A question about 922r Compliance

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   edteach

edteach

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 22,203

Posted Mar. 17 2018 - 09:44 PM

So say you have a NHM90 or similar gun with the thumb hold stock. You can have if I understand it correctly only 10 foreign parts. So has anyone ever had any authority check a gun and how would they know that a trigger is made in the USA and not made in China? Or if you buy a set of stocks how would anyone know they are made in USA not China or outside the states? What am I missing?  I have a USA slant conspirator made in the USA or so it was advertised but is not stamped anywhere. It looks just like the Communist block comps.

#2 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted Mar. 17 2018 - 10:39 PM

I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for non-compliance with 922r after the point of importation. The way the law is worded it specifies "assembly" as being the offense, so mere possession of a firearm not in compliance with 922r would not be an offense that you could be charged with.

It would likely cost them more to test the parts which are not marked to determine where they were made than any fine they could levy if they were able to convince a jury that you in fact were the one who put the non-compliant parts into the gun. It would be a huge uphill battle for them to meet the burden of proof that you were in fact the one who "assembled" the firearm in that way.

Now, that isn't to say they couldn't or wouldn't try and couldn't or wouldn't cost tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to beat the charge. In all likelihood the "testing" involved would be destructive and if you ever did get the gun back it would be in pieces.

But the chance of running into an LEO who even knows what 922r is outside of an actual ATF agent are slim to none. But if the ATF wants to get you, they will just used soft primers until the gun "doubles" and then say it is a machine gun and run you right through the system. Why take the chance?

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#3 ONLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

• Member ID: 7,742

Posted Mar. 17 2018 - 10:50 PM

Compliance with the law (no matter how stupid in this case) is your best bet.

While some parts are marked, the way for your compliance verification is to save your receipts.  One benefit of internet purchases is the emailed receipts are easy to save.

• Flesh Wound likes this

#4 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Member ID: 26,245

Posted Mar. 17 2018 - 11:16 PM

Compliance with the law (no matter how stupid in this case) is your best bet.

While some parts are marked, the way for your compliance verification is to save your receipts.  One benefit of internet purchases is the emailed receipts are easy to save.

This. Keep your receipts. 

The way it was explained to me was the ATF would not likely come after you for a non 922r complaint rifle but could tack that charge on if they busted you for something else if not compliant.

Edited by Flesh Wound, Mar. 17 2018 - 11:16 PM.

• JohnGaltOU812 likes this

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

The rules. (h/t Graham Combat)

1. NOBODY IS COMING TO SAVE YOU.
2. EVERYTHING IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.
3. SAVE WHO NEEDS TO BE SAVED.
4. KILL WHO NEEDS TO BE KILLED.
5. ALWAYS BE WORKING. 

And.... BFYTW.

#5 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 12:12 AM

Depends on how bad you pissed somebody off in law enforcement or the ATF

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#6 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins
  • Member ID: 21

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 01:52 AM

Depends on how bad you pissed somebody off in law enforcement or the ATF

LOL, like law enforcement would know WTF 922r compliance is. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#7 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 02:18 AM

You never know.....

#8 ONLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 02:20 AM

LOL, like law enforcement would know WTF 922r compliance is. 

They don't have to know if you piss off an arsehole on a "respect mah authoritah" power trip who decides to arrest you, take your stuff and then work with the local yokel prosecutor to find stuff to make your life complicated.

Odds of this are low, but I know one county in MI where I used to live that was headed this direction.

#9 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 02:27 AM

exactly

#10 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 02:28 AM

They don't have to know if you piss off an arsehole on a "respect mah authoritah" power trip who decides to arrest you, take your stuff and then work with the local yokel prosecutor to find stuff to make your life complicated.

Odds of this are low, but I know one county in MI where I used to live that was headed this direction.

I know about 300 cops well enough to take their temperature on gun issues/knowledge. Of those, less than 10 would know what 922r compliance might be. And of those 300, if they all knew what it was, maybe 10 would be interested in screwing with someone. 

#11 ONLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 02:47 AM

I know about 300 cops well enough to take their temperature on gun issues/knowledge. Of those, less than 10 would know what 922r compliance might be. And of those 300, if they all knew what it was, maybe 10 would be interested in screwing with someone. 

The majority are going to be just fine.

But it only takes 1 that's not, so I'm going to stack the deck in my favor just in case.

#12 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 03:11 AM

The majority are going to be just fine.

But it only takes 1 that's not, so I'm going to stack the deck in my favor just in case.

No problem brother, I'm in no way suggesting anyone break the law. I'm just saying that if someone did, there's probably not many that could tell the difference. 

• JohnGaltOU812 likes this

#13 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 06:47 AM

I bought mine way back in the day it was 100% Romanian but I have added a TAPCO trigger which counts as 3 parts. I have added the Magpul Zhukov stock and handguard, a Houge handgrip, US made gas piston, Ultimak gas tube, plus a PWS muzzle brake and a handguard even though my rifle doesn't have to meet the compliance issues due to the date I purchased it. They are simply better parts than came on my AK-47 originally. This gives me 8 parts out of 17 that are use made which scores a 9 on the compliance for 922-R which is below the magic number of 10.

Edited by gshayd, Mar. 18 2018 - 06:55 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Mar. 18 2018 - 06:49 AM

Here is what I use for 922-R

http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

Edited by gshayd, Mar. 18 2018 - 06:55 AM.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center