• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Aug. 13 2017 - 03:38 AM

https://sofrep.com/8...ely-irrelevant/

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#2 OFFLINE   SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 4,982

Contributor

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 12:07 PM

Shot placement and penetration are key.  Handguns are all about compromise of power for portability. 

I've seen this video before and it is pretty good, and I like it partly because it is by a Doc over in Seattle at the major trauma center (Harborview) near where I live. 

I think some of the key points were made near the 13 minute(ish) point where he talks about people not being knocked down by handguns, and many patients showing up walking, talking and still being quite functional.  It's kind of refreshing to hear a Surgeon explain why a cop may shoot someone multiple times with a handgun is because they just may not take notice and stop what they are doing until they are hit multiple times.  Also, the points where he talks about penetration of skin being equal to about 4" of other tissue (I think around the 20 or 21 minute mark)  and also where he talks about body dynamic in a gunfight changing angles of entry is pretty enlightening as to why the FBI insists on 12-18" of penetration in gel.  You get an arm in front of the chest and you are penetrating three layers of skin potentially along with muscle bone and any clothing.  (The  .40 caliber bullets on x-ray being stopped inside the chest cavity at the posterior chest wall and then the other bullet only making it about 2" past the sternum and stopping short of the aorta indicates why even shot placement alone may not get it done if the bullet can't get efficiently through enough tissue.

I like to point back to this video when folks begin caliber debates.  I had heard someone in a gun shop saying something to the effect that they would prefer to have a .45 ACP instead of going into combat with a "Puny 5.56 round".  I don't think these folks understand physics or physiology.

Thanks for posting this up again.  For those who haven't watched it, it can be a bit hard and maybe unnecessary to watch the stuff past the 21 minute mark because it is mostly about pre-hospital trauma care and OR interventions with fluid replacement and some anesthesia tricks to controlling BP to reduce bleeding. 

Signature:
Keep shooting till it changes shape or catches fire.

#3 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

• Member ID: 750

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 03:27 PM

This is the Doc I like, Gary K. Roberts, LCDR, USNR he is the #1 ballistics expert in American and more than possible the world......

https://ndiastorage....ntl/Roberts.pdf

Signature:
In the end we're all just chalk lines on concrete only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that I'm not.

#4 OFFLINE   SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc

• Member ID: 4,982

Contributor

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 03:34 PM

This is the Doc I like, Gary K. Roberts, LCDR, USNR he is the #1 ballistics expert in American and more than possible the world......

https://ndiastorage....ntl/Roberts.pdf

Yep, a great resource on documenting performance of just about every small arms round out there. 

#5 OFFLINE   Joel74

Joel74

You got one shot left in that shooter. Make the most of it.

• Member ID: 28,391

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 03:38 PM

This is a good video.  I posted it here several years ago. Thanks for posting again.

Signature:

I will not comply.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."- Thomas Jefferson
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

kCkMAZA.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 03:47 PM

Yep, a great resource on documenting performance of just about every small arms round out there. 

There was about 4 or 5 video segments up he was in talking about ballistics, wounding and everything he has seen and delt with, but was on youtube and a few audio chanels and now I cant find it.

He keeps most of his stuff up to date https://pistol-forum...p?19-Ammunitionand a couple other hard core SME's are there, great resource for ammo selection...about the best you will ever find.

#7 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 04:49 PM

I don't want to get shot by anything even a .22LR

#8 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 05:14 PM

I have a hard tine getting shots from a nurse.....

#9 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Member ID: 16,016

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 09:28 PM

I have a scar on the side of my left thigh from a .22. I was shot in 74 during a race riot at my high school. A few of us were about a block away when a car load of them drove by and started shooting. It was a 22 revolver, the best we could tell. We were probably 30-35 yards away.
The police questioned me at the hospital and again at home, my parents were very proud of me, NOT. But during that time no white kids were at school for probably 2 weeks. The cops cruised around around with 4 to a car, known as the big four and TMU were at the school (Tactical Mobil units )
Within 6 months we moved to the suburbs. I remember the shot and it hurting like hell, getting shot with anything sux. I'm lucky it wasn't higher up and a larger caliber.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#10 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 09:47 PM

Can I hide behind you :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I have a scar on the side of my left thigh from a .22. I was shot in 74 during a race riot at my high school. A few of us were about a block away when a car load of them drove by and started shooting. It was a 22 revolver, the best we could tell. We were probably 30-35 yards away.
The police questioned me at the hospital and again at home, my parents were very proud of me, NOT. But during that time no white kids were at school for probably 2 weeks. The cops cruised around around with 4 to a car, known as the big four and TMU were at the school (Tactical Mobil units )
Within 6 months we moved to the suburbs. I remember the shot and it hurting like hell, getting shot with anything sux. I'm lucky it wasn't higher up and a larger caliber.

#11 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Member ID: 16,016

Posted Aug. 14 2017 - 09:53 PM

Can I hide behind you :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Lol, why not Raymond did, that little chicken shat.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center