Starline 6.8 Brass; initial thoughts

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 18,501

Posted Dec. 31 2017 - 10:30 AM

The Brown truck dropped off a box last night. I purchased 500 pieces of Starline 6.8 brass to feed both my 6.8 and the new 6x6.8 build. First impressions are quite good. At $.37/case I just couldnt pass up the Starline deal and with free shipping, well a late Christmas present for me. The brass shipped bagged and packed in a box that was right sized to avoid banging around in transit. The brass appeared uniforn in color and polish and the look of new polished brass is good thing. Did not see any damaged case mouths and the flash holes were dead center and uniform in all of the cases I examined. Case mouths were neat and when reburred should be dead solid perfect.

I did not measure anything as of yet but the brass looks great and once I start developing and firing loads, the case volumes should expand to the chamber in Ritchs 6x6.8 Barrel and my Stag 7ML. I think I have plenty to tackle an American 30 too. Ill sort through my other 6.8 brass and may just load it up for plinking and save the Starline for hunting and accuracy shooting. Im well pleased with the purchase. Ill update once I start resizing.

#2 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 29,276

Posted Dec. 31 2017 - 11:18 AM

I like the starline 6.8 SPC brass.

So far I have shot it straight 6.8 SPC and converted some to 30 Herrett AR.

The only down side on the Starline 6.8 SPC brass is it has the lowest case volume of all the 6.8 SPC I have tested.

Most of the weight is in the case web. They also did something different with the webbing. It is terraced down to the flash hole.

HEWtVsT.jpg

No need to ream the flash holes with the Starline brass.

R5fXRcu.jpg

Federal, left. Starline, center. SSA, right.

Walls of the webbing the thickest of the group. 

If you have loaded Federal brass, that is a good reference for starting loads.

Of course with a change of any component, start low and work up your loads.

Enjoy the new brass.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Flesh Wound likes this

Signature:

Turning 5.56X45 mm brass into 6X45 mm brass one case at a time since April 2014.

6.8 SPC II, That's .270 Lite for those of us in the real world. 

M1A Socom 16; Its bark blows minds, its bite is even worst! 

30 Herrett AR; I know, 7.62X39 is cheaper... But I already had the 6.8 SPC brass and bolts.

8DjqgGE.png

#3 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted Dec. 31 2017 - 11:44 AM

The Brown truck dropped off a box last night. I purchased 500 pieces of Starline 6.8 brass to feed both my 6.8 and the new 6x6.8 build. First impressions are quite good. At $.37/case I just couldnt pass up the Starline deal and with free shipping, well a late Christmas present for me. The brass shipped bagged and packed in a box that was right sized to avoid banging around in transit. The brass appeared uniforn in color and polish and the look of new polished brass is good thing. Did not see any damaged case mouths and the flash holes were dead center and uniform in all of the cases I examined. Case mouths were neat and when reburred should be dead solid perfect.

I did not measure anything as of yet but the brass looks great and once I start developing and firing loads, the case volumes should expand to the chamber in Ritchs 6x6.8 Barrel and my Stag 7ML. I think I have plenty to tackle an American 30 too. Ill sort through my other 6.8 brass and may just load it up for plinking and save the Starline for hunting and accuracy shooting. Im well pleased with the purchase. Ill update once I start resizing.

That's awesome! I'm pretty excited with all the positive reviews I've read about the Starline brass!

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#4 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Dec. 31 2017 - 11:45 AM

I like the starline 6.8 SPC brass.
So far I have shot it straight 6.8 SPC and converted some to 30 Herrett AR.
The only down side on the Starline 6.8 SPC brass is it has the lowest case volume of all the 6.8 SPC I have tested.
Most of the weight is in the case web. They also did something different with the webbing. It is terraced down to the flash hole.

HEWtVsT.jpg
No need to ream the flash holes with the Starline brass.

R5fXRcu.jpg
Federal, left. Starline, center. SSA, right.

Walls of the webbing the thickest of the group. 
If you have loaded Federal brass, that is a good reference for starting loads.
Of course with a change of any component, start low and work up your loads.
Enjoy the new brass.

Thanks,
Glenn

Excellent presentation Glenn! You never cease to impress me!
  • geepee3 likes this

#5 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Dec. 31 2017 - 01:23 PM

Thanks Glenn...

#6 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Dec. 31 2017 - 01:54 PM

What has been your experience regarding case capacity increases after the initial firing, or does full length resizing simply take everything back the Starline original capacities. Is the decrease in velocity significantly impacted by the lower case volume? My focus is accuracy first, speed second. I am hopeful that bullet selection (weight) can be carefully managed to create an effective deer/antelope round with sufficient speed to reach out 400-600 yards. Back east it’s 200 yards tops... Greg has provided a lot of information to dig through. Once my bullet seating gauge gets here I should be able to get started. I hope to find some time to resize some of the Starline brass tomorrow afternoon.

#7 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Dec. 31 2017 - 10:05 PM

The case capacity will decrease slightly after resizing, but I'm not convinced it'd be enough to see on paper.

