Photo

New tool added to the stable

14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 3,238

Posted Mar. 13 2018 - 10:42 PM

I pretty much have everything, that I needed in a 1/4" ratchet-set.  I found a nice mid-length set of sockets by S&K.  I try to buy 'contractor-grade' tools when I can afford them.  Many years ago, I learned that buying cheap tools may work, but they can also fail at the most inopportune moments, as they say.  At the quarter-inch drive level, 6-pt sockets are really the only way to go.  You can see the difference between a regular short-socket, and a mid-socket.  Especially, when a deepwell is too long.

8i59hfOl.jpg?1

S&K is a mid-level grade tool, not as expensive as Mac, MATCO, or Snap-On.  They're pricey, but not Visa Gold Card insane like the wagon vendors sell.

pyV1Eswl.jpg?1

Yp4dYn4l.jpg?1

dyfbqAKl.jpg?1

You get ten metric, and equal number of SAE increments.  

a95NHjUl.jpg

I've been using this brand since the early-70's, when they were featured at most Auto Parts stores.  I bought a bag of combo wrenches in SAE to work on my brother-in-law's Chevy Nova back then, and they still look new.  I'm currently looking at their set of 1/4" deep impact sockets, which I don't have.  :laugh: Then a set of metric 'saltus wrenches'.  For those not familiar with the term they are this pattern:

41R336PHNEL.jpg

Craftsman used to make a nice raised-panel set in this pattern USA-made, but discontinued them.  So anyways:  that's my tool of the week!

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero, Mar. 14 2018 - 01:41 PM.

• Bentwrench and bamashooter like this

Signature:

"Cram-it up your . . . cramhole, La Fleur!" - White Goodman, 'Dodgeball:  A True Underdog Story'

"Well, we share very few sentiments with our government." - Pike Bishop, 'The Wild Bunch'

"It's never personal, it's always business!" - Nino Brown, 'New Jack City'

"Your an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill." - Col. Kurtz, 'Apocalypse Now' 

"Even if you tie me, your gonna be dead! - John Russell, 'Hombre'

"Ben Trane.  I don't trust him. He likes people, and you can never count on a man like that!" - Joe Erin, 'Vera Cruz'

"We're after men - and I wish to God, I was with them.  The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride-off, and let you die!" - Deke Thornton, 'The Wild Bunch'

"After thirty years; I'll not bargain with a rogue at the final hour!" - John Brown of Kansas, 'Santa Fe Trail'

"I've learned to live in the 'white man's world'. Grab all you can, anytime you can!" - Levi Walking-Bear, 'The War Wagon'

"I never rode shotgun on a hearse before." - Vin Tanner, 'The Magnificent Seven'

"Let's just say I'm on your side, and this is no job for amateurs." - Cole Thornton, 'El Dorado'

"Every man should have a little taste of power before he's through!" - Nathan Burdette, 'Rio Bravo'

"Generosity . . . was my first-mistake.  I leave these people with little-bit extra, and then they hire these men to make trouble.

It shows you, sooner or later, you must answer for every good-deed." - Calvera, 'The Magnificent Seven'

"You better wake-up.  The world your living in is just a sugar-coated topping!  There is another world beneath it - the real world.  And if you

want to survive it, you better learn to pull-the-trigger!" - Blade the Daywalker, 'Blade'

#2 OFFLINE   mattd65636

mattd65636

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 27,713

Posted Mar. 14 2018 - 05:14 AM

Nice!

I have pulled a many of S&k tool, never had a problem.

• Zephyr One/Zero likes this

Signature:

"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." -Thomas Lynch The Undertaking: Life Studies From A Dismal Trade

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again,  this time more intelligently."-Henry Ford

#3 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Mar. 14 2018 - 01:53 PM

I like S&K, never had an issue with them. I enjoy working with good tools, but I don't enjoy the prices of the truck tools. S&K fills the niche pretty well. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#4 ONLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 33

Posted Mar. 14 2018 - 09:26 PM

S&K do make some good tools.

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#5 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Mar. 14 2018 - 09:45 PM

I grew up with S&K Tools in the truck shop. My dad loved them. I still have many SK ratchets, sockets and screw drivers. I also pick up any loose SK Tools I see in the bins at pawn shops.

