AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

3M Peltor Vs. Howard Leight Electronic Ear Pro.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 11:47 AM

Well I finally had enough. I was not going to run through another class with this set of Peltor electronic hearing protection.

So prior to to attending some shooting classes recently I bought a new pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ears and I am am glad I did.

To be fair both the Peltor Sport Tactical and the HL Impact Sport perform the same as far as usability, fit, clarity and sound protection. 

The real differences are in design. These features are widely different. And these differences make, in my opinion, the Howard Leight, if you'll pardon the pun, light years ahead.

The HL set is super simple. Slide off a cover, insert two AAA batteries, power on and you are good-to-go. It also features power off after 4 hours. The on-off and volume knob is recessed into the shell of one ear cup and is easy to operate but hard to accidentally turn on. That alone is enough to win over the Peltor. In short these work well. Fit well, do not interfere with shouldering an AR15 etc.

In contrast the Peltor is somewhat complicated and clumsy. The Peltor uses 4 AAA batteries. Two in each ear cup. To replace the batteries is a royal pain in the ass. You have to carefully pull off the cover with the ear cushion attached to get to the battery holders. I can see somebody tearing off the cushion trying to swap a set of batteries. You have to do this for each side as each ear cup has it's own independent mic/amp/speaker. For at least a year I just used the Peltor like a set of standard dumb ear muffs as the battery and controls issue was just a huge pain to deal with and the expectation I'd have dead batteries next range trip.

The stupid does not end there. The placement of the on-off volume knobs makes it super easy for your ears to accidentally get turned on while in your range bag. I cannot tell you how many times I went to use these ears at the range only to discover one or both sides were dead due to being left on. They do have a cutoff. It's when the batteries run dead.

And last grump. The knobs easily fall off the volume control. 

In short the HL is, in my experience, a better thought out product than the Peltor. As I said, both work about the same. They are perfectly serviceable when the batteries are good. However if recommending or buying another new set of ears I'd hands down suggest the Howard Leight Impact Sport since both of these sets are close in price.

• Zephyr One/Zero and chrisdivebum like this

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I don't need anger management. I need people to stop pissing me off.

flag.jpg

Peace Is A Dream Only Achieved When Good Men
Are Willing To Commit Great Violence Upon Evil Men.

#2 OFFLINE   chrisdivebum

chrisdivebum

• Member ID: 32,084

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 12:01 PM

Well I finally had enough. I was not going to run through another class with this set of Peltor electronic hearing protection.

So prior to to attending some shooting classes recently I bought a new pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ears and I am am glad I did.

To be fair both the Peltor Sport Tactical and the HL Impact Sport perform the same as far as usability, fit, clarity and sound protection. 

The real differences are in design. These features are widely different. And these differences make, in my opinion, the Howard Leight, if you'll pardon the pun, light years ahead.

The HL set is super simple. Slide off a cover, insert two AAA batteries, power on and you are good-to-go. It also features power off after 4 hours. The on-off and volume knob is recessed into the shell of one ear cup and is easy to operate but hard to accidentally turn on. That alone is enough to win over the Peltor. In short these work well. Fit well, do not interfere with shouldering an AR15 etc.

In contrast the Peltor is somewhat complicated and clumsy. The Peltor uses 4 AAA batteries. Two in each ear cup. To replace the batteries is a royal pain in the ass. You have to carefully pull off the cover with the ear cushion attached to get to the battery holders. I can see somebody tearing off the cushion trying to swap a set of batteries. You have to do this for each side as each ear cup has it's own independent mic/amp/speaker. For at least a year I just used the Peltor like a set of standard dumb ear muffs as the battery and controls issue was just a huge pain to deal with and the expectation I'd have dead batteries next range trip.

The stupid does not end there. The placement of the on-off volume knobs makes it super easy for your ears to accidentally get turned on while in your range bag. I cannot tell you how many times I went to use these ears at the range only to discover one or both sides were dead due to being left on. They do have a cutoff. It's when the batteries run dead.

And last grump. The knobs easily fall off the volume control. 

