#1 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 08:11 AM

Well, MS finally downloaded their super-duper upgrade which included 

a 3d graphics software program that upgrades my graphic card to enable 3D

MS makes it VERY clear that they own the 3D graphics accelerator they put on my cmputer....

wait for it...

Much to my surprise the purpose of the 3D program is to allow the home user

to take their 3D creation, send it to MS, who will happily take the design

and have the invention created on a 3D printer and  then ship your realized invention back to you !

You can also download any design you have created elsewhere and send it in.

What a wonderful world we live in ! !   If nothing else, think of the children !

The first question that comes to my mind is how many poor saps are gong to invent something to be made on

a 3D printer and one of two things happen:

If the excited home user is not the most worldly person on his block, and submits

a design for a widget that will either change the world, or maybe just make some money,

and has not taken the proper legal steps to protect their design,

what are the chances that MS and or the division or company they are outsourcing

the 3D printing to will have a little say in  who owns that design ?

Don't forget, if you are using MS 3D graphics accelerator included THEY own that, not you.

If IF the home user has taken some legal precautions, what is to prevent MS 

from doing a tweek here and a tweak there, and then the inventor of the design

has the option of trying to fight MS's army of lawyers.

The biggest brain drain since we rounded up Nazi scientists after WWII, with the worst of Big Brother

intentions, or am I just too cynical for my own good ? 

Or something in between ? 

What say you ?

Signature:

A Vote for Trump is a vote for a liberal !

NRA Life Member

The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.

Repeal the 17th Amendment.

Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#2 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 6,696

Contributor

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 08:15 AM

I say get. Mac.

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#3 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 08:20 AM

I say get. Mac.

Have an Ipad and our first smartphones will most likely be Appo.

It is hard to swallow the price of a Mac laptop or desk top.

But what do you think about what I consider the hoovering up of 

design ideas from around the world ?

Wait, they just want little Billy to design his own toy truck

so he can be a computer whiz some day and have a great job and a good life....

Which is it?

#4 OFFLINE   j-dub

j-dub

Zombie H-K

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 5,140

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 08:25 AM

I say get. Mac.

:stirpot:

macsucks.gif

:laugh:

Signature:

#5 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 08:36 AM

Ah, the deep thinking arrives.... 

Love that clip !            :bellylaf:

Edited by Retcop, Jul. 15 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#6 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 10:48 AM

Anyone who is stupid enough to send some invention to a major corporation for printing all but deserves to have it stolen. Anyone who is prototyping something that they intend to use to make money should be doing said prototyping and keeping it quiet, not sending it to third party vendors that they don't have any agreement with about intellectual property, nor any patent protection. 

You're inventing a boogeyman John. Microsoft is offering a service. If someone is stupid, they'll use it for a valuable prototype. You've doubtlessly seen the ads for "Inventech" that will promote your new doo-dad, help you get a patent, sell your idea to a company... all for a fee of course, that winds up being the lion's share of the rights to your doo-dad. They're advertising on television all the time, they must be making money if they can afford airtime. 

• Flesh Wound likes this

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#7 ONLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Member ID: 26,113

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 10:51 AM

So it if i do a cad of a ar15 reciever they will print me a ghost gun for free???

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

#8 OFFLINE   muzlblast

muzlblast

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 17,517

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 10:58 AM

Anyone who is stupid enough to send some invention to a major corporation for printing all but deserves to have it stolen. Anyone who is prototyping something that they intend to use to make money should be doing said prototyping and keeping it quiet, not sending it to third party vendors that they don't have any agreement with about intellectual property, nor any patent protection. 

You're inventing a boogeyman John. Microsoft is offering a service. If someone is stupid, they'll use it for a valuable prototype. You've doubtlessly seen the ads for "Inventech" that will promote your new doo-dad, help you get a patent, sell your idea to a company... all for a fee of course, that winds up being the lion's share of the rights to your doo-dad. They're advertising on television all the time, they must be making money if they can afford airtime.

Lets also not forget that Billy boy made his fortune stealing intellectual propert from Steve Jobs...

#9 ONLINE   HAZMAT

HAZMAT

• Member ID: 31,714

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 11:19 AM

A wise old sage once told me: Everyone on planet earth will take advantage of you if you let them, family, friends and strangers.

Matt

Signature:

Land & Marine Transportation Emergency Response ( Retired ) Petroleum Fire Fighting, HAZMAT and Marine Spill Response.

Space Shuttle Columbia Recovery Team,  Corsicana, Texas  ICP.  2003

Benefactor Member: NRA

Valhalla, I am coming !  ...........................................Led Zeppelin

#10 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 16,016

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 11:23 AM

Lets also not forget that Billy boy made his fortune stealing intellectual propert from Steve Jobs...

Lol, NOT.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#11 OFFLINE   BushXM15

BushXM15

• Member ID: 6,707

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 02:00 PM

So it if i do a cad of a ar15 reciever they will print me a ghost gun for free???

With a special surprise visit from  wait for it  drum role ;  Men in Black  :segrin:  courtesy BATFE !!!...

Allow Me to tell all of you how smart some people AREN'T !.  Watched boob tube news the other night local yokel reporter is standing outside a Bridal shop ,interviewing a Black Woman who's banging on an door too an EMPTY building !. Seems the proprietors of no less than 160 of these shops ,folded during the evening hours and left SEVERAL Brides dressless !.  AN There's that woman BANGING on a LOCKED CLOSED DOOR yelling , I wants My monies or da dress Now  expletive yo mama and the horse she rode in on !!!...   

