7 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 6,696

Contributor

Posted Apr. 30 2017 - 02:24 PM

I have a PACA level 3 vest left over from when I did armored car work. It is way out of warrantee and I came across it while cleaning stuff out of the garage. I need to go ahead and get rid of it but I dont want it to end up in the wrongs hands.

What would be the correct way to dispose of this to ensure it doesn't get used for nerferous means? Anybody in TN can own body armor so its not like other states where it is illegal for civilians to own it.

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 7,742

Posted Apr. 30 2017 - 04:44 PM

Shoot the crap out of it at the range, for science!!

Then get rid of it however you would any other old shredded tee shirt.

#3 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Contributor

Posted Apr. 30 2017 - 04:49 PM

I already have several level 4 plates and a vest that I have shot out. Kinda boring and a waste of good ammo.

#4 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Apr. 30 2017 - 04:53 PM

There used to be a charity that accepted out of date armor. They then clean it, and give it to a cop where the pay is absolute garbage, and they can't afford armor of any kind. Sometimes reserves, sometimes full time. I know a couple of guys who've sent armor to that place. 

Me personally, I just recycle my old vest into the next range vest. As I accumulate them, I'll make one a SHTF vest, then one for the wife, etc. Armor only has an expiration date because of lawyers, Most of the time, if it's kevlar based, it will last for many more years, especially if used only occasionally. The things that hurt armor is UV light, dampness, and being flexed. So if you stopped wearing it daily before the expiration date, it probably has lots of life left in it. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#5 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Contributor

Posted Apr. 30 2017 - 06:55 PM

There used to be a charity that accepted out of date armor. They then clean it, and give it to a cop where the pay is absolute garbage, and they can't afford armor of any kind. Sometimes reserves, sometimes full time. I know a couple of guys who've sent armor to that place. 

Me personally, I just recycle my old vest into the next range vest. As I accumulate them, I'll make one a SHTF vest, then one for the wife, etc. Armor only has an expiration date because of lawyers, Most of the time, if it's kevlar based, it will last for many more years, especially if used only occasionally. The things that hurt armor is UV light, dampness, and being flexed. So if you stopped wearing it daily before the expiration date, it probably has lots of life left in it.

I dont remimber what the expiration date on it was, it was bought in 12/2000 and I think I changed jobs in 03. It has been kept in the garage so out of direct sunlight but there is a higher level of humidity here in TN and it was not protected from that but has never been wet other than going from the AC to the store and back out. We didn't work out in the rain doing ATMs. It would probably stil work but I have access to other options now for SHTF. I can see where a cop might use it for training with it getting soaked with sweat and stuff but I do my training with military stuff that is post deployment so it is on the rough side already and more likley what I would be wearing for deployment.

Do you or can you get the info for that company?

#6 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted Apr. 30 2017 - 07:21 PM

I dont remimber what the expiration date on it was, it was bought in 12/2000 and I think I changed jobs in 03. It has been kept in the garage so out of direct sunlight but there is a higher level of humidity here in TN and it was not protected from that but has never been wet other than going from the AC to the store and back out. We didn't work out in the rain doing ATMs. It would probably stil work but I have access to other options now for SHTF. I can see where a cop might use it for training with it getting soaked with sweat and stuff but I do my training with military stuff that is post deployment so it is on the rough side already and more likley what I would be wearing for deployment.

Do you or can you get the info for that company?

Let me check around. I don't remember it offhand, but I know I found it once.

#7 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted Apr. 30 2017 - 07:27 PM

Found it. http://vestforlife.com/

#8 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!