#8 OFFLINE   Chris645

Chris645

• Member ID: 32,311

Posted Jan. 06 2018 - 09:56 PM

I purchase Starline exclusively.  Good brass.  Good Service.  Good delivery.  Great people to deal with.  Every caliber I load for that they make brass for is loaded with Starline brass.

• ewallover likes this

Signature:

Chris

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member

Gadsden_clr.gif

#9 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted Jan. 06 2018 - 09:56 PM

Ritch just shot a small sample. It was showing swipes and rim damage. He shot one round through a suppressed 6X6.8 and destroyed the rim. Old SSA showed nothing. I'll try and get some pictures.

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#10 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Member ID: 26,245

Posted Jan. 06 2018 - 11:04 PM

Ritch just shot a small sample. It was showing swipes and rim damage. He shot one round through a suppressed 6X6.8 and destroyed the rim. Old SSA showed nothing. I'll try and get some pictures.

Greg

Well dang. Please provide more info if you get any updates.

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I don't need anger management. I need people to stop pissing me off.

flag.jpg

Peace Is A Dream Only Achieved When Good Men
Are Willing To Commit Great Violence Upon Evil Men.

#11 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Jan. 06 2018 - 11:13 PM

I wont be shooting suppressed with this rifle or my dedicated 6.8. Id like to know how hot those rounds were, what powder, charge, etc. Starline has had a good reputation and far more good reviews than bad. Im not planning to push any envelopes regarding MV, its repeatable accuracy Im hoping to achieve and a cartridge effective to 500-600 yards. (The longest range here in Central PA Ive found.). I sure as the devil hope that the Starline brass Ive just purchased is not defective.

Edited by ewallover, Jan. 06 2018 - 11:15 PM.

#12 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jan. 07 2018 - 12:03 AM

30.5 of H322 58 VMAX. Pretty standard load but what was disturbing it even messed up a rim that loaded after the shot and was extracted by hand.

If it's pressuring up this quick then charge weights will have to be drastically reduced. If I had some to shoot I'd do some basic 6.8 stuff per the book to see. If it's too small lots of disappointment is coming down the pike and all the hot rodder SPC II guys are in for some very loose pockets IMO.

Greg

#13 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Jan. 07 2018 - 12:56 AM

I’d like to forward this thread to Starline. I may try to reach them next week if work doesn’t intervene.

#14 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jan. 07 2018 - 04:03 PM

I responded earlier on my phone but the Ethernet ate it. Oh well.

Why would you contact them over such a tiny sample of less than 10 rounds? They will want specifics and the second you mention wildcat 6X6.8 without any industry standard you will be told that it's 6.8 brass and that's all they care about. They will also be less than interested when you do the thing that drives me nuts and that is " I heard and I think." If you don't have direct hands on experience  with the subject your talking point strength goes way down.

For all we know this may be an anomaly to this rifle. Looking at several factors that come into play. Howe much over-gassed was it with the suppressor, although other brass brands do not do this?  Is the case capacity in play that much? Three of us have shot up to 31.7 of H322 and this bullet in SSA and FC brass without any issues at all. No swipes or tears. Is the chamber nice and slick? Could the case be adhering a bit much do to over-gas? 

I would want a sample of this to shoot in a straight 6.8 as intended before I make much of it. I can say that the rim thickness, and this IS a factor, is about 0.012 thinner as best as we can measure. That is a huge difference of approximately 15% or so compared to SSA. Unsuppressed that same load was not as violent on the brass though it did show swiping.  An adjustable block might tune this out but that won't save primer pockets for longevity.

If you want to speak to Starline authoritatively you might want go load up a dozen rounds and shoot some. The cases aren't going to fail and blow anything up.That will give your contact far more credibility.  As I stated earlier if the volume is that much smaller and the brass is much softer than normal, more so than even Federal, with these thin rims this is not going to turn out good for the consumers. Also as I pointed out this might be an anomaly. I think more testing needs to be done before we do the Chicken Little thing.

Here's a picture of the rim from the suppressed round:

mIuOcHK.jpg

Greg

#15 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Member ID: 26,245

Posted Jan. 07 2018 - 04:13 PM

Oh that's ugly.

If somebody wants to send me some Starline brass I'll be happy to load it for 6.8 and test. I don't yet have my 6 x 6.8 barrel to test with yet.

#16 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jan. 07 2018 - 04:18 PM

Oh that's ugly.

If somebody wants to send me some Starline brass I'll be happy to load it for 6.8 and test. I don't yet have my 6 x 6.8 barrel to test with yet.

I'm trying to get some out of one of the guys now.

Greg

• geepee3 likes this

#17 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 29,276

Posted Jan. 07 2018 - 04:50 PM

I'm trying to get some out of one of the guys now.

Greg

I got you covered Greg.

Thanks

Glenn

#18 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jan. 07 2018 - 05:12 PM

I got you covered Greg.

Thanks

Glenn

Thanks. The sooner we get some more examples/data the better we will all be.

Greg

• geepee3 likes this

#19 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Jan. 07 2018 - 06:51 PM

More inbound to you Greg. Shoot away!

#20 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jan. 07 2018 - 08:28 PM

Thanks guys. Anyone have a Ferrari they need tested?

Greg

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center