AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

Any of you guys do project cars/rebuilds?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

Professional Elephant Shat Catcher.

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 41

Posted Oct. 11 2017 - 10:17 AM

Been thinking a good car project that could take me years(or even a lifetime) would be good for me.  Always have something to work on.  And not just buying more and more ARs :lol:

Doesn't help that my brother just found a steal on a mustang('99, but hey, its got a rare 3.8 liter V6 engine.).

So I've been looking for something both affordable and still classy.

Been looking at first gen Toyota Celicas.

They almost look like smaller camaros.

The old toyota body scares me, but just found one for $1K down in Dallas.

Thinking of getting a local service to inspect it.

Not sure how close to Dallas it is, so I have a few concerns over flooding damage, but the thing doesn't look half bad.

Needs to be completely stripped, but engine should be able to get running(not siezed up per the ad) or worst case replace it with something a little newer and more powerful....

Dash is good, seats need to be replaced.... 

Could go for a really bad-ass mad max style look....

27%2B-%2BMadMaxDeathProof%2BCelica.jpg

Signature:

worshipsig1.gif

"There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men."

- Sgt Zim - Starship Troopers

"I'm the itch you can't scratch! The gas you can't pass!"

- Jack Stiles

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

-H. L. Mencken

FUAC

#2 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Oct. 11 2017 - 11:44 AM

Why don't you just pick one Armory member a month and send them 500 bucks cash. You will make great friends and if you do it for ten years you will still be money ahead over fixing up a car.

I'm one to talk as I did three cars for myself from the ground up, three tractors, two complete cars for others and a few other tractors as well. I spent about five hours a day for ten years working on cars from engines and drive trains to body and paint. The only thing I did not do was upholstery.  It can be fun if you have the tools and the know how. If you don't have welders, grinders, painting equipment, of the heavy lifting tools you will not get far on your own.

Also the work you do today may end up being rotten by the time you get around to finishing the project. Tires, gaskets, seals, weatherstrips, and other do-dads don't like sitting around. 

Something you could do as a long project is build a trailer. Whether  for camping or hauling crap the possibilities are endless and with a little imagination you could make a pretty cool trailer like this...https://www.pinteres...57090444313372/

No engine to mess with and you can move and store it so much easier.

• devil duck and Bentwrench like this

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#3 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 16,016

Posted Oct. 11 2017 - 11:50 AM

Everything I own is always in a state of "project" well except the wife's Cherokee. I have only added a couple of purpose items but nothing special.
I have a small fortune in the truck, Jeep and soon to be the "87" Ram. It is a two wheel drive that is being prepped for a big block.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#4 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Oct. 11 2017 - 12:00 PM

I turn wrenches for fun on Jeeps and my wife's pickup. They're all projects, in some level of completion. 

I would say that unless you have some experience doing your own mechanical work, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle. The experience gained from doing your own work and being a "car guy" is invaluable. Right now you don't know what you don't know. 

• devil duck likes this

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#5 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Oct. 11 2017 - 12:05 PM

Why don't you just pick one Armory member a month and send them 500 bucks cash. You will make great friends and if you do it for ten years you will still be money ahead over fixing up a car.

Lol, you are so right. It's kinda like remodeling a house.
1- Set budget
2- Make a plan
3- Material list
4- Buy everything you need
5- Revise plan
6- Increase budget by 25%
7- Buy more material
8- Review plan because of unforseen issues
9- Increase budget by another 25%
10- Buy new window from hole where hammer went through
11- Apologize to wife for the mess for 3 months now

Now add a few years to the time line for anything automotive. As far as budget, don't even think of having one. You won't be able to follow it anyways. But it is at least double of your most exaggerated thought.
Good luck sir.

