Photo

RV wiring fix.

15 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted Feb. 07 2018 - 02:25 PM

My travel trailer has the battery charger under a cabinet out of the way. It is plugged into a dedicated outlet that is not on the same circuit as any other plugs as it cannot draw power from the rv's built in inverter.....a battery charger trying to charge batteries being powered by an inverter off those same batteries would be really cool but it's just not science that works  :laugh: 

So, this outlet only powers the charger when the trailer is plugged into 110v ac power. I bought a really nice generator/inverter that is remote start and even though it has a delay feature on the output they still recommend unplugging all the power drains before start up and shut down. In the trailer the only thing I could not control with a switch was the battery charger. I had to work one armed, laying on my side, with tri focals, in the dark no less, up hill both ways, in the snow  :laugh:  but I cut the neutral leg at the back of that outlet and ran some wires over to a cluster of other switches and outlets and cut in a new switch and wired it up so I can cut the power to the charger on start up and shut down of the generator. I had all the parts except for the switch plate cover. 

I called a local RV place and asked what they do and they told me the switch was the easiest way and they could do it for $400. Ouch......it cost me less than $5 in parts, some skin off my right arm, and three Motrin...I'm good with that!

• Bentwrench and bamashooter like this

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Accuracy over OCD !

#2 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Feb. 07 2018 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, you are right, shame there isn't a "Flux Capitator"  like in the movies. 

When it comes to inverters and chargers, it depends on the draw.  The inverter its self doesn't have much draw and a decent charger will handle its demand and charge the batteries.  For example, in my boat I have a floating dual bank charger that's 6 Amps per bank.  My 2,000 watt charger with nothing being drawn like a fridge running, lights, fan whatever AC doesn't draw enough to stop the charger from doing its job.  Likewise when I'm plugged into AC.  Its all about the amperage.  If you are pulling more amps than our charging source puts out, it won't charge.  Now keep in mind anything with a motor gets a surge draw on start up.   My boat has a circuit panel with a bunch of switches.  When plugged in to AC, I switch everything off except what I need, which varies the time of year.  Even a wall plug is limited on how many amps just like your panel at home.  Now a generator, its limited by how many amps it can put out and its a lot less than a wall plug depending on size of course. Anyway I have the option, on/off DC or AC.  In fact, when not in dock, I run a cord from my inverter to my AC in plug.  That way I can save battery drain by using AC on things but then its just the opposite, now i have to turn my battery charger off otherwise its just a redundant drain.  That's what you are doing with your genny.

Tj 

#3 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Member ID: 17,756

Posted Feb. 07 2018 - 03:00 PM

My travel trailer has the battery charger under a cabinet out of the way. It is plugged into a dedicated outlet that is not on the same circuit as any other plugs as it cannot draw power from the rv's built in inverter.....a battery charger trying to charge batteries being powered by an inverter off those same batteries would be really cool but it's just not science that works  :laugh: 

So, this outlet only powers the charger when the trailer is plugged into 110v ac power. I bought a really nice generator/inverter that is remote start and even though it has a delay feature on the output they still recommend unplugging all the power drains before start up and shut down. In the trailer the only thing I could not control with a switch was the battery charger. I had to work one armed, laying on my side, with tri focals, in the dark no less, up hill both ways, in the snow  :laugh:  but I cut the neutral leg at the back of that outlet and ran some wires over to a cluster of other switches and outlets and cut in a new switch and wired it up so I can cut the power to the charger on start up and shut down of the generator. I had all the parts except for the switch plate cover. 

I called a local RV place and asked what they do and they told me the switch was the easiest way and they could do it for $400. Ouch......it cost me less than $5 in parts, some skin off my right arm, and three Motrin...I'm good with that!

At least no skin off your nose. :laugh:

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#4 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Feb. 07 2018 - 09:20 PM

That's great! It always feels good to do something yourself for a bargain when the pros want to charge a pile of cash to do it the exact same way. 

i just have one question.... did you see any spider eggs while you were in there?  :tongue:

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#5 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 08 2018 - 01:56 AM

That's great! It always feels good to do something yourself for a bargain when the pros want to charge a pile of cash to do it the exact same way. 

i just have one question.... did you see any spider eggs while you were in there?  :tongue:

I sprayed for spiders in the fall and there are a few dead one's here and there....I'd better make sure to pick those up before April   :bellylaf: I would not want anyone to freak out or something.

#6 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Feb. 08 2018 - 02:25 AM

:tap:

#7 ONLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 25,426

Posted Feb. 08 2018 - 07:48 AM

I sprayed for spiders in the fall and there are a few dead one's here and there....I'd better make sure to pick those up before April   :bellylaf: I would not want anyone to freak out or something.

:bellylaf:

Signature:

Lighten up Francis! "

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Benjamin FranklinA"

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. 

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  

Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

gallery_25426_262_200.jpg     

Bossiershreveportmudbuglogo.png

#8 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 09 2018 - 01:46 PM

Here is the finished product. I added the switch on the left. I lined it up with the outlet but the knuckleheads that put in those three other boxes need to be slapped for getting the phone cover on all crooked. I may have to go in there and fix that if I can....that's just sloppy work. 

I believe all I have to do now is clean up the entry way of dirt and debris, buy some furnace tape and tape down the furnace housing to stop a vibration and make up the bed and it's ready to go. I sprayed for bugs last fall and as far as I can tell the RV is clear of bugs. I had set mouse traps and glue boards in there for the winter and they are untouched. 

I will have the trailer up on the property late March or early April as long as the weather holds.

Ws8m5PW.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Member ID: 7

Contributor

Posted Feb. 09 2018 - 01:56 PM

One thing about boating vs RVs.  If spiders freak you out, man did you pick the wrong recreation.  A boat in marina must be a spiders idea of heaven.

#10 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Feb. 09 2018 - 02:10 PM

Here is the finished product. I added the switch on the left. I lined it up with the outlet but the knuckleheads that put in those three other boxes need to be slapped for getting the phone cover on all crooked. I may have to go in there and fix that if I can....that's just sloppy work. 

I believe all I have to do now is clean up the entry way of dirt and debris, buy some furnace tape and tape down the furnace housing to stop a vibration and make up the bed and it's ready to go. I sprayed for bugs last fall and as far as I can tell the RV is clear of bugs. I had set mouse traps and glue boards in there for the winter and they are untouched. 

I will have the trailer up on the property late March or early April as long as the weather holds.

Ws8m5PW.jpg

You probably think you're pretty freaking funny don't you.....
::don29:

#11 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Feb. 09 2018 - 02:16 PM

One thing about boating vs RVs.  If spiders freak you out, man did you pick the wrong recreation.  A boat in marina must be a spiders idea of heaven.

Spiders are one thing. Black widows are another. :blink:

#12 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Feb. 09 2018 - 02:22 PM

You probably think you're pretty freaking funny don't you.....
: :don29:

Why yes, yes I do.  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:  :bellylaf:

#13 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Member ID: 33

Posted Feb. 09 2018 - 08:56 PM

Ws8m5PW.jpg

:ROFLLMAO:

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#14 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Feb. 11 2018 - 12:45 AM

Ws8m5PW.jpg

:hysterical3:  :hysterical3:  :hysterical3:  :hysterical3:  :hysterical3:  :hysterical3:

#15 ONLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 25,426

Posted Feb. 11 2018 - 01:02 AM

Ws8m5PW.jpg

:bellylaf:

#16 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Feb. 11 2018 - 02:50 AM

Reply to this topic

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic