The carnage has begun early this year.....**gratuitous pot gut photos**

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 08:57 PM

...sage rat season is early this year with the milder weather. I went up today on word they were out already and yes, indeed they are out. Not full force by any means but the start of the games have begun. It was a tad foggy in the morning but it cleared off by 9 am and the squeaks came out. I started at my old ranch and shot a few there before heading over to a better ranch. I hit the first field and stopped, set up, and stayed for four hours. It was not real busy but enough for one shooter. My shots ranged from a few at 75-100 yards to a bunch at 200-300+ yards. I did most of my work in the 200-230 range. 

I shot all three 20 practical barrels with two different bullets, the 40g v-max and the 39g Speer TNT. The 40g v-max are the bomb. They are laser beams out to 300 yards and make the critters fly. The TNT's are good to about 200 yards before they start to open up. They are not explosive either. You have to wait for a second after the shot before the critter realizes 39g of smoking lead and copper just went through him before he dies.

I started off with 17 for 17 kills before I missed with the first barrel, 10 for 10 with the second barrel before I missed, and the new barrel made a clean kill it's first shot and the next 12 or 13. It also smoked many at 200 yards with it. I killed about 75% today at the distances I was shooting.

And now for the carnage...........There is nothing better to see than a sage rat taking flight at 250 yards...it just warms the soul.

ed4o2wj.jpgz48PR47.jpg3RErpN6.jpgxXkR1nb.jpgCBssuSH.jpgVltZqQi.jpgPf8NoFn.jpgXgYTnFJ.jpgAfsLFUT.jpg704WXMy.jpgPosJ2ni.jpgNhqewoY.jpgDwf8MKa.jpg

• geepee3 likes this

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#2 ONLINE   meh77gmc

meh77gmc

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 7,821

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 09:05 PM

You need a scope camera set-up for video of this action.

#3 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 09:11 PM

You need a scope camera set-up for video of this action.

It would be pretty cool to have that set up.......wanna sponsor me one?  :yukyuk:  I'll put your company name on my trailer  :laugh:

#4 OFFLINE   mattd65636

mattd65636

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 27,713

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 09:15 PM

Sounds like a good time.

Signature:

"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." -Thomas Lynch The Undertaking: Life Studies From A Dismal Trade

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again,  this time more intelligently."-Henry Ford

#5 ONLINE   meh77gmc

meh77gmc

• Member ID: 7,821

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 09:33 PM

If I could sponser you one, I would. However it would be me, not my company name you'd be putting on the trailer. That is a bucket list type shooting trip for me.

#6 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Member ID: 33

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 09:34 PM

It would be pretty cool to have that set up.......wanna sponsor me one?  :yukyuk:  I'll put your company name on my trailer  :laugh:

He would also want it on the doors of your Blazer in big letters. :laugh:

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#7 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 09:40 PM

He would also want it on the doors of your Blazer in big letters. :laugh:

Magnetic only  :laugh:

#8 ONLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Member ID: 16,628

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 09:53 PM

Nice work!

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#9 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 16,016

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 10:35 PM

That 20 practical splits them in half, pretty impressive at that distance.
Nice job TT, man I would love to spend the day spraying some varmint blood.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#10 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 29,276

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 10:40 PM

Looks like a great start to the season.

Nice that the new barrel got its first victim on the first try.

Need to load more of those 40 gr. V-MAX... We want them critters to blowed up real good!

Thanks,

Glenn

Signature:

Turning 5.56X45 mm brass into 6X45 mm brass one case at a time since April 2014.

6.8 SPC II, That's .270 Lite for those of us in the real world. 

M1A Socom 16; Its bark blows minds, its bite is even worst! 

30 Herrett AR; I know, 7.62X39 is cheaper... But I already had the 6.8 SPC brass and bolts.

8DjqgGE.png

#11 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 10:48 PM

Looks like a great start to the season.

Nice that the new barrel got its first victim on the first try.

Need to load more of those 40 gr. V-MAX... We want them critters to blowed up real good!

Thanks,

Glenn

I would do 100% 40g v-max if I could.....but this will be the last year for leaded rounds while hunting. By far it is the best all around pill for sage rats. Blows them up real good and is a laser beam out to 300 yards. With the sight in I have imagine a soda can at 100-200-and 300 yards......at 100 you aim at the bottom 1/4 of the can.....at 200 you aim dead center can and at 300 you hold centered on the top half of the can......nothing escapes that bullet. The critters get split, gutted, and take flight.

The little 24g NTX lead free from Hornady is the funnest to shoot out to 150 yards.It's moving at 4100 fps and the critters take flight in two halves every time. The spread can be 40 feet or more.

