I build guns 1 pin and 1 tiny spring at a time. Not because of the money but because of the fun and satisfaction of it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

#10 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Mar. 11 2017 - 02:36 AM

I got a chance to finish it up today. I spliced all the wires back into the main line. I did find three factory connections that were no longer making contact through the connectors. I fixed all those and got the new turn signal harness in place. I cleaned up the rear wiring a little and added my trailer plug. 

Some day I will completely rewire the whole Jeep and get rid of all the chopped up wiring.......maybe  :laugh:   

I came up with a pretty good "fix" for the stripped out detent bolt and installed a band around the overdrive over that bolt to help hold it in place. I will test drive it Saturday and see how everything works out.

I have to swap out trailer balls and then it's ready to go hunting or working on the property. 

#11 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted Mar. 11 2017 - 04:30 AM

You wouldn't make a good Jeep owner. 

#12 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 16,016

Posted Mar. 11 2017 - 09:11 AM

At least not an older model. Maybe a Patriot would best suit him, lol.

( sorry newbe, that was pretty low)

#13 OFFLINE   BushXM15

BushXM15

• Member ID: 6,707

Posted Mar. 11 2017 - 11:15 AM

Tow Truck

Edited by BushXM15, Mar. 11 2017 - 11:23 AM.

Signature:
Posted Image

Shoot Straight Know Your Target .

#14 OFFLINE   BushXM15

BushXM15

• Member ID: 6,707

Posted Mar. 11 2017 - 11:22 AM

Tow Truck : Sometimes depending on the year and the extent of the wiring damage ,it makes sense to rip it all out and put in New wires !.

Now I don't advocate doing unnecessary work but sometimes it's EASIER than running down someone Else's butcher attempts .

My 69 CJ5  and 71 Baja Bug are prime examples . A major cluster screw of old new splice and dice obscenity ,along with flat out worn stock wiring .

An if something does go wrong  in My case the Idiot responsible recalls the method used and can effect repair if need be . Happy to report so far so GREAT , everything works ..

I pulled the dashes out  along with instrument clusters ,changed what I didn't like and made new wiring looms ,with modular plugs and found it was way EASIER than trying to find shorts or mistakes . Yet whatever works best  YOU will know : Good Luck ...

FYI : I had lots of practice repairing planes and boats , somebody was always screwing with things they shouldn't have . I'd say 80% of wiring problems is lack of solid grounds connections . Trailer wiring  I run separate grounds too both sides of the trailer and too the frame , Never had a problem  ,only when someone else hacks the  connector plug for their vehicle . So towards the end I made # 4 way plugs  which work on nearly any vehicle . Stopped the hacking  and Bingo all was well ...

#15 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Mar. 11 2017 - 01:00 PM

I make no apologies for that. :laugh:

At least not an older model. Maybe a Patriot would best suit him, lol.
( sorry newbe, that was pretty low)

Actually, I'm not a Jeep guy at all. I've never really caught that "bug".

Ford, Dodge, Honda, Acura (same thing), Toyota, Subaru.....

The latter means less work and more play :segrin:

#16 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Mar. 11 2017 - 08:14 PM

Tow Truck : Sometimes depending on the year and the extent of the wiring damage ,it makes sense to rip it all out and put in New wires !.

Now I don't advocate doing unnecessary work but sometimes it's EASIER than running down someone Else's butcher attempts .

My 69 CJ5  and 71 Baja Bug are prime examples . A major cluster screw of old new splice and dice obscenity ,along with flat out worn stock wiring .

An if something does go wrong  in My case the Idiot responsible recalls the method used and can effect repair if need be . Happy to report so far so GREAT , everything works ..

I pulled the dashes out  along with instrument clusters ,changed what I didn't like and made new wiring looms ,with modular plugs and found it was way EASIER than trying to find shorts or mistakes . Yet whatever works best  YOU will know : Good Luck ...

FYI : I had lots of practice repairing planes and boats , somebody was always screwing with things they shouldn't have . I'd say 80% of wiring problems is lack of solid grounds connections . Trailer wiring  I run separate grounds too both sides of the trailer and too the frame , Never had a problem  ,only when someone else hacks the  connector plug for their vehicle . So towards the end I made # 4 way plugs  which work on nearly any vehicle . Stopped the hacking  and Bingo all was well ...

I will most likely rewire the entire Jeep in the future. Like you I hate hack jobs. The wiring in this one is old and corroded a bit here and there. It does not help that a rat nibbled on just about everything too. I found a 3" section of wire to my voltage regulator missing today. There are a few wires going nowhere and a few things that need taken off that are no longer used. 

I got the oil leak stopped on the overdrive and got the detent put in but it still pops out of gear every once in a while so the bungee cord on the  od shifter will stay put.

Turn signals and 4-way flashers work well now and I even had to use the flashers today when the carb. gave out at a stop light today. A new carb kit made things right with  the world again but I don't want to mess with it this much. I'm going hunting tomorrow and Apple can sit this one out until I can get some time to adjust on it a bit more. 

#17 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Mar. 13 2017 - 06:21 PM

Well the shat never stops......after the carb rebuild it ran fine for a bit then started to idle lower than normal and falter just off idle. I could not adjust it out so I pulled the carb again and adjusted the float a tad....no go.....seven times I tried to get that float right and each time it either cut the fuel off or made it flow out the top. I took the entire carb apart again and checked everything once more.

There was no way to adjust the float to the specs on the rebuild kit as the float was not the same as pictured. I started researching the float and found out it is a marine float. It does not seem to "float" very well either so I ordered a new brass float that I can calibrate with the numbers from the kit. I should have the new float in a week so I can tackle the problem once more. I'm really close to covering the Jeep up until I have time to mess with it but I have been using it to haul stuff and go to town.   

#18 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Mar. 13 2017 - 06:45 PM

Exactly why I'll never be a Jeep guy.

I do applaud you for your efforts. You're going to know those things inside and out before you're done!

#19 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Mar. 13 2017 - 07:18 PM

Exactly why I'll never be a Jeep guy.

I do applaud you for your efforts. You're going to know those things inside and out before you're done!

I know most old cars inside and out........I don't know what made me jump back into the game again.....I mean I love driving the thing but this "work the bugs out" had better speed it up because I have pdogs to kill!

#20 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted Mar. 13 2017 - 08:53 PM

Mine came back from the shop today. I was wise to take it in and let someone else wrench on it, the sides and spiders in the front diff were roached. It was expensive, but they were able to get new parts, and get it set up right. Lesson learned, too much instant torque breaks things. Now I need to concentrate on sealing up the windshield frame so it isn't so damp in a downpour. 

Reply to this topic

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Information Center