Significance of AR Buffer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Feb. 13 2018 - 02:23 PM

My only understanding of the buffer / buffer spring assembly is how it impacts the bolt locking back during end of cycle, controlability, and a smoothing influence on the overall operation of the weapon. And perhaps smaller things such as direction and distance of ejected brass, etc.

My question is, if a carbine buffer, H through H3 buffers all lock the bolt back upon last round fired, which buffer would I want to go with and why? Does one "beat up" parts than another? That's about all I can think of but I have no idea. Though I don't know, I don't see where one size over the other would play a major role in the bolt slamming forward unless there was a major difference in springs..

Thanks

Edited by bamashooter, Feb. 13 2018 - 02:24 PM.

Signature:

This is my last build.

#2 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 7,742

Posted Feb. 13 2018 - 08:20 PM

In general, a lighter buffer has less reciprocating mass and the rifle stays steadier from shot to shot.  A heavier buffer prevents bolt-bounce on the return to battery portion of the firing cycle.  The goal is to use the lightest buffer that is still heavy enough prevent bolt-bounce

Some people try to use a heavier buffer to try to slow down an overgassed gun, but this is a bandaid at best and the situation is best corrected by reducing gas from the port into the action.  

• bamashooter likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 21,618

Posted Feb. 13 2018 - 11:14 PM

In general, a lighter buffer has less reciprocating mass and the rifle stays steadier from shot to shot.  A heavier buffer prevents bolt-bounce on the return to battery portion of the firing cycle.  The goal is to use the lightest buffer that is still heavy enough prevent bolt-bounce

Some people try to use a heavier buffer to try to slow down an overgassed gun, but this is a bandaid at best and the situation is best corrected by reducing gas from the port into the action.  

This. The lighter the bolt the more potential "bounce" which is pound of the BCG on the upper. I don't fully know how much this changes component wear but ideally from a longevity perspective I'd go heavier. If you ant lots ofgas to make sure the bolt is going to cycle then more pressure could be better.

https://youtu.be/575Q0O41u5s
  • bamashooter likes this

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center