I reached the tipping point.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 01:02 PM

My safe has been pretty full for a while and arranging the guns so they all fit was like a jig saw puzzle. I have about 1 cubic foot of papers and jewelry in there and all the rest is guns, gun stuff, and ammo. With my project to re-stock my 17hmr with a nice wood stock I realized I was beyond the point of no return now i my safe. Just that small amount of extra wood on the new stock won't allow my guns to fit anymore. Mind you I had to remove four long guns a few years ago and stash those elsewhere...they are air guns so no big deal. 

I pulled all this ammo out today.....and now it needs a new place to rest.

yZmg80G.jpg

I decided since my reloading bench is pretty deep I would just add it to the back wall and move everything else out 6". My under bed storage is maxed out right now with ammo and gun boxes....I have enough under the bed to feed an entire army for a day or two. With the exception of some 30-06 rounds all this stacked up is either 22 lr or pistol ammo. This is my back reserves and not in the rotation for use right now. All my current  use ammo is under the bed and organized there.

Tr5u10g.jpg?1

UeQE3Oq.jpg?1

With all the reloading stuff and my 20 practicals in front it is a pile of ammo.......that and the 200 pounds of bullets on the left has my poor desk loaded heavy.

QogsuX3.jpg?1

I have another 1000 rounds of 20p under the desk that will get stacked in front of the others when I get a chance to clean that area up. 

Now I have room in the safe for my AR's, while broken down, to fit in the left side of the safe. The door is full and the right side is full as is the top shelf stuffed with hand guns. I can fit one, maybe two, additional broke down Ar's in there so things are not cramped and all my guns are butt down again and no more jig saw puzzle in there. 

My under bed storage is down the middle with access from the foot of the bed. I have 8k of 17's in there, all my 223 factory ammo, a metric boat load of 45 acp, and a few thousand 38's too. I do believe there is another pile of 22 lr under there too in a few ammo cans.  I had to pull the mattress off today and lift out the plywood and load that area from the top. It made it easy to arrange things and move everything around where it needed to go. 

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#2 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 3,430

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 01:24 PM

:bellylaf: You remind me of me.

I've got large totes (<-plural...25gal I think) full of ammo, more full of brass, and yet more full of powder.

If the house ever catches on fire I'm going to tell the first responders to run!

• towtruck likes this

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vince Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

#3 OFFLINE   adamr19745

adamr19745

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,136

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 01:58 PM

My safe has been pretty full for a while and arranging the guns so they all fit was like a jig saw puzzle. I have about 1 cubic foot of papers and jewelry in there and all the rest is guns, gun stuff, and ammo. With my project to re-stock my 17hmr with a nice wood stock I realized I was beyond the point of no return now i my safe. Just that small amount of extra wood on the new stock won't allow my guns to fit anymore. Mind you I had to remove four long guns a few years ago and stash those elsewhere...they are air guns so no big deal. 

yZmg80G.jpg

I decided since my reloading bench is pretty deep I would just add it to the back wall and move everything else out 6". My under bed storage is maxed out right now with ammo and gun boxes....I have enough under the bed to feed an entire army for a day or two. With the exception of some 30-06 rounds all this stacked up is either 22 lr or pistol ammo. This is my back reserves and not in the rotation for use right now. All my current  use ammo is under the bed and organized there.

Tr5u10g.jpg?1

UeQE3Oq.jpg?1
With all the reloading stuff and my 20 practicals in front it is a pile of ammo.......that and the 200 pounds of bullets on the left has my poor desk loaded heavy.
QogsuX3.jpg?1

I have another 1000 rounds of 20p under the desk that will get stacked in front of the others when I get a chance to clean that area up. 

Now I have room in the safe for my AR's, while broken down, to fit in the left side of the safe. The door is full and the right side is full as is the top shelf stuffed with hand guns. I can fit one, maybe two, additional broke down Ar's in there so things are not cramped and all my guns are butt down again and no more jig saw puzzle in there. 

My under bed storage is down the middle with access from the foot of the bed. I have 8k of 17's in there, all my 223 factory ammo, a metric boat load of 45 acp, and a few thousand 38's too. I do believe there is another pile of 22 lr under there too in a few ammo cans.  I had to pull the mattress off today and lift out the plywood and load that area from the top. It made it easy to arrange things and move everything around where it needed to go. 

I have storage space

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk
  • badchad250 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   gmor

gmor

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 17,986

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 03:02 PM

You can fit extra rifles in a safe if you store half of them muzzle down.

#5 OFFLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Member ID: 25,426

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 03:23 PM

I feel your pain Towtruck. I ran out of room for guns in my safe a couple years ago. I have three or four in my closet that won't fit in the safe. Other than a couple mags of home defense ammo, I have no ammo in my safe. I have my wife's dissertation, my kids coin collections, and guns...that's it. I have a big walk in closet, that I can barely walk in because of ammo, range bags, cleaning boxes, oh, and more ammo. I have shelves in my closet made out of 1x8's and 50 caliber ammo cans. You know what's on the shelves? Yep, more ammo. I have about 9 cases of shotgun shells stacked in the back corner. I have my spam cans and cases of ammo stacked in the other back corner.
I'm dying with all this stuff that's been on sale this summer, because I can't buy any of it. I have no place to put it.
One day, my wife and I will retire to the house where her parents live now. I considered asking them if I can have a space there and start moving my ammo over there. :laugh:
So yes, I know the feeling of running out of space.
I wish I had an answer for your dilemma. If you figure it out, let me know.