Signature:

#12 OFFLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

• Member ID: 17,136

Posted Jul. 15 2017 - 07:58 PM

Lol, NOT.

I know, that was one of the funniest things I have read all day.

#13 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

• Member ID: 7,742

Posted Jul. 16 2017 - 12:40 PM

Having developed a couple new products with a couple larger corporations, if you don't have NDAs and no-competes signed and well documented then you're on your own.  Even if you do, all you have is something that justifies paying lawyers a crap load of money to try to fight for what you have.

Pepper is right, if you are on your own developing something, keep your mouth shut until you have a product.  Don't send it out to everybody who looks at you sideways because you will get f**ked and all you will get out of it is the chance to pay an attorney all the money you would have made anyway.

#14 OFFLINE   Proficient 1911

Proficient 1911

• Member ID: 16,319

Posted Jul. 17 2017 - 11:06 AM

Who made his fortune by steeling intellectual property from Steve Wozniack.....

Signature:

Visit Simple Tech and discover advanced solutions for your Business IT needs.

500HP Volvo motor build Abandoned :(

Operation 5.0 is a GO
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest"

- Another day lived. Another week survived. Another month suffered. Another year, the cycle starts again-

#15 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Jul. 17 2017 - 02:24 PM

You ever hear the story of the guy who invented the pop bottle cap in the 80s?  It was a simple plastic pop on cap for closing glass soda bottles after they were opened.  That was before these twist off plastic bottles.  It was a simple thing, cheap thing.  The guy got stinking rich off of it.  I'm talking cost about 2 cents to make and they were sold and even given away for pennies and he got super rich because he had the forethought to patent the idea and kept a team of lawyers chasing down infringements.  Think about this a minute, there was no science to it.  A three year old could have designed it.  He just saw a need and got a patent on the fill.  You all remember those things, simple thing. 

Send Microsoft some idea, the same microsoft that has no qualms stealing your personal information and reselling it?  No thanks.  Might as well email it to China or India yourself.  

Tj

• Retcop likes this

#16 OFFLINE   sw9mm

sw9mm

Jan 1 2016 Back home in Texas

• Member ID: 8,040

Posted Jul. 17 2017 - 02:52 PM

Who made his fortune by steeling intellectual property from Steve Wozniack.....

They got the mouse and the GUI from Xerox, who said it was cool experiment but (management) had no clue what to do with it. Then Bill G jumped on the band wagon after the Macintosh's GUI and mouse was released.
If you need a 3d printer for small prototypes they are fairly inexpensive.

Signature:
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice."
-Senator Barry Goldwater

If it wasn't for double standards the left would have no standards

#17 OFFLINE   Proficient 1911

Proficient 1911

• Member ID: 16,319

Posted Jul. 17 2017 - 04:11 PM

They got the mouse and the GUI from Xerox, who said it was cool experiment but (management) had no clue what to do with it. Then Bill G jumped on the band wagon after the Macintosh's GUI and mouse was released.
If you need a 3d printer for small prototypes they are fairly inexpensive.

Who didn't get their stuff from Xerox or IBM? If those two companies could actually hang onto IP... who knows where we'd be....

#18 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jul. 23 2017 - 03:42 PM

While I agree that a version of "buyer beware" must me strongly applied to this new channel for invention,

I did not invent the boogeyman. His name is John Wick !    :laugh:

No, really, his name is Bill Gates.

#19 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jul. 23 2017 - 03:51 PM

Having developed a couple new products with a couple larger corporations, if you don't have NDAs and no-competes signed and well documented then you're on your own.  Even if you do, all you have is something that justifies paying lawyers a crap load of money to try to fight for what you have.

Pepper is right, if you are on your own developing something, keep your mouth shut until you have a product.  Don't send it out to everybody who looks at you sideways because you will get f**ked and all you will get out of it is the chance to pay an attorney all the money you would have made anyway.

I asked if I was being too cynical. 

It seems that where we all differ the most is that I would not be in the least bit surprised that even if someone took the proper precautions protecting their design, if Billy wanted it badly enough he would just take it, and worry about the case that would get settled in about 10 years, if at all.

By the time the would-be inventor got through being savaged by Gate's lawyers, and his entire enterprise put on hold by the MS Machine,

they would either want to, or have to give up due to legal costs.

Maybe I am too cynical on this topic... 

• JohnGaltOU812 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   rmc51

rmc51

• Member ID: 29,104

Posted Jul. 23 2017 - 07:28 PM

I asked if I was being too cynical. 

It seems that where we all differ the most is that I would not be in the least bit surprised that even if someone took the proper precautions protecting their design, if Billy wanted it badly enough he would just take it, and worry about the case that would get settled in about 10 years, if at all.

By the time the would-be inventor got through being savaged by Gate's lawyers, and his entire enterprise put on hold by the MS Machine,

they would either want to, or have to give up due to legal costs.

Maybe I am too cynical on this topic... 

Sounds about cynically correct to me.  :tiphat:

Edited by rmc51, Jul. 23 2017 - 07:29 PM.

Signature:

RMC

Florida Keys

ALWAYS LOOK BEHIND

“There are three kinds of men.

The one that learns by reading.

The few who learn by observation.

The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.”

– Will Rogers

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users