28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 3,238

Posted Jan. 08 2018 - 10:10 PM

https://www.washingt...ecks-drop-2017/

Signature:

"Cram-it up your . . . cramhole, La Fleur!" - White Goodman, 'Dodgeball:  A True Underdog Story'

"Well, we share very few sentiments with our government." - Pike Bishop, 'The Wild Bunch'

"It's never personal, it's always business!" - Nino Brown, 'New Jack City'

"Your an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill." - Col. Kurtz, 'Apocalypse Now' 

"Even if you tie me, your gonna be dead! - John Russell, 'Hombre'

"Ben Trane.  I don't trust him. He likes people, and you can never count on a man like that!" - Joe Erin, 'Vera Cruz'

"We're after men - and I wish to God, I was with them.  The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride-off, and let you die!" - Deke Thornton, 'The Wild Bunch'

"After thirty years; I'll not bargain with a rogue at the final hour!" - John Brown of Kansas, 'Santa Fe Trail'

"I've learned to live in the 'white man's world'. Grab all you can, anytime you can!" - Levi Walking-Bear, 'The War Wagon'

"I never rode shotgun on a hearse before." - Vin Tanner, 'The Magnificent Seven'

"Let's just say I'm on your side, and this is no job for amateurs." - Cole Thornton, 'El Dorado'

"Every man should have a little taste of power before he's through!" - Nathan Burdette, 'Rio Bravo'

"Generosity . . . was my first-mistake.  I leave these people with little-bit extra, and then they hire these men to make trouble.

It shows you, sooner or later, you must answer for every good-deed." - Calvera, 'The Magnificent Seven'

"You better wake-up.  The world your living in is just a sugar-coated topping!  There is another world beneath it - the real world.  And if you

want to survive it, you better learn to pull-the-trigger!" - Blade the Daywalker, 'Blade'

#2 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 17,986

Posted Jan. 08 2018 - 10:38 PM

It was bound to happen, and now the market is propped up by super low prices. I wonder when prices will rise to normal levels, but for now buy what you need!

#3 ONLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Member ID: 25,426

Posted Jan. 08 2018 - 11:24 PM

It was still the second highest sales year ever.

Signature:

Lighten up Francis! "

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Benjamin FranklinA"

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. 

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  

Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

gallery_25426_262_200.jpg     

Bossiershreveportmudbuglogo.png

#4 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 01:27 AM

It was bound to happen, and now the market is propped up by super low prices. I wonder when prices will rise to normal levels, but for now buy what you need!

It was only a 10% drop in sales over the prior year. I do not believe we are going to see prices rebound for some time. It is extremely unlikely to happen in 2018.

I have shows coming up in February to buy guns for the following 6 months. I am seeing some crazy deals on some guns. Buy 3 get 1 free is unheard of and that is what is out there. 

A lot of the promotions going on up until now have been rebates to the consumer. That is because they can be set up quickly and rolled out. Now, you will start to see some serious low shelf prices. Which gives me an idea. For a new thread.

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#5 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 01:33 AM

We have market saturation...

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#6 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 09:16 AM

We have market saturation...

Not necessarily, if prices are low enough folks will always buy more regardless of need. Passing up a great deal goes against human nature!

Edited by gmor, Jan. 09 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#7 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 09:21 AM

It was only a 10% drop in sales over the prior year. I do not believe we are going to see prices rebound for some time. It is extremely unlikely to happen in 2018.

I have shows coming up in February to buy guns for the following 6 months. I am seeing some crazy deals on some guns. Buy 3 get 1 free is unheard of and that is what is out there. 

A lot of the promotions going on up until now have been rebates to the consumer. That is because they can be set up quickly and rolled out. Now, you will start to see some serious low shelf prices. Which gives me an idea. For a new thread.

We were told that the cheap prices post election were due to excessive inventory built up for the anticipated panic buying after a Clinton victory. Now that inventory has been long sold off but prices are still dropping. I guess manufacturers are just cranking out guns to keep the factories rolling???

Edited by gmor, Jan. 09 2018 - 09:23 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 09:41 AM

It was retailers who stocked deep who had to slash prices. There are wholesalers in the same position. But the thing with slashed prices on ARs is that had an effect on other guns. $300 ARs mean people spend the $300 on the AR and pass on other guns. So now the overstock is branching out into all other guns and those prices are dropping as well.

Just remember, every boom has a bust. The bigger the boom the bigger the bust. That last boom was 8 years long, 16 if you think about it. It will be a huge bust.

#9 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 11:24 AM

It was retailers who stocked deep who had to slash prices. There are wholesalers in the same position. But the thing with slashed prices on ARs is that had an effect on other guns. $300 ARs mean people spend the $300 on the AR and pass on other guns. So now the overstock is branching out into all other guns and those prices are dropping as well.

Just remember, every boom has a bust. The bigger the boom the bigger the bust. That last boom was 8 years long, 16 if you think about it. It will be a huge bust.

So don't buy fireams companies stock?

#10 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 33

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 11:45 AM

If I bought a gun the system would go into overload because it would not what to do. They everybody would be out of luck on buying a new gun.

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#11 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 08:16 PM

If I bought a gun the system would go into overload because it would not what to do. They everybody would be out of luck on buying a new gun.

Who are you kidding. You buying a new gun would be an extinction level event. Not one of us would survive.

#12 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 09:35 PM

It was still the second highest sales year ever.

Exactly !

People are still buying a heck of a lot of guns.