#6 ONLINE   smb5769

smb5769

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 12,498

Posted Oct. 11 2017 - 02:49 PM

I guess I do. I have a 05 Cavalier, a 07 Outlook, both currently running, and a 05 G35....which is currently the project. Dang transmission code, either the solenoid or TCM is toast. I'm hoping I can change the noid. Otherwise that will be 1200 or better for the TCM and VB assembly. Hoping and praying that is all that's wrong. Anyone know how to keep valve body ports clean when you drop it from a transmission? It just magically accumulated some lint floating around yesterday after I dropped it out, so I panicked and threw it in a trash bag. Update: Found the broken contact. Evidently it's quite common to break there. I am gonna solder that puppy back together and keep my fingers crossed!

Edited by smb5769, Oct. 11 2017 - 07:29 PM.

Signature:
The liberties of our country, the freedoms of our civil Constitution are worth defending at all hazards; it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors. They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring a mark of everlasting infamy on the present generation enlightened as it is if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of designing men.
Samuel Adams

#7 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Member ID: 33

Posted Oct. 11 2017 - 09:21 PM

You could help me out on my car. I could always use money to help run the car.

3cEDE87.jpg

Z4oTJxA.jpg

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#8 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Oct. 11 2017 - 09:36 PM

You could help me out on my car. I could always use money to help run the car.

3cEDE87.jpg

Z4oTJxA.jpg

LOVE THAT COVER ON THE SCOOP. Im sure the wife probably agrees.

Edited by devil duck, Oct. 12 2017 - 06:56 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Member ID: 33

Posted Oct. 11 2017 - 10:00 PM

LOVE THAT COVER ON THE SCOOP. If sure the wife probably agrees.

I think we named the car correctly. She takes all my time and money. Gets anything she needs.

• devil duck likes this

#10 OFFLINE   alpo

alpo

• Member ID: 135

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 06:54 AM

I have built cars and motors but nothing that new.

Signature:

NRA LIFE MEMBER

gallery_135_65_1073.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 07:00 AM

Well my prospective car sold already... back to the hunt.

I know project cars are pricey, but as I am sure many of you know, its not just about the car and the money, its about a distraction.  A project where you can see progress or feel heartbreak.

I have quite a few gun projects always running in tandem.  Most are stalled right now due to being in storage, but they are all small projects that are completed as money allows and usually pretty quick.

I'm looking for something long term.  I can't see doing more than $200 or so a month on it.  Some months will be nothing but saving for parts.

But I have a brother who is a mechanic and a cousin who is not but had fully rebuilt several cars and replaced engines because why not...

I also have the desire to learn.

I'm about ready to swear off new cars with their black boxes and auto tracking, gas peddle learning, bullcrap!

Heck, down in florida/texas, when the hurricanes were coming through, Elon Musk, owner of the Tesla cars, pushed out an update to all the base model cars.  The update increased the cars' range.  Think about that a minute....

Its like a limiter or restricter plate in a car, but even though you own the car, you can't take it off yourself.  Do you even really own the thing if he can push updates any time he wants??  

#12 OFFLINE   prof_fate

prof_fate

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 31,812

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 10:49 AM

friend bought a running 68 camaro..wanted to change the color...one thing after another and $40,000 later he has a car-show winning beauty. Took 16 months of many many hours a week.

He's happy, wife is happy.

If you have interest time and money, go for it.

MY life..well, too much shat gets in the way and what should take 2 hours takes 4..

I have a boat, 4 years now, waiting on me..$400-800 is all the investment needed..well, that and a crap load of hours.

#13 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 11:27 AM

I'm one to talk as I did three cars for myself from the ground up, three tractors, two complete cars for others and a few other tractors as well. I spent about five hours a day for ten years working on cars from engines and drive trains to body and paint. The only thing I did not do was upholstery.  It can be fun if you have the tools and the know how. If you don't have welders, grinders, painting equipment, of the heavy lifting tools you will not get far on your own.

Also the work you do today may end up being rotten by the time you get around to finishing the project. Tires, gaskets, seals, weatherstrips, and other do-dads don't like sitting around. 

