• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 750

Posted Aug. 08 2017 - 03:42 PM

Detroit free press, as far left wing/liberal as they come and then some....

Marijuana devastated Colorado, dont legalize it nationally
Arrests are up and people are in danger. by Jeff Hunt

Last week, Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) introduced the Marijuana Justice Act in an effort to legalize marijuana across the nation and penalize local communities that want nothing to do with this dangerous drug.

This is the furthest reaching marijuana legalization effort to date and marks another sad moment in our nations embrace of a drug that will have generational consequences.

Our country is facing a drug epidemic. Legalizing recreational marijuana will do nothing that Senator Booker expects. We heard many of these same promises in 2012 when Colorado legalized recreational marijuana.
In the years since, Colorado has seen an increase in marijuana related traffic deaths, poison control calls, and emergency room visits.

The marijuana black market has increased in Colorado, not decreased.

And, numerous Colorado marijuana regulators have been indicted for corruption.

In 2012, we were promised funds from marijuana taxes would benefit our communities, particularly schools.
Dr. Harry Bull, the Superintendent of Cherry Creek Schools, one of the largest school districts in the state, said, "So far, the only thing that the legalization of marijuana has brought to our schools has been marijuana."

In fiscal year 2016, marijuana tax revenue resulted in $156,701,018. The total tax revenue for Colorado was $13,327,123,798, making marijuana only 1.18% of the state's total tax revenue.

The cost of marijuana legalization in public awareness campaigns, law enforcement, healthcare treatment, addiction recovery, and preventative work is an unknown cost to date.

Senator Booker stated his reasons for legalizing marijuana is to reduce "marijuana arrests happening so much in our country, targeting certain communities - poor communities, minority communities."

It's a noble cause to seek to reduce incarceration rates among these communities but legalizing marijuana has had the opposite effect.

According to the Colorado Department of Public Safety, arrests in Colorado of black and Latino youth for marijuana possession have increased 58% and 29% respectively after legalization. This means that Black and Latino youth are being arrested more for marijuana possession after it became legal.

Furthermore, a vast majority of Colorado's marijuana businesses are concentrated in neighborhoods of color.
Leaders from these communities, many of whom initially voted to legalize recreational marijuana, often speak out about the negative impacts of these businesses.

Senator Booker released his bill just a few days after the Washington Post reported on a study by the Review of Economic Studies that found "college students with access to recreational cannabis on average earn worse grades and fail classes at a higher rate."

Getting off marijuana especially helped lower performing students who were at risk of dropping out.

Since legalizing marijuana, Colorado's youth marijuana use rate is the highest in the nation, 74% higher than the national average, according to the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Report.

This is having terribly negative effects on the education of our youth.

If Senator Booker is interested in serving poor and minority communities, legalizing marijuana is one of the worst decisions. There is much work to be done to reduce incarceration and recidivism, but flooding communities with drugs will do nothing but exacerbate the problems.
The true impact of marijuana on our communities is just starting to be learned.

The negative consequences of legalizing recreational marijuana will be felt for generations.

I encourage Senator Booker to spend time with parents, educators, law enforcement, counselors, community leaders, pastors, and legislators before rushing to legalize marijuana nationally.

Weve seen the effects in our neighborhoods in Colorado, and this is nothing we wish upon the nation.

Jeff Hunt is the Vice President of Public Policy at Colorado Christian University.

http://www.freep.com...lumn/536010001/
  • weintraubjack139 likes this

Signature:
In the end we're all just chalk lines on concrete only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that I'm not.

#2 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

Posted Aug. 08 2017 - 03:53 PM

And then you have all this pollution when it comes to Kalif pot...

https://www.reuters.com/

#3 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

Posted Aug. 08 2017 - 03:54 PM

https://www.reuters....t-idUSKBN1AM0C3

#4 OFFLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 417

Posted Aug. 08 2017 - 07:21 PM

We get it Rampy. You don't want pot legalized. Lot's of people do. Don't smoke it if you don't want to. Don't go to Colorado if it bothers you so much.  Those are choices you make.

• muddyduck likes this

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#5 OFFLINE   calebj06

calebj06

• Member ID: 27,288

Posted Aug. 08 2017 - 09:48 PM

We get it Rampy. You don't want pot legalized. Lot's of people do. Don't smoke it if you don't want to. Don't go to Colorado if it bothers you so much.  Those are choices you make.

Pretty sure rampy didn't write that article so maybe you should be upset with someone other than him.

Btw: I thought it was a good read and good info to have. Not one bit of it surprises me either.

#6 OFFLINE   muddyduck

muddyduck

• Member ID: 23,209

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 05:05 AM

Sorry your point of if you don't like it don't do it, doesn't work here. Just like cigarettes and second hand smoking. I choose not to, but I'm still forced to breath second hand smoke. Now if or when some pot head smokes around myself or my children... I'm left dealing with their crap. Sorry your perceived rights don't superseded mine.

It was a good read, and very informative.

Edited by muddyduck, Aug. 10 2017 - 05:18 AM.

Signature:
"IT'S BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.".

#7 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 05:32 AM

Pretty sure rampy didn't write that article so maybe you should be upset with someone other than him.

Btw: I thought it was a good read and good info to have. Not one bit of it surprises me either.

Really G.

A reporter presents a laundry list of the negative effects of cannabis lrgalization, and your response is

tough, if you don't like it, don't smoke, don't go to Colorado (or surrounding States that are being effected too),

or move if you already live there.

How about the fact that it is still illegal under Federal statute?

Maybe this bothers you to have people discussing the truth about cannabis because there will be pushback from other States, or if the people in Colorado get enough accurate information maybe they will have the law changed? 

I don't see you taking the same attitude toward any Municipality that enacts stricter "gun control" than State or federal law.

A little consistency please.

We get it G,  [doesn't that sound snarky?]

you want anti legislation people just to shut up.

If you shut us up, we can never mount a movement to reverse these laws, or to prevent other States from legalizing.

What % of your portfolio did you put in Pot futures ?  :laugh:

Did you miss your anti-Leftist vaccination this year ?

This just shut up attitude is not gonna fly, my friend.

Signature:

A Vote for Trump is a vote for a liberal !

NRA Life Member

The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.

Repeal the 17th Amendment.

Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#8 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 05:37 AM

Sorry your point of if you don't like it don't do it, doesn't work here. Just like cigarettes and second hand smoking. I choose not to, but I'm still forced to breath second hand smoke. Now if or when some pot head smokes around myself or my children... I'm left dealing with their crap. Sorry your perceived rights don't superseded mine.

That is a REALLY good point, but I would be a hypocrite if I supported it.

However, tobacco is not a psychotropic drug, either.

If you want a smoking bar, have a smoking bar. If you want to make it non smoking, fine, let the market handle it.

A smoker not being able to have a smoke OUTSIDE ?  Gimme a break. 

#9 OFFLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 06:09 AM

Really G.

A reporter presents a laundry list of the negative effects of cannabis lrgalization, and your response is

tough, if you don't like it, don't smoke, don't go to Colorado (or surrounding States that are being effected too),

or move if you already live there.

How about the fact that it is still illegal under Federal statute?

Maybe this bothers you to have people discussing the truth about cannabis because there will be pushback from other States, or if the people in Colorado get enough accurate information maybe they will have the law changed? 

I don't see you taking the same attitude toward any Municipality that enacts stricter "gun control" than State or federal law.

A little consistency please.

We get it G,  [doesn't that sound snarky?]

you want anti legislation people just to shut up.

If you shut us up, we can never mount a movement to reverse these laws, or to prevent other States from legalizing.

What % of your portfolio did you put in Pot futures ?  :laugh:

Did you miss your anti-Leftist vaccination this year ?

This just shut up attitude is not gonna fly, my friend.

I love how we talk about states rights, but that only applies if you agree with the law apparently. I love how we say if you don't like something, you can choose not to do it, but apparently that only applies if it's something we like. 

I love how one article supports a position, and it the be all and end all of discussion, but an article with an opposing point of view is :fake news."

If ever a place had a double standard, this is that place.

#10 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 06:24 AM

I love how we talk about states rights, but that only applies if you agree with the law apparently. I love how we say if you don't like something, you can choose not to do it, but apparently that only applies if it's something we like. 

I love how one article supports a position, and it the be all and end all of discussion, but an article with an opposing point of view is :fake news."

If ever a place had a double standard, this is that place.

You are putting a ton of words into my mouth.

For instance, where in my post did I say the article Rampy posted is the "be all and end all of all discussion." 

Are you denying that cannabis being illegal under federal law, but legal under some States' Law is not only a very rare situation, but also a legal conundrum that needs to be sorted ?  

I have litterally 4 stacks 3 ft tall each of nothing but research studies in my office proving the negative effects of regular cannabis use.

In addition, Don't ever accuse me of basing my opinion on one article. 

Also, I have never accused anyone who is pro-legalization of presenting "fake news". 

You know me better than that. 

Yet again, you did not address a single one of the points in my post that you quoted. 