Signature:

Lighten up Francis!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
A
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

gallery_25426_262_200.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 03:45 PM

You can fit extra rifles in a safe if you store half of them muzzle down.

I had done that in order to pack them in.....the ar's were broke down and tucked under other guns too.....I ran out of room even doing that :laugh:

#7 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 03:52 PM

I put my ammo in GI ammo cans

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#8 ONLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

• Member ID: 17,136

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 05:03 PM

With PSAs recent deal on the 50cal ammo cans, I took the opportunity to order 48 of them to put my overflow ammo in.  Normally I keep them in 50cal and 20mm ammo cans, but my shop shelving where I put the ammo and powder and stuff that wont fit into the cans I have is out of control.  

I am currently in the process of transferring the overflow into those ammo cans I ordered, and I am about half done.  At least the ammo cans are easier to stack up against the other wall in the basement.

It is an unorganized mess as I have been transitioning into cans, but this is what is left

5EzN1QE.jpg

On the plus side I do have 14 ammo cans completely full of .22LR bricks, 4 of them of just CCI mini mags.  Not too bad.

#9 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 05:10 PM

I had to make a reinforced floor for a closet I took over for my ammo. I used 3/4" plywood across the floor to spread the load out between all the floor joists. I then supported the shelves with 2x4's that sit on top of the plywood, run up with back bracing to 2x4 framing under the shelves. I lost a little space, but I've been able to fill that space without overloading the 3-4 floor joists under the closet, or making the sub-floor sag. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#10 OFFLINE   badchad250

badchad250

• Member ID: 32,133

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 05:28 PM

yZmg80G.jpg

Tr5u10g.jpg?1

UeQE3Oq.jpg?1
QogsuX3.jpg?1

Hey if u feel u have to much ammo or not enough space...ill send u my adress haha

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

#11 OFFLINE   badchad250

badchad250

• Member ID: 32,133

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 05:28 PM

:bellylaf: You remind me of me.
I've got large totes (<-plural...25gal I think) full of ammo, more full of brass, and yet more full of powder.
If the house ever catches on fire I'm going to tell the first responders to run!

Its been proven that a bullets that pop in a fire lack the velocity to kill...just saying

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

#12 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 05:34 PM

You sir need more ammo.....

#13 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 05:37 PM

You sir need more ammo.....

What you see is only part of what I have.....but yes, I always need more ammo  :laugh:   I do believe I have over 30k of loaded rounds.

When I got my safe I had tons of room in it so I started putting some ammo in there. Some became more and more became all it could hold. Guns started being added and room shrank.....the under bed storage was working for most of the stuff I use monthly and the stuff in the safe was all just overflow. I had/have a large amount of loaded rounds already on my reloading bench as that is where the 4k rounds of loaded 20p live. There is also 2k of 223 living there. Some day I want all my ammo in one spot locked up but that is not going to happen anytime soon. Hell, I have gun powder stashed in the coffee table in the living room my wife does not know about.....I'm out of storage for my powder and primers as well. 

#14 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 09:08 PM

I love my wife.......she saw that I cleaned out under the bed and put her area rug under there and moved my ammo around. She jumped on line and started looking for ammo storage for me......not one word about why I need so much, you have too much now....nope....just a how can I help you make room for more.  :yesss:

#15 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Member ID: 3,430

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 10:03 PM

I love my wife.......she saw that I cleaned out under the bed and put her area rug under there and moved my ammo around. She jumped on line and started looking for ammo storage for me......not one word about why I need so much, you have too much now....nope....just a how can I help you make room for more.  :yesss:

You've got a good woman!

I've also got a bunch of .223 & 300AAC in MTM ammo crates. They are a nice size (not too heavy when full) as well as being stackable.

#16 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 11:07 PM

I don't see a problem. You're about average for the guys here. Your headache shouldn't be any the less than the rest. I have 5000 rounds of 9MM setting on the back bottom 2X4 stringer on my reloading bench. My cabinet that has my fold down table I use has a bottom storage area about 15 cubic feet. It holds just my miscellaneous pistol ammunition and 10,000 rounds of 22. Who knows how many cans of M1 Garand ammo in the clips I have tucked away under my long bench. My reloading bullets are in a low cabinet six feet scross,two feet tall and 2 1/2 feet deep. Somewhere north of 50,000 pills.

I picked up an extra safe and that helps. If I move I'll get another one. Probably one of those sixty inch wide bodies. You can never have too many safes.

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#17 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

• Member ID: 20,633

Posted Aug. 12 2017 - 11:25 PM

OK I got a chuckle from this thread too.

There's one plus to my maxed out gun locker. When I open the door to remove my 1911 hiking sidearm the pressure of the other guns behind it pushes it's case right out onto the floor, ready to go. :D:

Signature:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

#18 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Aug. 13 2017 - 12:05 AM

OK I got a chuckle from this thread too.

There's one plus to my maxed out gun locker. When I open the door to remove my 1911 hiking sidearm the pressure of the other guns behind it pushes it's case right out onto the floor, ready to go. :D:

What I find funny is you have room for the case  :bellylaf: My pistols live side by side touching each other ever so gently.

#19 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

• Member ID: 750

Posted Aug. 13 2017 - 12:14 AM

I'm jealous......

Signature:
In the end we're all just chalk lines on concrete only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that I'm not.

#20 OFFLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 21,618

Posted Aug. 13 2017 - 12:41 AM

Ammo is pushing its way our of the safe as I reload more. It's thst or I store powder outside the safe. As is I want the powder in the safe if we do have a fire- buys a little more time before things go from bad to worse.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center