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges.
I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

And.... BFYTW.

#6 OFFLINE   Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

Posted Mar. 14 2018 - 10:01 PM

I grew up with S&K Tools in the truck shop. My dad loved them. I still have many SK ratchets, sockets and screw drivers. I also pick up any loose SK Tools I see in the bins at pawn shops.

When young, I hated forking-over the few extra bucks I had for S&K's.  But they have stood the test-of-time, and hard usage.  They have changed hands over the years, but never lowered the quality factor.  Currently, they are a subsidiary of electrical giant Ideal.

#7 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 17,756

Posted Mar. 14 2018 - 10:05 PM

S&K is great quality!

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#8 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

• Member ID: 750

Posted Mar. 15 2018 - 12:07 AM

Sears Craftsman...and now they are gone.......

I've had S&K, never knew anything about them......I'm a dork, those are nice....

#9 ONLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Member ID: 26,113

Posted Mar. 15 2018 - 12:20 AM

Only thng that i would buy from snapon is their digital torque wrenches, they are the cats meow in my opinion. Other than that i have usually only bought craftsman.

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

#10 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Member ID: 19,861

Posted Mar. 15 2018 - 06:54 AM

Sweet !  S & K's  have a very good reputation.

Most of mine are older Craftsman. 

Some of my most prized possessions are hand tools from my father and grandfather,

so I can appreciate the attraction to quality hand tools. 

I could tell you the story of some roof repairs my aged and ill father needed done to his house in Ohio

that I was unaware of, a young crooked "handyman" who had "befriended" my father, 

and a large rolling tool chest jammed full of Craftsman hand tools, but it would make me cry. 

I tried the entire time after my Mom died to get him to move here either with me or near me.

Especially after I found my sister and her husband, who lived close to him, 

pretty much left him to to his own devices. 

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#11 OFFLINE   Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

Posted Mar. 15 2018 - 02:01 PM

Only thng that i would buy from snapon is their digital torque wrenches, they are the cats meow in my opinion. Other than that i have usually only bought craftsman.

Hardy, you are right about Snap-On torque wrenches.  Most accurate in the industry.  

Proto is another brand, that's very comparable to S&K.  I believe Stanley owns them.  Used alot in the aerospace industry from what I understand.

#12 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted Mar. 15 2018 - 02:06 PM

Most of mine are older Craftsman. 

Some of my most prized possessions are hand tools from my father and grandfather,

so I can appreciate the attraction to quality hand tools. 

I could tell you the story of some roof repairs my aged and ill father needed done to his house in Ohio

that I was unaware of, a young crooked "handyman" who had "befriended" my father, 

and a large rolling tool chest jammed full of Craftsman hand tools, but it would make me cry. 

I tried the entire time after my Mom died to get him to move here either with me or near me.

Especially after I found my sister and her husband, who lived close to him, 

pretty much left him to to his own devices. 

Git a rope.

#13 OFFLINE   Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

Posted Mar. 15 2018 - 02:13 PM

I'm glad some things stay the same.  I remember, when you could buy a genuine 'hard-rubber' ACE comb made-in-America.  Now they're just cheap plastic made-in-China, that bust in two when you drop them.  I inherited most of my Dad's Craftsman tool's when he passed-away.  Back in the sixties, Sears had tools made by Stanley, and Western Forge who made screwdrivers for just about everybody (100 million alone for Sears).  I was surprised to learn that Ideal now owns Western Forge also.  So I may pick-up a few S&K screwdrivers for kicks.  :laugh: 

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero, Mar. 15 2018 - 02:13 PM.

#14 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Member ID: 19,861

Posted Mar. 15 2018 - 02:19 PM

Git a rope.

It is too long ago.

To be frank, I was probably more upset with my sister and brother-in law 

than I was with the con artist at the time. After all, it was his job to be a scumbag,

and he did it weel 

it was their job since the lived 30 minutes away to help 

All three family members  have since assumed room temperature. 

Probably time to let it go;  eh ?

Edited by Retcop, Mar. 15 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#15 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 17,986

Posted Apr. 03 2018 - 11:24 PM

Most of my tools are Craftsman circa 1979-1985.

Reply to this topic

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center