• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 4,982

Contributor

Posted Mar. 20 2017 - 04:26 PM

Saw a couple of these (the S&W version)  in a local gun shop which look lightly used.  I like the size and weight of these.  I am really liking my Canik TP9V2, but I like the grip length on these just a bit better for potential carry purposes.

It is really is only about a half inch of difference, but it is the part of the pistol most likely to print.

They had them priced at $425, one in 9mm and one in .40. 

I looked on Gun Broker and I can pick one up for $75-100 less, but was curious about folks thoughts or experience with these.  I've been considering going to a compact DA/SA pistol for carry, and have been looking at the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Carry but the Walther/S&W/Canik just seems a bit slicker with less protruding levers and buttons.

Signature:
Keep shooting till it changes shape or catches fire.

#2 ONLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 21,618

Posted Mar. 20 2017 - 05:39 PM

Terrible trigger. Ruger P89 bad.

#3 OFFLINE   SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc

Contributor

Posted Mar. 20 2017 - 06:28 PM

Terrible trigger. Ruger P89 bad.

I wan't sure if that was a real issue or if it was a perception because of the unique DA/SA and "anti-stress" setting works on these. 

Now that I've had the Canik TP9V2 or a month, I'm growing to appreciate that ability to have a DA first pull.  But I also have polished some of the internals to remove grit from the pull.  There are a lot of friction points in this trigger system, but it is a pretty manageable DA pull and now fairly smooth.  The SA trigger seemed crisp and had a good reset on the Turkish built pistol.  So, I was figuring the German/American conglomeration should be similar or better or as easy to remedy.

#4 ONLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 21,618

Posted Mar. 20 2017 - 06:39 PM

I'll elaborate. It's been a while since I've shot one but it was really an abysmal trigger to the point in my mind where I wouldn't consider shooting one again. I'm sure build quality is good and it'd go bang when you need it to but AIM has M&P surpluses that are the same price and better triggers.

#5 OFFLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 417

Posted Mar. 20 2017 - 08:05 PM

Saw a couple of these (the S&W version)  in a local gun shop which look lightly used.  I like the size and weight of these.  I am really liking my Canik TP9V2, but I like the grip length on these just a bit better for potential carry purposes.

It is really is only about a half inch of difference, but it is the part of the pistol most likely to print.

They had them priced at $425, one in 9mm and one in .40. 

I looked on Gun Broker and I can pick one up for $75-100 less, but was curious about folks thoughts or experience with these.  I've been considering going to a compact DA/SA pistol for carry, and have been looking at the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Carry but the Walther/S&W/Canik just seems a bit slicker with less protruding levers and buttons.

Smith and Wesson never made a P99. Smith was the importer for Walther products, but never made any part of the P99.

I love it. It's my carry gun (for six years now), and the best pointing gun and most ergonomically friendly gun I've ever held. The trigger is great, in my opinion. Fast action, or double action or SA. The decocker is a sweet feature.

Very easy to switch the sights out to Meprolights.

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#6 OFFLINE   SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc

Contributor

Posted Mar. 21 2017 - 06:30 AM

Smith and Wesson never made a P99. Smith was the importer for Walther products, but never made any part of the P99.

I love it. It's my carry gun (for six years now), and the best pointing gun and most ergonomically friendly gun I've ever held. The trigger is great, in my opinion. Fast action, or double action or SA. The decocker is a sweet feature.

Very easy to switch the sights out to Meprolights.

I was aware they were made by Walther. I've just noted that the slides are machined differently on the S&W versions, so they look slightly different.

I will concede that the DA/SA trigger is not like a single action only striker fired pistol, but that is kind of what I was looking at as a carry feature. With my Canik I find the single action to definitely be better than my M&P trigger ever got with stock parts. I just replaced my M&P40 trigger with an Apex Duty/Carry trigger and really like it now.

One of the things that had me hesitating on one of the Waltjer/S&W pistols was night sight choices and magazine availability and cost. I'm guessing the Walther sights and mags would work on the S&W versions without issue.

#7 OFFLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 417

Posted Mar. 21 2017 - 06:34 AM

I was aware they were made by Walther. I've just noted that the slides are machined differently on the S&W versions, so they look slightly different.

I will concede that the DA/SA trigger is not like a single action only striker fired pistol, but that is kind of what I was looking at as a carry feature. With my Canik I find the single action to definitely be better than my M&P trigger ever got with stock parts. I just replaced my M&P40 trigger with an Apex Duty/Carry trigger and really like it now.

One of the things that had me hesitating on one of the Waltjer/S&W pistols was night sight choices and magazine availability and cost. I'm guessing the Walther sights and mags would work on the S&W versions without issue.

There is no S&W version. Walther alone made a P99. I think Smith made a slightly different gun called a SW99, but if it was me, I would get a P99.

#8 OFFLINE   Righttobeararms

Righttobeararms

• Member ID: 27,664

Posted Apr. 03 2017 - 10:36 PM

I have Walther P99 SA, bar none best handgun I ever bought and owned. I shoot it extremely well.  The trigger is excellent and very crisp, 500 rounds and counting not one issue.

http://ar15armory.co...-new-cc-heater/

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center