New Trigger Doesn't Reset

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 11:11 AM

The new RA-140 will not reset. Passes function test with empty chamber and no magazine:

Charge bolt.

Set switch to safe and pull trigger. Hammer does not fall. Passes with no trigger movement.

Position switch to fire and pull trigger and hold trigger rearward. Pass. Hammer falls.

Charge bolt again while continuing to hold trigger rearward.

Slowly release trigger and listen for / feel of trigger reset. Pass. Trigger resets.

Pull trigger. Pass. Hammer falls

Info: Installed new trigger with new KNS anti-rotation pins. Just snugged them.

Did not adjust set screws of new trigger module.

Fired 10 rounds. 9 of 10 extracted and fed new round. 1 firing extracted and failed to feed new round.

During installation of new trigger module, its hole aligned easily with lower rcvr holes. It's not like there's a bind due to misaligned trigger / hammer pins / openings.

#2 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 11:42 AM

More info:

Sitting here doing function checks with the first safety check. Four things can happen.

1. If I just charge the bolt and pull trigger; hammer drops.

2. Charge bolt, pull hammer (drops) and hold trigger back while recharging:

a. trigger resets.

b. trigger goes forward a small amount with a very light click. Pull trigger and the travel is great. Release trigger and it then resets. Pull trigger and hammer drops.

c. Holding trigger back after an initial trigger pull / hammer drop, the charging handle will only pull about 1/2" or so and will go no farther.

d. trigger goes forward a small amount with a very light click. Push the trigger forward and it will fully reset (louder / firmer second click). Pull trigger and hammer drops.

More info: When installing trigger and testing, I used one of those plastic guards that prevents hammer from hitting rcvr when trigger is pulled. Function check would fail and I discovered the chunk of plastic would not allow reset. Removed the plastic (held in with forward pin) and held hammer with fingers. Hammer would complete its full travel allowing reset during function checks.

The function test failure is intermittent. The problem is not intermittent during live fire. As stated in older thread I could not reinstall the selector switch without a light tapping with plastic mallet. Once the switch went through the rcvr right side and the flat of the switch was aligned with the trigger and grip installed, the switch moved easily to safe / fire as it did before. Firm but easy. That's about everything I can think of.

#3 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 02:03 PM

Never made videos from camera before. Made 2. If I can get them uploaded, one will show my rather wordy descript of RA-140 and it's multi-clicks, etc as I manipulate hammer / trigger with lower rcvr in vise. The second video shows my Windham Weaponry factory hammer / trigger manipulation for comparision. No idea if the RA-140 acts differently by design compared to a normal factory trigger.

#4 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 03:59 PM

Here's comparative videos of new RA-140 trigger vs factory trigger in two different rifles. I have no idea if this first video of the RA-140 is how it's engineered to operate. At least I learned how to make a rough video, create a youtube account without exposing my gmail account, upload the videos, etc. Not bad for 2-3 hours.  :laugh:

#5 OFFLINE   JFife

JFife

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 31,431

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 04:19 PM

Whatever is going on, that trigger shouldn't be clicking twice like that. Has it been doing that since the beginning? Or after you had to tap in the safety selector with a mallet?

#6 OFFLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 30,474

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 04:47 PM

It almost sounds and behaves like a 2-stage trigger when you are working it slowly. What does it do when you release it without holding it?

Edited by TackleberryMCS, Jul. 11 2017 - 04:48 PM.

Signature:

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector since 2004
Oath Keeper member
III% United Patriots member

5b5tg4.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 04:53 PM

Whatever is going on, that trigger shouldn't be clicking twice like that. Has it been doing that since the beginning? Or after you had to tap in the safety selector with a mallet?

I did no testing until I installed the safety. Though I realize the safety should have required no tapping in, it was very light and as I said, the safety operated (felt) as it did before the install. Only thing I can figure is the safety must be making contact a bit in the fire position. But I don't know enough to say. I do know if you focus on the trigger you can see what's happening during those two audible clicks.

