Upper Lapping Tools, any recommendations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 18,501

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 09:59 PM

Wheeler, Stoner, Brownells? Whos lapping tool have you had the best success? Ive seen great reviews for the Wheeler and Ive seen a few for the same product that would make even the most seasoned hobbiest run for the hills. I do like the flexible bit as it would appear to eliminate undue pressure on soft aluminum. What grit lapping compound do you have the best results. Lap, look, lap some more, and stop as soon as all of the finish is uniformly removed from the face of the Upper. With the Wheeler kits 200 grit compound, is that too aggressiveness for an aluminum Upper or is it sufficient for the job? Im not going to lapping a ton of uppers. Only one for starters, but I would like to select a serviceable tool just in case I get the bug to build another...

Edited by ewallover, Oct. 12 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 10:18 PM

I have the wheeler and it does just fine. Honestly if I were you and was going to do a bunch of receivers I would come up with a way to do it without the lapping compound. It gets inside the receiver no matter how hard you try to keep it out. 

I had a couple of ideas but never did anything with them as I don't really do it enough to make it worthwhile. 

It wouldn't take much work machine tool wise to make it work and would be good practice. My one idea used sheets of wet dry sandpaper so if you really wanted you could do something coarser or finer than 220 grit. Though in my experience 220 is about the right compromise between material removal and resulting finish.

• ewallover likes this

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#3 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 10:42 PM

Thanks. I was planning on flushing the stuff out with isopropyl alcohol, drying and re-oiling or greasing any areas that need lubricant. I’ve treated the threads with choak tube high heat grease and have been running the barrel nut on and off the work any miling residue in the threads before I mount the new barrel.

#4 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Oct. 12 2017 - 11:58 PM

I don't think it makes much difference. I got mine from Brownells

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#5 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Oct. 13 2017 - 06:53 AM

The only reason I asked is that the Wheeler has (on occasion) not been properly machined to insure that its centered. But like I said, the vast majority of the reviews have been highly positive. Looking for a quality tool to do the job correctly.

Edited by ewallover, Oct. 13 2017 - 06:54 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Oct. 13 2017 - 10:01 AM

PT&G lapping tool.

https://www.brownell...-prod20220.aspx

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center