Photo

Reloading Bench for tight spaces

14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   schrödinger's cat

schrödinger's cat

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 30,709

Posted Aug. 09 2017 - 02:21 PM

So I live in a small place and don't have a garage, shed or basement. I keep all my tools and stuff in the closet that has the water heater and furnace, and also in my study. This has not really left me with anywhere to mount my press or my vice. I do have a pretty heavy and sturdy desk in my office though, so I decided to make a stand that connects to my desk. 

Although I'd love learn, I don't know how to weld yet and I figure that a $90 HF junk welder won't cut it. So I went to my local steel supplier and bought a 2x2 square tube cut to the height of my desk. I also bought a 1/4" plate cut to 20"x14''. My total was $42, and the guys kindly cut the plate for me with their hydraulic shears so it wouldn't take me hours to do an imperfect job with my angle grinder. This is what I was left with.

IMG_3277.jpg

I then went to my local welding shop and paid $50 for him to do 3 welds, the floor plate, the top plate, and a shelf to secure it to the desk. I wanted him to weld a triangular support for every plate but he said it would be unnecessary. Here is a mock-up. (the desk is not usually that messy, I promise.) Everything will be properly aligned.

IMG_3278.jpg

I also bought a 80 grit sanding pad and some brake cleaner and a can of this31e042bd-9261-4c7c-8573-5f47103b3f17_100

Edited by schrödinger's cat, Aug. 10 2017 - 12:40 AM.

• Bentwrench likes this

#2 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Member ID: 26,245

Posted Aug. 09 2017 - 02:23 PM

Pic link no workee.

Signature:

Flesh Wound

Blessed are the peacekeepers.

flag.jpg

Truth is like a lion. You do not have to defend it.

Let it free. It will defend it's self.

#3 ONLINE   chrisdivebum

chrisdivebum

• Member ID: 32,084

Posted Aug. 09 2017 - 02:45 PM

So I live in a small place and don't have a garage, shed or basement. I keep all my tools and stuff in the closet that has the water heater and furnace, and also in my study. This has not really left me with anywhere to mount my press or my vice. I do have a pretty heavy and sturdy desk in my office though, so I decided to make a stand that connects to my desk. 
Although I'd love learn, I don't know how to weld yet and I figure that a $90 HF junk welder won't cut it. So I went to my local steel supplier and bought a 2x2 square tube cut to the height of my desk. I also bought a 1/4" plate cut to 20"x14''. My total was $42, and the guys kindly cut the plate for me with their hydraulic shears so it wouldn't take me hours to do an imperfect job with my angle grinder. This is what I was left with.

I then went to my local welding shop and paid $50 for him to do 3 welds, the floor plate, the top plate, and a shelf to secure it to the desk. I wanted him to weld a triangular support for every plate but he said it would be unnecessary. Here is a mock-up. (the desk is not usually that messy, I promise.) Everything will be properly aligned.
 http://imgur.com/a/RXe4s
I also bought a 80 grit sanding pad and some brake cleaner and a can of this
 https://www.google.c...502392298743497

Have a good new book on the subject. Am on the 1000yard but have book with. Pm me I will take pictures & send you

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

#4 ONLINE   chrisdivebum

chrisdivebum

• Member ID: 32,084

Posted Aug. 09 2017 - 02:52 PM

Try this only about a 12 dollar book from Amazon dcaf449281d326a089f7130c8a333b66.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
  • Bentwrench likes this

#5 OFFLINE   schrödinger's cat

schrödinger's cat

Posted Aug. 09 2017 - 11:39 PM

Here it is welded and held the way I wanted it originally.

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

boogered up one of the holes trying to make a wider chamfered opening

IMG_3286.jpg

But either way that hole is just a tiny bit off so I need to mess with it anyway.

IMG_3287.jpg

After spending more time than I care to think about with some files and a sanding block. Tomorrow I'll just hit the whole thing top to bottom with a wire wheel and then paint it.

One issue I didn't anticipate is that it will be difficult for me to countersink the bolts and there is not enough clearance for a bolthead between the bottom of the top plate and the desk. This is only a problem with the bolt in the back. I think I'll also remove the leg of the desk and drill some holes through the top of it and bolt it to the middle shelf.

Edited by schrödinger's cat, Aug. 10 2017 - 12:46 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Aug. 09 2017 - 11:43 PM

Can't get to your pics.......On imgur I click on my name and choose images....open each one then click on direct and then copy here......not sure how it works on a phone.

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#7 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 16,016

Posted Aug. 09 2017 - 11:49 PM

Here it is welded and held the way I wanted it originally.
http://imgur.com/a/Ubi18
http://imgur.com/a/W7gUR
http://imgur.com/a/r5iXB
boogered up one of the holes trying to make a wider chamfered opening
http://imgur.com/a/dTzxC
But either way that hole is just a tiny bit off so I need to mess with it anyway.
http://imgur.com/a/kN7Mt
After spending more time than I care to think about with some files and a sanding block. Tomorrow I'll just hit the whole thing top to bottom with a wire wheel and then paint it.
One issue I didn't anticipate is that it will be difficult for me to countersink the bolts and there is not enough clearance for a bolthead between the bottom of the top plate and the desk. This is only a problem with the bolt in the back. I think I'll also remove the leg of the desk and drill some holes through the top of it and bolt it to the middle shelf.

All I get is a pic of some dude and a broken TV.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#8 OFFLINE   schrödinger's cat

schrödinger's cat

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 12:04 AM

Hmmm, today is the first time I tried using imgur. How do you get the photo to load using the image tab ? I put in the URL and nothing happens. Let me try again.

#9 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 12:06 AM

On a laptop hover over you name on the right, click images. Click on the picture you want to upload, on the right click the link marked direct. Come here and paste it into the photo link and hit ok

#10 OFFLINE   schrödinger's cat

schrödinger's cat

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 12:26 AM

Okay, I switched to an easier and faster interface, imgbb. Everything should work. Now let's get those pictures to show automatically.

Aha!! I am doing it in a retarded way but I got it.

Edited by schrödinger's cat, Aug. 10 2017 - 12:48 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Aug. 10 2017 - 06:09 AM

Pretty dang cool, Cat !

I love good old American ingenuity. 

• schrödinger's cat likes this

Signature:

A Vote for Trump is a vote for a liberal !

NRA Life Member

The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.

Repeal the 17th Amendment.

Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#12 OFFLINE   schrödinger's cat

schrödinger's cat

Posted Aug. 15 2017 - 02:10 PM

I just remembered I never finished posting the pictures. It's really solid and I am very pleased. The vice bolted to a removable plate that I can take on and off.

[media]IMG_3338.jpg
IMG_3341.jpg
IMG_3342.jpg
IMG_3343.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Aug. 15 2017 - 11:34 PM

Nice!

• schrödinger's cat likes this

#14 ONLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

• Group:E.S. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,055

Posted Aug. 16 2017 - 03:50 PM

Very cool SC, good work!

Signature:
If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal isn't for you.
Ignorance can be cured by knowledge, Stupid is Forever.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no eyes or ears."

"On every unauthoritative exercise of power by the legislature must the people rise in rebellion or their silence be construed into a surrender of that power to them? If so, how many rebellions should we have had already?"

"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."

#15 ONLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 25,426

Posted Aug. 16 2017 - 04:24 PM

Very nice SC, but please tell me you're not doing any damage to that beautiful desk.  :unsure:

Let us know how it works.

Signature:

Lighten up Francis!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
A
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

gallery_25426_262_200.jpg

Reply to this topic

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center