#8 OFFLINE   JFife

JFife

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 04:57 PM

Are the set screws in the module backed out all the way? Its almost as if the sear is catching again after the first release.

#9 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:02 PM

It almost sounds and behaves like a 2-stage trigger when you are working it slowly. What does it do when you release it without holding it?

The hammer? It'll drop fully forward.

FYI: In the video when the hammer was forward but not all the way forward, I pulled the trigger and it "fired". Surprised me because I had no protection to prohibit the hammer from hitting the rcvr. Didn't do that several times before or since then. 

#10 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:11 PM

Are the set screws in the module backed out all the way? Its almost as if the sear is catching again after the first release.

The set screws are as they came pkgd. About a thread or two exposed past the bottom of the module. Additionally, if I pull the hammer back to the first click, I can moved the switch to safe as I can when the hammer is all the way back.

#11 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:33 PM

If you use KNS pins you do not adjust the screws in the module  so that is correct. Did you torque your KNS pins? They should be snug but not torqued

Edited by gshayd, Jul. 11 2017 - 05:34 PM.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#12 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:34 PM

Does the disconnector only grab the rear of the hammer when live firing? The reason I ask is when I pull the hammer back and it cocks, there remains a small gap between the hammer / disco. Same with the other AR. With the AR in question, I can push the hammer down a bit more and the disco will grab. But I don't believe I'm supposed to do that. If I do that and pull the trigger, it might take 2 or three pulls for the hammer to release and when it does there is a slight jump of the hammer from the disco.

#13 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:39 PM

If you use KNS pins you do not adjust the screws in the module  so that is correct. Did you torque your KNS pins? They should be snug but not torqued

I did not torque them. I would consider them lightly snug. Regarding those screws, do they come pkgd exiting the module a little bit (like tiny feet) or should they be fully recessed?

#14 OFFLINE   JFife

JFife

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:41 PM

I'm pretty sure the disconnector only grabs if the hammer is reset with the trigger fully pulled to the rear.

#15 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Member ID: 16,016

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:43 PM

Does the disconnector only grab the rear of the hammer when live firing? The reason I ask is when I pull the hammer back and it cocks, there remains a small gap between the hammer / disco. Same with the other AR. With the AR in question, I can push the hammer down a bit more and the disco will grab. But I don't believe I'm supposed to do that. If I do that and pull the trigger, it might take 2 or three pulls for the hammer to release and when it does there is a slight jump of the hammer from the disco.

I'm glad someone chimed in to help. I kept looking but couldn't offer anything.
But after reading your last post I might have discovered something. It's that dang "disco" it killed rock and roll you know.
Sorry, I know this is serious but sometimes you just have to smile.
  • bamashooter likes this

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#16 OFFLINE   JFife

JFife

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:44 PM

Can you take a video of the internals of the FCG as you work the trigger?

#17 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:47 PM

I'm glad someone chimed in to help. I kept looking but couldn't offer anything.
But after reading your last post I might have discovered something. It's that dang "disco" it killed rock and roll you know.
Sorry, I know this is serious but sometimes you just have to smile.

A bit serious for me but I like humor as long as those helping can deal with it.

#18 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:47 PM

Can you take a video of the internals of the FCG as you work the trigger?

I can try. 

#19 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Member ID: 16,016

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:50 PM

A bit serious for me but I like humor as long as those helping can deal with it.

You have the best minds across the country helping you. Someone will figure it out.
  • bamashooter likes this

#20 OFFLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 26,113

Posted Jul. 11 2017 - 05:59 PM

I did not torque them. I would consider them lightly snug. Regarding those screws, do they come pkgd exiting the module a little bit (like tiny feet) or should they be fully recessed?

those screws that protrude out the bottom are ment to remove and are suppose to be tightened down into lower to help lock axis pins in. A loose drop in will make it not reset as intended and cause it to "bumpfire" during recoil.

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center