The 26g BVG's and the 39g Speer TNT are accurate but not spectacular at all. The 39's knife right through and there is a delay in the critter even knowing it's hit sometimes. You get a lot of zombies with the 26 and 39's......the 40's and 24's are dead right there, and over there, and a piece over there too  :hysterical3:

• geepee3 likes this

#12 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 04 2018 - 10:55 PM

That 20 practical splits them in half, pretty impressive at that distance.
Nice job TT, man I would love to spend the day spraying some varmint blood.

There is nothing better than seeing a critter take flight and get gutted at 300 plus yards.....it's unbelievable to look out into the field and see nothing with your naked eye and be able to hit that little, smaller than a soda canned size, critter and make them blow up. The one picture above of the head shot was at 200 yards. All he gave me was his head and I took it...pulled him right out of the hole.

I did get a sex shot double today as well..Two of them were rolling around getting it on and I took them out at 230 yards.....at least they died happy.

#13 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Member ID: 19,861

Posted Feb. 05 2018 - 06:39 AM

TT,

It is obvious these animals are suffering terribly 

with your underpowered and ineffective caliber.

Please remedy the situation.

I can still recognize them as mammals  ! !      :segrin:     

• towtruck likes this

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#14 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 05 2018 - 10:48 AM

TT,

It is obvious these animals are suffering terribly 

with your underpowered and ineffective caliber.

Please remedy the situation.

I can still recognize them as mammals  ! !      :segrin:     

Yesterday I had a hawk that landed on one kill....he picked it up, dropped it, and flew to a better kill before eating it.  It's bad when you don't leave enough for the birds to eat  :bellylaf:

The birds had 150 to pick from and found enough to eat. When things pick up as the weather gets better there will be 5-600 to choose from.

#15 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Feb. 05 2018 - 01:09 PM

Yesterday I had a hawk that landed on one kill....he picked it up, dropped it, and flew to a better kill before eating it.  It's bad when you don't leave enough for the birds to eat  :bellylaf:

The birds had 150 to pick from and found enough to eat. When things pick up as the weather gets better there will be 5-600 to choose from.

That is a battlefield I am really having trouble imagining...

I can't believe there are so many per square foot. 

You would think there would be a high predator population to go along with them,

fox, coyote, bobcat, birds of prey, feral cats, and I would think that these Pdog towns would also be thick with snakes.

That's good eating for all those guys. 

I take it there's not much chance of lead staying in the Pdog's body for when they are being scavenged.

That's cool..  

Happy hunting !

#16 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 05 2018 - 01:24 PM

That is a battlefield I am really having trouble imagining...

I can't believe there are so many per square foot. 

You would think there would be a high predator population to go along with them,

fox, coyote, bobcat, birds of prey, feral cats, and I would think that these Pdog towns would also be thick with snakes.

That's good eating for all those guys. 

I take it there's not much chance of lead staying in the Pdog's body for when they are being scavenged.

That's cool..  

Happy hunting !

We have hawks, eagles, and coyotes. The eagles work the fields all day as do the hawks. When there is gunfire the come in droves. It's nothing to have six birds in your zone eating. I had two hawks yesterday with one eagle waiting on the side. No snakes. 

There is no word of any dead birds from lead poisoning.....and if there were this would be the area to find them. Another area north of me gets a lot of gulls eating the dead critters. They get so thick you have to stop shooting at times I hear. I don't shoot there. None of those birds are dying off either. 

The big stink over the Condor and lead poisoning has me baffled. We shoot, kill, and let lay thousands upon thousands of these critters a year and no bird death epidemic around here. How the condors can be affected has me thinking either they are a very weak bird or they are getting the lead from somewhere else. It's not possible to ingest that much lead from a few lost deer or other animal shot and not found when we litter the fields with lead and nothing happens to these birds or yotes. 

I love to watch the eagles eat. They will get brave and sit in the middle of a shoot and hop from critter to critter.....most times the birds wait until the shooting is over then drop in in mass. 

I'll bet dollars to donuts the condors are getting the lead someplace else. Once the full lead ban on hunting hits next year you watch they will come up with another source for the lead and try to get the lead bullets banned all together in the state. I know the birds are really getting poisoned but the source is not what they say it is. 

#17 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Feb. 05 2018 - 01:54 PM

We have hawks, eagles, and coyotes. The eagles work the fields all day as do the hawks. When there is gunfire the come in droves. It's nothing to have six birds in your zone eating. I had two hawks yesterday with one eagle waiting on the side. No snakes. 

There is no word of any dead birds from lead poisoning.....and if there were this would be the area to find them. Another area north of me gets a lot of gulls eating the dead critters. They get so thick you have to stop shooting at times I hear. I don't shoot there. None of those birds are dying off either. 

