• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Fxdwg

Fxdwg

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 32,034

Posted May. 19 2017 - 04:52 PM

Greeting, 

New member and looking for advice. But first, why doesn't this forum site have a thread for greeting the newbie like other sites do?

Now onto the meat and potatoes. Looking at (budget) AR's, I know there is a LOT of controversy with both SA and RRA in IL right now, but both offer some decent FA, how about Alex Pro Firearms, Windham, and S&W? Also found a SIG at a local shop that I could get into for under a grand (before tax).

Anywho, looking forward to the responses and learning form you all.  

#2 OFFLINE   rasputin

rasputin

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 371

Posted May. 19 2017 - 04:54 PM

Hey, greetings!

#3 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Member ID: 22,192

Posted May. 19 2017 - 04:58 PM

Welcome. 

S+W and Windham are good choices to get your feet wet. Also look at Palmetto State Armory or PSA as it's called. Their Freedom line and above have some great reviews and lots of folks here have them.

Signature:
Posted Image

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#4 ONLINE   srjdsmith

srjdsmith

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 31,337

Posted May. 19 2017 - 05:03 PM

I have a PSA Freedom upper and I love it. Started with an 80% lower (have you thought about building- starting with a stripped lower?). I wouldn't hesitate to have a PSA rifle given the quality of my upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Member ID: 22,192

Posted May. 19 2017 - 05:03 PM

As to the New guy introduction section......we have small welcome threads here and there. We are different than most other sites you will find......were better  :laugh:

Jump in explore the site and ask all the questions you want and we will answer them. Sometimes we chase rabbits in threads and get all sideways...it's normal.  :laugh:

#6 OFFLINE   Fxdwg

Fxdwg

Posted May. 19 2017 - 05:07 PM

As to the New guy introduction section......we have small welcome threads here and there. We are different than most other sites you will find......were better  :laugh:

Jump in explore the site and ask all the questions you want and we will answer them. Sometimes we chase rabbits in threads and get all sideways...it's normal.  :laugh:

Aah yes..sounds like a couple of other forums I belong to. 

#7 ONLINE   srjdsmith

srjdsmith

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 31,337

Posted May. 19 2017 - 05:09 PM

Also, Welcome! and lose any contact, bookmarks, or whatever you have for other black rifle chat sites- if these guys don't know about it, it doesn't exist. You won't find a friendlier or more knowledgeable bunch anywhere- online or IRL.

Edited by srjdsmith, May. 19 2017 - 05:10 PM.

• rasputin likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Fxdwg

Fxdwg

Posted May. 19 2017 - 05:12 PM

I have a PSA Freedom upper and I love it. Started with an 80% lower (have you thought about building- starting with a stripped lower?). I wouldn't hesitate to have a PSA rifle given the quality of my upper.

I have strongly considered building, but would like a ready to shoot before I go that route. Don't get me wrong I WILL build at some point, but the addiction has to start somewhere  :segrin:

• rasputin likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Fxdwg

Fxdwg

Posted May. 19 2017 - 05:13 PM

Also, Welcome! and lose any contact, bookmarks, or whatever you have for other black rifle chat sites- if these guys don't know about it, it doesn't exist. You won't find a friendlier or more knowledgeable bunch anywhere- online or IRL.

1st and only BR site I belong to, other sites are for other foolishnesses (sp?) like fishing, hunting and M/C..

• srjdsmith likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Fxdwg

Fxdwg

Posted May. 19 2017 - 05:20 PM

Welcome. 

S+W and Windham are good choices to get your feet wet. Also look at Palmetto State Armory or PSA as it's called. Their Freedom line and above have some great reviews and lots of folks here have them.

Thanks for the suggestion for PSA, I was just looking at their site and might have yet another contender. 

#11 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 417

Posted May. 19 2017 - 05:22 PM

Welcome to the Armory. Good folks here. You're one of them.

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#12 OFFLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 16,628

Posted May. 19 2017 - 05:58 PM

Welcome to the Armory! PSA is good to go. For the money I'd rather get a complete upper and lower from PSA than a Smith or Windham. You can also do a little mixing and matching more to your liking.
  • Fxdwg likes this

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#13 ONLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 21,495

Posted May. 19 2017 - 07:04 PM

Welcome.
What are you going to be using the rifle for? ,Range toy, HD?
Whats your budget, just for the rifle not optics or mags and ammo?
Cant beat a smith and wesson sport or sport 2 w forward assist and ejection port cover for a range toy and beginners rifle.

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#14 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted May. 19 2017 - 07:30 PM

Welcome to the board. Information flows like water over Niagara Falls. Additionally when you start building so does the money. If they had a picture of an enabler in the dictionary there are a couple poster children here. I avoid them like the plague.

Greg
  • Steelborn1 and Fxdwg like this

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#15 ONLINE   dfairclothrra

dfairclothrra

• Member ID: 12,185

Posted May. 19 2017 - 07:37 PM

welcome to the armory  

#16 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 33

Posted May. 19 2017 - 08:58 PM

Welcome. :anim_wave:

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#17 ONLINE   HAZMAT

HAZMAT

• Member ID: 31,714

Posted May. 19 2017 - 09:34 PM

Welcome aboard. :piratebo5: 

Matt

Signature:

Land & Marine Transportation Emergency Response ( Retired ) Petroleum Fire Fighting, HAZMAT and Spill Response.

Space Shuttle Columbia Recovery Team,  Corsicana, Texas  ICP.  2003

Benefactor Member: NRA

Valhalla, I am coming !  ...........................................Led Zeppelin

#18 ONLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

• Member ID: 30,977

Posted May. 20 2017 - 09:37 AM

I have strongly considered building, but would like a ready to shoot before I go that route. Don't get me wrong I WILL build at some point, but the addiction has to start somewhere  :segrin:

Welcome.  Building can be great fun and you are right in wanting a ready ti fire weapon as your first. That is the best advice anyone can give to an AR newbe.   My question would be, can you push two pins together to form a rifle?  Of course you can.  Complete upper assemblies and complete lower assemblies can be purchased from PSA and mated together with the pushing of two pins.  No will it fit issues, just push them together and go to the range.  You can save some money by doing this.  Go to http://palmettostatearmory.com/

and start looking at what they have to offer.  Stay with the Freedom offerings and you will put together a fine weapon.  You will have to find a local FFL to process the lower thru but other than that its an easy process.  Soon the Black Rifle Disease will have its hooks in you and you will start building from scratch.  Milspec means you can buy any part from any distributor and it probly going to work with any other part.  Its great fun finding deals and building what you exactly want in a rifle, going to the range and blasting some targets with something you have put together with your own two hands.

The guys here are full of knowledge and advice so you are in good hands.  Stick around and you will be a happy camper!

• Fxdwg likes this

#19 OFFLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 25,426

Posted May. 20 2017 - 09:56 AM

:welcome: to the Armory FX. You will find we are a much more newbe friendly site here. Ask questions, even if you think they're foolish questions.

In today's gun economy, there is no way I would spend $1000 for a starter rifle. There are many good rifles out there for way less than that. If you're building a custom rifle, yes, $1000 is not out of the question. But not an off the shelf starter. IMO

Sometimes we chase rabbits in threads and get all sideways...it's normal.  :laugh:

And we at the Armory don't bitchslap you into submission if you get a little off track like the other sites do. If we did, we'd all have red faces. :laugh:
  • LawDawg1911 and Fxdwg like this

Signature:

Lighten up Francis!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
A
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

t_army-of-the-trans-mississippi-confeder

#20 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted May. 20 2017 - 09:59 AM

beotch slap? How about a Bro Pat?

Greg

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center