Something you could do as a long project is build a trailer. Whether  for camping or hauling crap the possibilities are endless and with a little imagination you could make a pretty cool trailer like this...https://www.pinteres...57090444313372/

No engine to mess with and you can move and store it so much easier.

Oh damn, you sound as bad as me. 

We did the Car Show circuit for about ten years.  Had two cars, a 1973 Charger we restored and showed and a 1969 Charger in mid-restoration.  I just paid the dealer $605 to do brakes on my daily driver a job I use to do for fun and could do in less than an hour.

I won't tell you it wasn't fun at the time but it'll damn sure wear on you.   Its like playing music.  Everyone wants to be a rock star until you play so many venues all that fun becomes work. 

Tj

#14 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 01:07 PM

Oh damn, you sound as bad as me. 

We did the Car Show circuit for about ten years.  Had two cars, a 1973 Charger we restored and showed and a 1969 Charger in mid-restoration.  I just paid the dealer $605 to do brakes on my daily driver a job I use to do for fun and could do in less than an hour.

I won't tell you it wasn't fun at the time but it'll damn sure wear on you.   Its like playing music.  Everyone wants to be a rock star until you play so many venues all that fun becomes work. 

Tj

I think that happens to everyone though.  Take something you love, make it a career, and you'll hate it...

#15 ONLINE   smb5769

smb5769

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 12,498

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 01:50 PM

This is evidently a common Nissan RE5R05A problem. The service manual fix is replace the valve body/TCM unit, at about 1200 bucks not counting labor and probably a TCM reflash. This is my fix. A bit of solder and a small piece of wire wrapped over the break. I hope this works.5d2f748a51e057186e52a4864a3b5b5c.jpgd8e8004eda8b390b0120da0b91a312f9.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#16 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Contributor

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 02:02 PM

I think that happens to everyone though.  Take something you love, make it a career, and you'll hate it...

We were bad, especially my wife.  She'd go shopping in performance parts stores.  "Look what I bought you today, cast aluminum Mopar performance valve covers." :laugh:

This I can tell you, if you don't like the hunt and seek in building cars, you are missing half the fun.  Finding just the right part is half the battle and it can either be a high or a major downer.  Its a matter of you glass being half empty or full type of thing.  I still remember the highs like finding factory original taillights for a 69 Charger at a Car Show Swap Meat for $50, buying a roof liner on sale for $80, things like that.  Its the same with figuring out what works things.  Oh man, that new electronic ignition sure made a difference.   My 73' was a Show Car.  We were allowed two modifications from factory original.  That's that you can see so that still left a lot of room but it meant more hunt and find than 'Modified" class.  Modified, you could go to the performance parts store and go bankrupt buying crap.  Both are just like owning a Harley.  You keep buying stuff and buying stuff. something that makes it run better here and something that makes it look better there. 

You can go off the deep end real easy.  My BIL drag races.  He went from building and running cars to buying a big RV and his own dyno.  Now he's a parts distributor, renting out his dyno, and I totally expect machining next and his own performance garage.  Its become a way of life for him, which fine, great.  My problem is, I already have too many of those.  I can't keep up with what I have. 

What you end up doing, like it or not, is you try different things and see which one sticks.  The pitfall is the "Money Trap".  That's one that you can't back out because you have so much in it but you kind of want to.  Cars are real easy to be "Money Traps" as easy as boats even.  I can't begin to tell you the guys I've known to sell cars for less than they have in the engines and don't even think about counting labor.  Labor is an act of love.  That's the point though.  If you enjoy that.  Its a hell of a lot of fun.

Tj

#17 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 03:50 PM

$200 a month? Holy crap I wish it was that cheap. Every time I walk into O'Reilly's, I spend well over $200. Let's just hit the high points. You want say, a fuel pump, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, oil change stuff, and say, an alternator. You're well into the $250 range, and you're only looking at an afternoon's work, if you know how to turn wrenches. I probably spend $250 a month just on maintenance and doing the piddly stuff 2-3 days a month. If I was trying to work on weekends and evenings every day, I'd be running out of stuff to do, as I'd be out of money. 