The big stink over the Condor and lead poisoning has me baffled. We shoot, kill, and let lay thousands upon thousands of these critters a year and no bird death epidemic around here. How the condors can be affected has me thinking either they are a very weak bird or they are getting the lead from somewhere else. It's not possible to ingest that much lead from a few lost deer or other animal shot and not found when we litter the fields with lead and nothing happens to these birds or yotes. 

I love to watch the eagles eat. They will get brave and sit in the middle of a shoot and hop from critter to critter.....most times the birds wait until the shooting is over then drop in in mass. 

I'll bet dollars to donuts the condors are getting the lead someplace else. Once the full lead ban on hunting hits next year you watch they will come up with another source for the lead and try to get the lead bullets banned all together in the state. I know the birds are really getting poisoned but the source is not what they say it is. 

I was not trying to stir any pot; looking at those pictures made me realize there are very few (if any) of your bullets staying in the Pdogs' body to get eaten

\by the predator.  

Was not up on the total ban of ammo with any lead in it. Is that a State thing ?

There are areas here where you can't duck or goose hunt with lead shotgun rounds. 

It's been so long since I went duck hunting, I have lost track. We just threw lead at them,

and the ducks were picking it up off the bottom when they fed. There were some areas where the 

bottoms were just covered with lead shot, 

Have any theories where the condors are picking up the lead  ?

I agree that deer sized game that was lost lost would be a sparse source of lead. 

However, if the hunters are leaving gut piles etc without recovering the bullet(s) 

I could see that as a potential problem if the hunting pressure is high. 

I think that Lead ban is ordered by the Feds since the ducks and geese  are migratory birds...

#18 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Feb. 05 2018 - 03:39 PM

I tell you something funny.  I use to think about pdog hunting 'What is it?".  I just didn't get it.  The whole shooting little furry cute critters you don't eat thing.  THEN, I spent some time out west........................ :laugh:

Damn, those things are worse than groundhogs and I know folks who pay bounties on groundhogs and you all got a shitpot load of them out there.  Those are some destructive little critters. 

Obviously in So CA along the coast, those folks aren't as enlightened.  Doing rides down Rt1, "No Hunting" signs, I've seen road side rests about to fall into the Ocean the prairie dogs were undermining them so bad.  :laugh:

Anyway I got it.  You all need to shoot more.

Tj

#19 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 05 2018 - 04:09 PM

I was not trying to stir any pot; looking at those pictures made me realize there are very few (if any) of your bullets staying in the Pdogs' body to get eaten

\by the predator.  

Was not up on the total ban of ammo with any lead in it. Is that a State thing ?

There are areas here where you can't duck or goose hunt with lead shotgun rounds. 

It's been so long since I went duck hunting, I have lost track. We just threw lead at them,

and the ducks were picking it up off the bottom when they fed. There were some areas where the 

bottoms were just covered with lead shot, 

Have any theories where the condors are picking up the lead  ?

I agree that deer sized game that was lost lost would be a sparse source of lead. 

However, if the hunters are leaving gut piles etc without recovering the bullet(s) 

I could see that as a potential problem if the hunting pressure is high. 

I think that Lead ban is ordered by the Feds since the ducks and geese  are migratory birds...

We have been slowly going lead free for hunting over the last five years. This is the last year for lead for any and all hunting. Target shooting is okay to use lead. I'm all about not harming the environment and cutting out the lead in some areas is good.......but as far as deer and large game I'm sorry there is no need for it up here. As I said earlier the pdog fields are the one place lead should be harming birds and it's not happening. Those dang Condors are either scape goats or they all love the taste of lead and search it out. If I had the funds and the time I would love to do my own study and find the real cause. 

I have lead free 17 HMR's, .223 and 204's so I'm covered for next year but the poor 22 lr hunters are going to be out of luck.

#20 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Feb. 05 2018 - 04:19 PM

We have been slowly going lead free for hunting over the last five years. This is the last year for lead for any and all hunting. Target shooting is okay to use lead. I'm all about not harming the environment and cutting out the lead in some areas is good.......but as far as deer and large game I'm sorry there is no need for it up here. As I said earlier the pdog fields are the one place lead should be harming birds and it's not happening. Those dang Condors are either scape goats or they all love the taste of lead and search it out. If I had the funds and the time I would love to do my own study and find the real cause. 

I have lead free 17 HMR's, .223 and 204's so I'm covered for next year but the poor 22 lr hunters are going to be out of luck.

I never thought about the .22 LR.

You would think the ammo gurus could come up with something. 

CCI, for example, gets a patent on it and you are taking some large money over the next 17 years. 

It would be better for shooting indoors, too.

The last indoor range I went to had shite for ventaltion, and I won't be back. 

I may sound like chicken little put if you spend enough time at a cracker jack indoor range you are just asking for trouble, IMHO. 

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center