New lid and goggles ordered for this riding season

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 17,136

Posted Sep. 15 2017 - 01:46 AM

Decided that since it is starting to snow in the mountains in the lower 48, it was time to start considering upgrading to a carbon fiber helmet.  Riding a snowmobile in the mountains and the trees is hard work, and the helmets that I have are heavy - and you can feel it.  I decided to spring for a new carbon fiber helmet I have been wanting since I saw their release announcement, and a set of goggles that should go well with them.

I talked to Klim customer support today, and this new helmet in 2xl is just over 2lbs - which should make quite a difference over the older, heavier models I have now that are a couple pounds heavier.

They don't match my riding gear much, but I thought going with orange would make me a bit more visible in avalanche terrain if there were ever a slide, and I do have one orange snowmobile.

3910-000-1_0-005-1.jpg

I don't buy Klim branded goggles however, and I prefer 509 goggles, which are specifically made for snowmobilers.  This year I am going with an orange set with photochromatic lenses that go from orange to blue, depending on light conditions.  Pricey as hell though, hope they are worth it.

509-revgog-18-bf1_copy.jpg

Now I just need snow, and lots of it.

#2 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Sep. 15 2017 - 04:31 AM

Very interesting thanks.  Never been exposed to the brand. 

Costly?

Tj

#3 ONLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

Posted Sep. 15 2017 - 04:24 PM

Very interesting thanks.  Never been exposed to the brand. 

Costly?

Tj

Klim and 509 have both been beloved brands among snowmobilers, but they are branching out to street and dirt markets now.  Klim started making super durable and waterproof gear for ski patrol members, and found their market niche making very durable and high quality designs for snowmobilers.  They are based in Rigby, Idaho, and are now owned by Polaris, but their quality is second to none - however they know this and price everything accordingly.  No one else in the market at least for waterproof sno gear can come close to Klim, and most of the other brands know it.    

That helmet is competitive with other carbon fiber helmets out there, but I like their stuff because they go crazy on venting their helmets.  Mountain snowmobiling, playing in the trees and in the deep snow is exhausting work, and you sweat a lot.  They make their helmets with this in mind, giving them extra venting to help keep you cool and your goggles from fogging up.

509 is also owned by Polaris as of last year, and they also make helmets, goggles, and gear for snowmobilers, and are also branching out into dirtbikes and ATVs.  However they started as a film crew, filming mountain snowmobilers do tricks and crazy hillclimbs in the mountains, and still release their amazingly well shot videos every year.  Their goggles are amazing, but the price is way too much for what they are.  However, I wear glasses sometimes when I ride (when I run out of contacts), and those new goggles have lenses that flip up allowing you to get air over your face, and should help keep my glasses and the goggles from fogging.  I begrudgingly paid their price for that feature, but we will see if it really helps this year.

I am just glad to have a helmet that is 2.5lbs lighter than the one I currently use.  Last year I had an issue with my neck and the weight was agony the couple times I went riding.  

• JohnGaltOU812 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

• Member ID: 20,633

Posted Sep. 15 2017 - 05:21 PM

$500 from Dennis Kirk

Signature:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

#5 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Grumpy Old Women

• Member ID: 750

Posted Sep. 15 2017 - 05:41 PM

Snowed up in the hills last night in the N/W part of the state....

Looks cool......

Signature:
In the end we're all just chalk lines on concrete only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that I'm not.

#6 ONLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

Posted Sep. 15 2017 - 06:03 PM

Snowed up in the hills last night in the N/W part of the state....

Looks cool......

I know, I have been seeing snow updates on some facebook snowmobile groups all week, prompting me to upgrade the helmet now. I could potentially be riding in October sometime, if only road rides. Some friends in Utah and Montana were riding in September last year.

#7 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

• Member ID: 7,742

Posted Sep. 15 2017 - 06:45 PM

I've got a set of 509 aviator goggles, and one of their helmets.  They fit together very nicely and visibility is pretty awesome.

I didn't go for the photochromatic lenses since I'm going to scratch them up scraping ice while trail riding.  Didn't want to wreck the spendy lenses!

#8 ONLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

Posted Sep. 15 2017 - 07:29 PM

I've got a set of 509 aviator goggles, and one of their helmets.  They fit together very nicely and visibility is pretty awesome.

I didn't go for the photochromatic lenses since I'm going to scratch them up scraping ice while trail riding.  Didn't want to wreck the spendy lenses!

I have a 509 altitude helmet that I like, and a few pairs of aviators in various degrees of disrepair, but they are all awesome. I mostly went klim this time due to the venting, and all the cool
Colors of the 509 carbon fiber helmet being out of stock. Trying on a carbon fiber will ruin you though, the missing two pounds is very noticeable.

#9 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 16,016

Posted Sep. 15 2017 - 08:22 PM

I have a 509 altitude helmet that I like, and a few pairs of aviators in various degrees of disrepair, but they are all awesome. I mostly went klim this time due to the venting, and all the cool
Colors of the 509 carbon fiber helmet being out of stock. Trying on a carbon fiber will ruin you though, the missing two pounds is very noticeable.

That's why my motorcycle helmet weighs about 14-16 oz. Grant you my head will crack about as fast as the helmet but since the accident my neck cannot take much weight at all.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#10 OFFLINE   robton62

robton62

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 32,167

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 10:01 PM

Have a 509 sinister goggles for 3 years now and have no major problems with it. It is just a bit PITA to change the lens.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center