The tide continues to turn in our favor. 

• JohnGaltOU812 likes this

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#13 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 09:37 PM

In the next year or so, will there be a better time to buy a gun than now, Lon ?

#14 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 09:37 PM

DUPE

Edited by Retcop, Jan. 10 2018 - 06:44 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 09:51 PM

So don't buy fireams companies stock?

I wouldn't go that far. I believe the gun companies are still going to be highly profitable. Why? because as the economy roars back to life people are going to find they have more disposable income and will be buying more guns so that when oprah gets elected they can sell them at a profit.

In the next year or so, will there be a better time to buy a gun than now, Lon ?

It is always a good time to buy a gun. I don't see the industry crashing, just more thought put in to new products and maintaining a profit. 

That said, this year is an election year. If it looks like the democrats are going to take control of congress then there may be a rekindle of the panic. Our gun rights will never be "safe" because we still don't summarily shoot those who wish to take them away. Even when they think nothing of shooting us and then blaming us for "the gun problem", which really is a mental health issue or a lack of mental health on the left. 

Seriously, I believe the prices you see this summer will be as good as it is going to get. Those firearms that are in high demand will not see the deep discounts as those which are economy models. 

#16 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 10:02 PM

I wouldn't go that far. I believe the gun companies are still going to be highly profitable. Why? because as the economy roars back to life people are going to find they have more disposable income and will be buying more guns so that when oprah gets elected they can sell them at a profit.

It is always a good time to buy a gun. I don't see the industry crashing, just more thought put in to new products and maintaining a profit. 

That said, this year is an election year. If it looks like the democrats are going to take control of congress then there may be a rekindle of the panic. Our gun rights will never be "safe" because we still don't summarily shoot those who wish to take them away. Even when they think nothing of shooting us and then blaming us for "the gun problem", which really is a mental health issue or a lack of mental health on the left. 

Seriously, I believe the prices you see this summer will be as good as it is going to get. Those firearms that are in high demand will not see the deep discounts as those which are economy models. 

Thanks, Lon. 

I really need to pick up a decent bolt action. For right now, not worried about heirloom quality.

It is a huge whole in my collection, although the 8mm Mauser is good for certain things. 

It is amazing to be how accurate even some of less expensive rifles are. 

Savage's new hunting rifle stock Accu something that adjusts all kinds of ways. looks great, but the durability of the cheek piece concerns me.

But that was an 1,100 MSRP. It is not a good looking stock, but it was designed for function, and to get rid of the bad things common to "classic" stocks, like having to raise your head up to see the scope, recoil directed straight to the face, etc

I saw of a review of an Ruger American and 2 Ruger PDR's and the groups were all under an inch MOA, with the American's groups only barely larger.

They were in 6mm Creedmore.  That American amazed me for what it could do, and it is not the only one out there. 

#17 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Posted Jan. 09 2018 - 11:01 PM

There are a lot of inexpensive bolt actions which shoot entirely too well to be considered cheap rifles. The Ruger American Predator is very nice except for the cheap plastic stock. I picked up some Ruger Americans in .270 at a very good price. And in years past I have gotten some of them in other calibers as free goods. Buy 8 get 1 free with the free one being a special edition. Bad thing about Illinois is bolt action rifles are slow sellers so it will be hard to find a shop that got the free goods. 

A few years back they had blue digital camo and were in .270 or .308. They have also done copper colored stocks and a "Wolf pattern camo" all within the last 3 or 4 years. If you keep your eyes open for those in shops you may be able to haggle the dealer down as he really doesn't have an investment in it unless he doesn't follow the numbers in his business. 

#18 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

Posted Jan. 10 2018 - 02:23 PM

How can they make money selling guns at these prices?

#19 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Posted Jan. 10 2018 - 02:42 PM

Because for the past 8 years they have been charging more than they really needed to.

I like to use the Ruger LCP as my example. 3 years ago they dropped the price on them overnight by $100. Was it that they suddenly discovered a way to make them for $100 less? No. It was that they had been charging what the market would bear since they started making them. People were willing to spend $300 on a pocket gun and that was what was being offered by everyone.

Ruger dropped their price by $100 and redefined pricing on the entire category. Manufacturers either followed suit or quit the category.

Everyone seems to think that firearms manufacturers operate on the same razor thin profit margins that dealers work with and that is categorically false. Manufacturers operate at a much higher profit margin than dealers. They set the prices at what the market will bear. In boom times they can set them high, in bust times they can set them lower and still be making money.

And we have to remember that the "Obama Boom" was for the most part confined to "Assault rifles". Sales have slowed on them since 2016 without question but they only made up a small fraction of the guns that were being purchased during that time. Sales on concealable handguns dominated the sales then and continue to dominate the sales now. Sales for those categories remain strong. 

And we are still selling most of the categories which weren't the targets of the antigunners at rates consistent with those before and during the boom. All of the gun control talk and potential legislation never targeted over/under shotguns for instance. 

#20 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Jan. 10 2018 - 03:54 PM

Its called business.

If a company makes $1 making one part or $1 making two parts, its still $1.  Its called a "Sale".  It's what you do when you have excess inventory and or manufacturing capacity to increase volume. 

Like Gshad posted, we have market saturation, everyone that wanted a gun either has one or now that there's little political pressure to buy one before they are banned rather than let their famillies suffer to get one can take a breather. 

Its good times for us gun collectors.  Like a down stock market, its the time to buy and not sell. Its called "Capitalism".. 

Tj

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center