In short the HL is, in my experience, a better thought out product than the Peltor. As I said, both work about the same. They are perfectly serviceable when the batteries are good. However if recommending or buying another new set of ears I'd hands down suggest the Howard Leight Impact Sport since both of these sets are close in price.

Have the high end leight by Honeywell. Great. What's funny to me from Amazon purchase they offer a padded case for the low end, but nothing for the more expensive set. I found a padded camera case that does the trick for I think around 15.00
But love the muffs. I shoot solo so iPod jamns while shooting yet if anyone speaks to you no problem hearing them. Am a professional scuba diver & have a waterproof case just like for underwater cameras. Love my music.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

#3 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the review. 

My Peltors have recessed push buttons for the on/off and volume,

and they have an auto off feature

I can't tell you what a PIA to change the batteries in them because i have not had to yet.

My only complaint is one of the foam covers on the mic keeps falling off, because a couple of the little plastic fingers that hold it on

have broken. A little glue gun action will fix it.

I will be taking a hard look at the HL's based on your review.

I need a set for the wife,

and a set for the nephew so he can hear me when I am screaming at him to keep his effing finger off the effing trigger.

Millennials ! 

Signature:

A Vote for Trump is a vote for a liberal !

NRA Life Member

The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.

Repeal the 17th Amendment.

Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#4 OFFLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 16,628

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 12:41 PM

Got a link for the Leights?

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#5 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Member ID: 26,245

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 12:54 PM

https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

#6 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Member ID: 3,430

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 01:16 PM

I've been very happy with my Caldwell E-Max low profile muffs.

The cut-off is 85dB, they provide 23dB reduction, have an external input jack, have dual microphones for true stereo hearing, are cheaper than the Leight's, and are even available in pink to accommodate Rampy.

http://www.ebay.com/...WsAAOSwQjNW-aTv

Edited by Longhair, Aug. 12 2017 - 01:17 PM.

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vince Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

#7 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

• Member ID: 750

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 01:58 PM

MSA Sordin are the way to go for "cheap" ear pro. Much better in quality than HL and protect your hearing better.

https://www.amazon.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-Electronic/dp/B00QV33ZRK But I know people would rather buy cheap and think it works till ya can't hear. There are not cheap, but they will protect your hearing much better and be more comfortable. The Gell cups are worth their weight in gold on a long day at the range.

I run the pre Safariland group ones of these https://www.safariland.com/products/comms-and-hearing-protection/hearing-protection/electronic-hearing-protection/dehp---tcis-digital-electronic-hearing-protection-DEHP.html#sm.0001b25wseya7ejyxxj1o59u7dv19 ya I know stupid expensive and not worth is, but it is for me as I've got a large hearing loss and don't want to go deff any sooner than I am.

Yes I've got some HL's and anybody using them always wears ear plugs also, always double up, they do not cut out like the better ones, do not provide the same protection and will cost ya more in the long run if ya shoot much and use them very much.

Edited by Rampy, Aug. 12 2017 - 02:13 PM.

Signature:
In the end we're all just chalk lines on concrete only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that I'm not.

#8 OFFLINE   adamr19745

adamr19745

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,136

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for review

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

#9 OFFLINE   chrisdivebum

chrisdivebum

• Member ID: 32,084

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 02:23 PM

Amazon
2 pair available. The cheaper set has a seperate case available for purchase, but not the hi end. Can give you name of camera case I bought for mine if needed

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

#10 OFFLINE   Dark Prophit

Dark Prophit

5UK383 MA573RB83R

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 20,444

Posted Aug. 13 2017 - 04:04 AM

are you going to be using radio chat?if not go with the HLs.

Signature:
"If you are claiming you got bin Laden--you didn't do that.
Somebody else made that happen."
-A Vietnam Vet ~TaosGlock

"Before all else, be armed. " - Niccolo Machiavelli

"You know what you get for being a hero? Nothin'. You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah, blah, blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Your kids don't want to talk to you. You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me, kid, nobody wants to be that guy." - John McClane

RIP Mitch Lucker

Current bands i am listening to:
Nocturnal Bloodlust 
Dir En Grey
Day I Die

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center