Office network question. At&t broke it

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   smb5769

smb5769

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 12,498

Posted Feb. 13 2018 - 09:44 PM

We just got AT&T fiber at our office and it's broken our in office network. We came off of dsl with a WiFi four port router and everything was talking to each other. They installed a ciena 3190 and a Edgemarc 4808, they ran one cat5 wire to the bosses PC, connected it to a five port switch along with the other office PC's. All office computers have considerably faster internet, but no longer talk to each other. AT&T is sending a guy out in the morning but just wanted to pick our IT guys brains here and see if the change from router to switch is what killed our internal system?

Signature:
The liberties of our country, the freedoms of our civil Constitution are worth defending at all hazards; it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors. They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring a mark of everlasting infamy on the present generation enlightened as it is if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of designing men.
Samuel Adams

#2 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted Feb. 13 2018 - 09:52 PM

You need to declare the network as a private network in network and sharing center. It probably thinks the network you are now attached to is public and is limiting them from talking to each other.

https://tinkertry.co...blic-to-private

Edited by MontanaLon, Feb. 13 2018 - 09:54 PM.

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#3 ONLINE   smb5769

smb5769

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 12,498

Posted Feb. 13 2018 - 09:59 PM

Is that just the four office computers as private or is that including AT&Ts, what is that 4808, a router? I feel sorry for the AT&T guy tomorrow if I'm not busy. I feel real sorry for him if the boss IS busy...

#4 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Posted Feb. 13 2018 - 10:23 PM

The Ciena is a multiservice switch which is what the use to connect to the fiber cable. That is your network gateway to the internet. The edgemarc let's them run phone and other connections through the fiber optic. 

If you open the network and sharing center you can see if the network is set up as public or private for each computer. Each of them will need to be set to private to allow them to communicate.

Has nothing to do with the network protection built into the device connected to the fiber optic. There should be something there to catch the hackers.

#5 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Posted Feb. 13 2018 - 10:25 PM

Windows has 2 defaults for networks. Public and private. Public will restrict visibility between computers and is what you want when you connect on wifi somewhere. Private will let the computers share files and printers and stuff.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center