Something else to consider, you're going to be wasting a good chunk of your money. Not intentionally, but you're going to buy wrong stuff, or stuff you don't need, or stuff that just doesn't work. You're going to muck up the first few jobs you do, other than teardown, and if you do some teardown wrong, you're going to cost yourself a pile of money. For example, let's use one of my early screwups. I was tearing down the interior of a 1972 Chevrolet pickup. It was a Cheyenne Special, with the most deluxe interior you could get at the time. I did all right pulling most stuff, but wound up trying to pull the headliner panel. It's surround was made of chromed plastic, and it looked simple enough, with screws holding it in. I pulled the screws, and it was still tight. Thinking it must be rust or schmoo holding it on, I started prying it. I broke the shat out of it, as it also had tabs that stuck up into the first layer of sheet metal that helped to hold it up. That doo-dad wasn't reproduced at the time, so I had to buy an original. $340, just because of some ham-handedness that was borne of ignorance. I didn't know what I didn't know. Of course, I didn't learn from that, I wound up making similar mistakes later that cost me, though none as painful as that first one. Now I'm a fair shade tree mechanic. I'm not anything special, and certainly not an expert. But I've got just enough experience now to know what I don't know, and know when to slow down, and sometimes stop, and then take it to a professional. 

In short, I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying, be ready. Double or triple your planned expenditures. Realize that at first, it's not going to be stress relief, it's going to add stress when you don't get the result you want. Good luck bud. 

#18 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Member ID: 22,192

Posted Oct. 15 2017 - 07:29 PM

We were bad, especially my wife.  She'd go shopping in performance parts stores.  "Look what I bought you today, cast aluminum Mopar performance valve covers." :laugh:

This I can tell you, if you don't like the hunt and seek in building cars, you are missing half the fun.  Finding just the right part is half the battle and it can either be a high or a major downer.  Its a matter of you glass being half empty or full type of thing.  I still remember the highs like finding factory original taillights for a 69 Charger at a Car Show Swap Meat for $50, buying a roof liner on sale for $80, things like that.  Its the same with figuring out what works things.  Oh man, that new electronic ignition sure made a difference.   My 73' was a Show Car.  We were allowed two modifications from factory original.  That's that you can see so that still left a lot of room but it meant more hunt and find than 'Modified" class.  Modified, you could go to the performance parts store and go bankrupt buying crap.  Both are just like owning a Harley.  You keep buying stuff and buying stuff. something that makes it run better here and something that makes it look better there. 

You can go off the deep end real easy.  My BIL drag races.  He went from building and running cars to buying a big RV and his own dyno.  Now he's a parts distributor, renting out his dyno, and I totally expect machining next and his own performance garage.  Its become a way of life for him, which fine, great.  My problem is, I already have too many of those.  I can't keep up with what I have. 

What you end up doing, like it or not, is you try different things and see which one sticks.  The pitfall is the "Money Trap".  That's one that you can't back out because you have so much in it but you kind of want to.  Cars are real easy to be "Money Traps" as easy as boats even.  I can't begin to tell you the guys I've known to sell cars for less than they have in the engines and don't even think about counting labor.  Labor is an act of love.  That's the point though.  If you enjoy that.  Its a hell of a lot of fun.

Tj

I never had much patience waiting for the right part at the swap meet. It's how I ended up with whole vehicles as parts cars. I had a guy try and tell me a stock front axle for a Model A was worth $200. He said the wish bone was worth $120 by itself.  I laughed at him. I beat him around a swap meet and bought three complete front axles with hubs and brakes and bought two wishbones with those axles that already had wishbones on them.....paid $100 bucks for all of it. Mr. those are worth $200 each approaches me on the way out and is pissed I bought them all. I did buy them all just to piss him off too. He wanted me to sell him one of the complete front axles and I told him $200. he says to me  " I know what you paid for all of that and your price is too high".....I told him take it or leave it and he walked.

Another old fart had a frame I wanted and another front axle that was bent. He wanted $800 for all of it......about $700 too much in my book. I agreed to go look at it and I brought out my frame checker tools and showed him the frame was bent two different ways (all of them are bent like that after that many years on the rough roads).. I tried to talk him g=down and he got belligerent.  I really needed a frame at the time so I decided to offer him $600 for it all......he reluctantly said yes so I dug out the check book and he says "no checks"..... I looked him straight in the eye and told him to have a nice day and never looked back. Two weeks later I bought a complete rolling chassis with engine, trans, wheels and tires for $100. Another week goes buy and the old fart calls me and says he will take my check.....I laughed and told him no thanks as I just bought a complete chassis for $100....too late so sad for you. 

I have pieced together doors from five different doors, cab backs from three different cabs, and mixed and matched so many parts it's not funny. When your building cars you end up with a yard full just to make it work out. Then all the people know you are into them and offer you all their old parts and before you know it you have 10,000 lbs of cars and parts in your yard and shop. With cars it's all in or nothing and it hurts to get rid of some of it but when your done your done and want it gone.

It's why I say to build a cool trailer instead. Fab the whole thing up yourself and make it cool. You can let it sit if needed and just do a little work each month and not lose your shirt if you need to let it all go. With the cars I built I always got my cash back out of them but ate the labor......and the labor equals the receipts and them some. My number one rule for car or tractor projects was it had to run.......if it did not run it was off the list. Now, my old model A's were all built from non running heaps of rust but those were different as I had everything to make them go already in hand. Tractors were a must that they needed to run. My first tractor was a small track layer that my neighbors dad had for sale. It ran but barely....I went over to get it running and I had it running so well I just drove it the two blocks home.....the crawler tracks led right to my house from his.....quite funny to see. That tractor led to two parts tractors and then that tractor bought my first Model A and the addiction started. 

Capt.   if you start down the road of building a car just know it's not like anything else...you will end up up to your neck real fast and the money you spend will never be returned unless you are working on a car that is of high value......I know a guy who just paid $8000 for a shell of a body of a 67 Chevy car.......you won't be building one of those without a $40k budget. 

Build a trailer  :laugh:  you will thank me later.

#19 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

Posted Oct. 17 2017 - 11:51 AM

I fondly recall being accused of having the patience level of a spider monkey on crack back in the pre-ban.com days.

And that was not untrue.

But since I sold my house, and am now pretty darn flush, I live by my budget.  I have set amounts going into separate accounts every payday.  The biggest one is a land/moving fund.  Then there is the car savings, the gun parts, and the other hobbies funds.  Each gets soem money from every paycheck.  

Heck, I even have a separate stash for "emergency hot deals"  But still didn't have enough in it to afford the belt fed Ares a few months back.... so, no dice....

Point is, I don't mind it sitting there for a year as I save up for an engine or whatever.

#20 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Contributor

Posted Oct. 17 2017 - 02:14 PM

I never had much patience waiting for the right part at the swap meet. It's how I ended up with whole vehicles as parts cars. I had a guy try and tell me a stock front axle for a Model A was worth $200. He said the wish bone was worth $120 by itself.  I laughed at him. I beat him around a swap meet and bought three complete front axles with hubs and brakes and bought two wishbones with those axles that already had wishbones on them.....paid $100 bucks for all of it. Mr. those are worth $200 each approaches me on the way out and is pissed I bought them all. I did buy them all just to piss him off too. He wanted me to sell him one of the complete front axles and I told him $200. he says to me  " I know what you paid for all of that and your price is too high".....I told him take it or leave it and he walked.