#11 OFFLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 06:32 AM

You are putting a ton of words into my mouth.

For instance, where in my post did I say the article Rampy posted is the "be all and end all of all discussion." 

Are you denying that cannabis being illegal under federal law, but legal under some States' Law is not only a very rare situation, but also a legal conundrum that needs to be sorted ?  

I have litterally 4 stacks 3 ft tall each of nothing but research studies in my office proving the negative effects of regular cannabis use.

In addition, Don't ever accuse me of basing my opinion on one article. 

Also, I have never accused anyone who is pro-legalization of presenting "fake news". 

You know me better than that. 

Yet again, you did not address a single one of the points in my post that you quoted. 

First of all, I'm not referring to you in particular. This is a discussion with many members. Second, have you sought out all the literature on the positive effects of weed? You could also have stacks of that information as well. 

#12 OFFLINE   muddyduck

muddyduck

• Member ID: 23,209

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 06:40 AM

If you want a smoking bar, have a smoking bar. If you want to make it non smoking, fine, let the market handle it.

I agree with you about cigarette smoking I can for the most part escape from it even though I hate it, I was however using that example to drive my point about second hand smoke fro pot use. The effects are much more dangerous to those around.

#13 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 06:56 AM

First of all, I'm not referring to you in particular. This is a discussion with many members. Second, have you sought out all the literature on the positive effects of weed? You could also have stacks of that information as well. 

Then don't quote my specific post to try and make your point, when my position

does not line up with the points you are challenging, please. Thank you.

Yes, I have research showing positive uses of cannabis. It is miniscule compared to the University based

peer reviewed long term studies of the effects of regular cannabis use.

Unless you want me to include High Times and stoner blogs as legitimate research.

What you have to understand, G, is that the mainstream media, in consort with the pro=pot lobby, IMHO, that has raised the expectations

of so many as to the number of conditions cannabis is effective in treating, and the degree to which

symptoms are relieved. 

Besides, Colorado has legalized the possession of cannabis for recreational use.

There are zero studies that I am aware of that show any positive effects of the regular use

of cannabis. So no, there is no stack of studies for that. There is no known upside to the regular

use of cannabis as a recreational drug that would come anywhere near to balancing out the well

known and documented negative effects. 

Edited by Retcop, Aug. 10 2017 - 06:57 AM.

• Steelborn1 likes this

#14 ONLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 16,628

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 07:18 AM

My sister in law's boyfriend is a big pothead. He was all excited about legalization in Florida before i moved. He didn't like it when I told him that I've literally watched him get dumber over the years with his use.

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#15 OFFLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 07:27 AM

Cigarettes are addictive though. And cigarettes are proven to cause disease, and cause economic issues. And yet, cigarettes are still legal.

So why not treat cigarettes like pot? Don't smoke it outside, only in your home.

#16 ONLINE   j-dub

j-dub

Zombie H-K

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 5,140

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 08:02 AM

the un did a study on second tobacco smoke back in the 90's iirc.   the report could not confirm or deny any links to cancers or other health issues directly linked to second hand smoke.  unfortunately the report did not meet the agenda of the day, and was subsequently buried. 

fast forward a couple of decades.  can't wear cologne due to some slack jawed fruitloop saying it gives them a headache.   folks today are but a figment of what we used to be before all this pc crap got crammed down everyone's throat.

Signature:

#17 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 08:05 AM

Cigarettes are addictive though. And cigarettes are proven to cause disease, and cause economic issues. And yet, cigarettes are still legal.

So why not treat cigarettes like pot? Don't smoke it outside, only in your home.

Surely you can come up with something better than comparing cigarettes to pot. 

#18 OFFLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 08:06 AM

the un did a study on second tobacco smoke back in the 90's iirc.   the report could not confirm or deny any links to cancers or other health issues directly linked to second hand smoke.  unfortunately the report did not meet the agenda of the day, and was subsequently buried. 

fast forward a couple of decades.  can't wear cologne due to some slack jawed fruitloop saying it gives them a headache.   folks today are but a figment of what we used to be before all this pc crap got crammed down everyone's throat.

There are plenty of studies about the dangers of secondhand smoke, and even third hand smoke.  Are you seriously denying there are issues related to second hand smoke?

#19 OFFLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 08:07 AM

Surely you can come up with something better than comparing cigarettes to pot. 

Surely you don't think that cigarette smoking and pot smoking shouldn't be treated the same way?

#20 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 08:11 AM

Surely you don't think that cigarette smoking and pot smoking shouldn't be treated the same way?

It would be nice if you could get high on cigarettes but you can't 

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center