• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pyro073

pyro073

Hoss

• Group:S. A. Staff
  • Member ID: 23,208

Posted May. 19 2017 - 07:05 PM

As the title says, Milky Way season has started for us in the Northern Hemisphere. So, I have been back at it late at night some more getting milky way photos. 

I got a new camera and have been putting it through its paces the last few months and I am very pleased so far. I also have been trying a few new things. 

Red%20Horse%20Butte%2012800%20stack-Edit

kepps%20crossing%20stack%20no%20NR%20fix

Farm%20house%20stack%2012800%20fixed-Edi

Here are some examples of some of the new things I have been trying. These are all panoramas. The first one is a 5 shot panorama with a 35mm f/1.8 lens. I have been trying to find an ISO that works and I pushed it a little far on this one but I still like it. 

DSC_0040-Pano-Edit-Edit_zpsijbhpzqu.jpg

DSC_0077-Pano-Edit-Edit_zpsvtg35lzt.jpg

On this one the Northern Lights were supposed to be really bright and even somewhat visible as far south as here in Idaho. I couldnt see them with my eyes. But, they showed up here on camera between the city light pollution and the butte.

DSC_0026-Pano-Edit-2_zpshohyxmsq.jpgRL]

I also had a chance to go to the Legacy Flight Museum up in Rexburg, ID. They have a P63, a few P51's as well as a few other things. All aircraft except for the retired Blue Angel A4 still fly. 

DSC_0042-Pano_zps1zcspckg.jpg

DSC_0018-Pano_zpsxxxptpb6.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsnsvb5alz.jpg

DSC_0030_zps6dvj9jan.jpg

DSC_0035_zps1fcdrvog.jpg

That same day, I headed over to a nearby wildlife refuge to put a lens I got earlier this year through it paces on some birds. 

DSC_0030-2_zpsds1ldofq.jpg

DSC_0213_zpsu3ds5iys.jpg

DSC_0194_zps9vy8kq3t.jpg

DSC_0154_zps0jxd2nzg.jpg

DSC_0219-2_zpspuo1pj3h.jpg

For this one, the owl was not amused I was hooting at him to get him to look at me. 

DSC_0264-2_zpsjwlqeb1c.jpg

Finally, I have also been improving my skills in photoshop. This one was a photo I really like but the lighting wasn't right and the sky was boring. So I added some better light and replaced the sky with a better one. 

Before:

_DSC0111-HDR_zpspygwalby.jpg

After:

_DSC0111-HDRps-Edit-Edit_zpsvjy89soi.jpg

Edited by pyro073, May. 19 2017 - 07:13 PM.

Signature:

One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time.
-Col. Jeff Cooper

#2 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted May. 19 2017 - 07:13 PM

I really like those sky shots.....except for the bright red lights....they pull my eye away from the focal point which is the stars. Great work!!!!!

Keep it up  :thumb:

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#3 OFFLINE   pyro073

pyro073

Hoss

Posted May. 19 2017 - 07:16 PM

I really like those sky shots.....except for the bright red lights....they pull my eye away from the focal point which is the stars. Great work!!!!!

Keep it up  :thumb:

Yeah, unfortunately, they can be avoided in that area. But on a side note your state gets most of the power generated by those from what I have been told anyway.

#4 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Member ID: 22,192

Posted May. 19 2017 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, unfortunately, they can be avoided in that area. But on a side note your state gets most of the power generated by those from what I have been told anyway.

Is there a way to photoshop the bright light out and have a normal, dark, unlit image of the windmill?  I think that would look cool as heck. A black image of the windmill against the stars would look so much softer on the eyes. 

#5 OFFLINE   pyro073

pyro073

Hoss

Posted May. 19 2017 - 07:26 PM

Is there a way to photoshop the bright light out and have a normal, dark, unlit image of the windmill?  I think that would look cool as heck. A black image of the windmill against the stars would look so much softer on the eyes. 

Not that I can think of. They blink too often and it takes a somewhat long exposure. I tried removing it completely. But, it did some weird things. So, I had to just leave it. 

#6 OFFLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 26,113

Posted May. 19 2017 - 07:27 PM

I like the spaceship aduction one at the top!!! I knew aliens where real!!!

Edited by hzhardy, May. 19 2017 - 07:27 PM.

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

#7 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Member ID: 33

Posted May. 19 2017 - 09:03 PM

Thank you for sharing your pictures.

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#8 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Member ID: 417

Posted May. 19 2017 - 09:05 PM

Great photos. Great.

There is so much light pollution here- we can see maybe 100 stars, if we're lucky.

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#9 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 16,016

Posted May. 19 2017 - 09:05 PM

Excellent photos sir. I honestly can say that I have never seen the Milky Way like that, thank you! The perturbed owl is great, love the look on his face. The shot that was photoshopped is beautiful, a little scary, but beautiful. Scary in the fact that it just proves that you cannot trust what you see in pictures anymore. But you did an incredible job with it.
Thank you for sharing your work with us, you are a very talented photographer.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#10 OFFLINE   scratchy wilson

scratchy wilson

• Member ID: 1,640

Posted May. 19 2017 - 10:55 PM

Good stuff!

#11 OFFLINE   alpo

alpo

• Member ID: 135

Posted May. 20 2017 - 05:35 AM

Those are excellent pictures.

Signature:

NRA LIFE MEMBER

gallery_135_65_1073.jpg

#12 ONLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Member ID: 25,426

Posted May. 20 2017 - 10:18 AM

Very nice Robert. I absolutely love your night sky photographs. I would love to see the night sky in all its wonder like that.

If you don't mind me asking, how long is your exposure on those shots?

Signature:

Lighten up Francis!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
A
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

gallery_25426_262_200.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   pyro073

pyro073

Hoss

Posted May. 21 2017 - 03:19 PM

Very nice Robert. I absolutely love your night sky photographs. I would love to see the night sky in all its wonder like that.

If you don't mind me asking, how long is your exposure on those shots?

For the wide angle photos they are 20 seconds. For the zoomed i shot, that's a 10 second with a higher ISO and more wide open aperture.

For astro photography to avoid star trailing you can use what is call the 500 rule. To find that magical number you take 500 and divide it by the focal length. If you have a camera with a crop sensor, you need to factor in that crop factor Nikon and Sony are 1.5x and Canon is 1.6x. So, since I am using a Nikon Crop Sensor camera my equation for a wide angle shot would look like this. 

11mmx1.5=16.5mm Equivalent focal length (we can round it down to 16)

500/16= 31.25

So in theory, that means I can have up to a 31 second exposure with no trailing. However, the angle of the lens can mess with this and from my experience, I do get a little trailing at that long of an exposure. So, I usually run 20 or 25 seconds as a safer bet. 

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center