Another old fart had a frame I wanted and another front axle that was bent. He wanted $800 for all of it......about $700 too much in my book. I agreed to go look at it and I brought out my frame checker tools and showed him the frame was bent two different ways (all of them are bent like that after that many years on the rough roads).. I tried to talk him g=down and he got belligerent.  I really needed a frame at the time so I decided to offer him $600 for it all......he reluctantly said yes so I dug out the check book and he says "no checks"..... I looked him straight in the eye and told him to have a nice day and never looked back. Two weeks later I bought a complete rolling chassis with engine, trans, wheels and tires for $100. Another week goes buy and the old fart calls me and says he will take my check.....I laughed and told him no thanks as I just bought a complete chassis for $100....too late so sad for you. 

I have pieced together doors from five different doors, cab backs from three different cabs, and mixed and matched so many parts it's not funny. When your building cars you end up with a yard full just to make it work out. Then all the people know you are into them and offer you all their old parts and before you know it you have 10,000 lbs of cars and parts in your yard and shop. With cars it's all in or nothing and it hurts to get rid of some of it but when your done your done and want it gone.

It's why I say to build a cool trailer instead. Fab the whole thing up yourself and make it cool. You can let it sit if needed and just do a little work each month and not lose your shirt if you need to let it all go. With the cars I built I always got my cash back out of them but ate the labor......and the labor equals the receipts and them some. My number one rule for car or tractor projects was it had to run.......if it did not run it was off the list. Now, my old model A's were all built from non running heaps of rust but those were different as I had everything to make them go already in hand. Tractors were a must that they needed to run. My first tractor was a small track layer that my neighbors dad had for sale. It ran but barely....I went over to get it running and I had it running so well I just drove it the two blocks home.....the crawler tracks led right to my house from his.....quite funny to see. That tractor led to two parts tractors and then that tractor bought my first Model A and the addiction started. 

Capt.   if you start down the road of building a car just know it's not like anything else...you will end up up to your neck real fast and the money you spend will never be returned unless you are working on a car that is of high value......I know a guy who just paid $8000 for a shell of a body of a 67 Chevy car.......you won't be building one of those without a $40k budget. 

Build a trailer  :laugh:  you will thank me later.

Oh man, that made me laugh, especially the parts part.  When I sold my 69 Charger, I had a built 318 in the car, a 440 hypo on the engine stand and torquefilght sitting on my garage floor with intakes, carbs, ignitions, I can't name all the parts, bins of them.  Worse, when I sold it, I had already done the front end the suck work. I use to frequent every junk yard in E. TN.  I use to marvel at my finds.  At one time I knew where there was a 68 Charger R/T body and frame just sitting under a tree.  It even had that can't replace it rear window in tact.  That was it though, total restore.  Though one of only 500 plus cars and a hell of an upside, man, I didn't have the money to throw at that one.  I was having a hell of a time with that 69 let alone a total stripped rebuild.

When i sold it, I boxed everything into those bins and sold it all in one fail swoop.  By that time, I had no Earthly idea how much I had in all that stuff.  It was enough my buddy turned right around and resold it all making a couple thousand.  He screwed up though.  He kept building on of those late 70's boat Camaro's. 

I fondly recall being accused of having the patience level of a spider monkey on crack back in the pre-ban.com days.

And that was not untrue.

But since I sold my house, and am now pretty darn flush, I live by my budget.  I have set amounts going into separate accounts every payday.  The biggest one is a land/moving fund.  Then there is the car savings, the gun parts, and the other hobbies funds.  Each gets soem money from every paycheck.  

Heck, I even have a separate stash for "emergency hot deals"  But still didn't have enough in it to afford the belt fed Ares a few months back.... so, no dice....

Point is, I don't mind it sitting there for a year as I save up for an engine or whatever.

Well one thing about it, you are never lacking something to do.  Its really not like waiting around till the part comes in unless its the last part.  Its just you don't get to pick what you work on sometimes.  There's always something to work on and not enough hours in the day.

On a budget, the only thing that stops you is you and that hours thing. 

One thing fun about my ten years in the Show Car circuit wasn't "Oh wow, nice car".  Hell, I get that with the vehicles I drive everyday even today.  Its the talking to the other guys and just like this thread, the stories of what they went through.  Its all about the building it.  

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center