Non-indexing barrel nut

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   srjdsmith

srjdsmith

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 31,337

Posted Apr. 04 2018 - 10:51 PM

Got my latest lower built. Phase 5 B.A.D., RRA Varmint trigger, FAB Defense GL-Shock Recoil-Reducing Stock with Adjustable Cheekpiece, enlarged pivot & takedown pins... so far pretty happy with it. Now saving for an 18” or 20” stainless barrel in 450 Bushmaster to start the upper build.

I need advice on two things; handguard and sights. This will be a hunting rifle- deer.

I want a trim free-float handguard, Maybe M-Lok, round or hex (not quad- I don’t want the catch-points of all that picatinny and don’t need the accessories) with a proprietary non-indexing barrel nut. Long, like 15”

Also, what sighting system for deer? I’ll want backup iron sights, maybe at a 45, but what main sight for deer? On my 30-06 I have a 1 3/4 - 5 power scope with duplex reticle. Something like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

• Group:G.D. Staff
  • Member ID: 22,055

Posted Apr. 05 2018 - 07:09 AM

I think either the Vortex StikeEagle or the PA 1-8x would be great for that application.
  • srjdsmith likes this

Signature:
If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal isn't for you.
Ignorance can be cured by knowledge, Stupid is Forever.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no eyes or ears."
I
"I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior, except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit."

"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."

#3 OFFLINE   dfairclothrra

dfairclothrra

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 12,185

Posted Apr. 05 2018 - 09:15 AM

i use vx2 or x3 leupolds 3x9 or 3.5x10 i like their low light gathering  and they are not a heavy scope.  plus in VT  we have a point restriction and the higher power helps.

• srjdsmith likes this

#4 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Apr. 08 2018 - 12:33 AM

This is what I have bought the last three times. All you need to do is buy  1 3/16 crowfoot wrench for the non indexing barrel nut and a 9/64 Allen key wrench. They are not flimsy and work great and you can't beat the price. For a 15" is $62.95. They also have a slim profile.

https://www.joebobou...tm#ReviewHeader

Edited by gshayd, Apr. 08 2018 - 12:34 AM.

• srjdsmith and bamashooter like this

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#5 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Apr. 08 2018 - 12:38 AM

I usually buy  a Black Hole barrel  but towtruck amember built one of these with a BHW barrel and didn't like the barrel profile. .As for a barrel I like this as they are thick and meaty not thinner  walled at the flash suppressor end for the bigger calibers. The Satern takes a 3/4-24 threaded muzzle.  it takes a .875 gas block.It costs $320.00 but comes with a matched bolt which helps out on the price

https://shop.saternb...-450-bushmaster

Edited by gshayd, Apr. 08 2018 - 12:45 AM.

• srjdsmith likes this

#6 ONLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

• Member ID: 31,802

Posted Apr. 08 2018 - 07:21 AM

gshayd gave you the exact forearm / front rail I have found to be the best ,I have several that are 2 and 3 times as expensive but none as good . The Matrix is light slim and strong and you can put Magpul rail sections where you want them for light / sling / grip if need be . As far as sights I have found the Cabela's 3x prism circle dot to be the best for speed and the only illuminated rectical that is clear and acctuly benefitual .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Edited by ozarkpugs, Apr. 08 2018 - 07:22 AM.

• srjdsmith likes this

#7 OFFLINE   srjdsmith

srjdsmith

Posted Apr. 08 2018 - 01:35 PM

This is what I have bought the last three times. All you need to do is buy  1 3/16 crowfoot wrench for the non indexing barrel nut and a 9/64 Allen key wrench. They are not flimsy and work great and you can't beat the price. For a 15" is $62.95. They also have a slim profile.

https://www.joebobou...tm#ReviewHeader

I saw these and I was a little worried about the price. Don’t get me wrong- a sixth grade public school teacher really can’t afford a $350 handguard. But I wondered if the one I can afford was worth having. On your recommendation I’ll go with a Matrix.

I have Mlock and my son has Keymod currently. Advice on this this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Apr. 08 2018 - 01:59 PM

I saw these and I was a little worried about the price. Don’t get me wrong- a sixth grade public school teacher really can’t afford a $350 handguard. But I wondered if the one I can afford was worth having. On your recommendation I’ll go with a Matrix.

They have the Keymod in the Matrix Handguards also at Joe Bobs.   I own some Midwest and Troy Forearms on my AR-15s .  The Matrix to me is just as good and it is pretty thick material.  I was skeptical also till I got the first one. I would buy either one because I don't hang any stuff on it  The most I put on handguards is a rail under the bottom for a bipod and I have both types and they work well for that. Hopefully, somebody will chime in here about there experience with keymod  and Mlock.

Edited by gshayd, Apr. 08 2018 - 02:03 PM.

• srjdsmith likes this

#9 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 13,758

Posted Apr. 08 2018 - 02:02 PM

Keymod is dead. 

• srjdsmith likes this

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

I mean if you are going to go potato go full potato.

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#10 ONLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

• Member ID: 31,802

Posted Apr. 08 2018 - 02:13 PM

The first I ordered was for my wife's 16 "6.8 and accidentally got a keymode it is fine but I had to modify the Magpul fasteners a little to fit them mine is m lock and they fit perfectly .Joe Bob carries both .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
  • srjdsmith likes this

#11 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Member ID: 31,419

Posted Apr. 08 2018 - 02:30 PM

Purchased a 9" (actually 9 9/16") Matrix M-LOK about a month ago. Matrix lists it as 9.56" in length. Seems good quality to me and a heck of a value / quality ratio. Believe I purchased it after having read reviews posted by gshayd. Got it for 53.95 from JBO and they now have same for 49.95 and they offer leo/military/veteran/etc discount. Made in USA. Hard to beat.

Edited by bamashooter, Apr. 08 2018 - 02:33 PM.

• srjdsmith likes this

Signature:

This is my last build.

#12 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

• Member ID: 7,742

Posted Apr. 09 2018 - 01:37 PM

Keymod is dead. 

Betamax is better than VHS

#13 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

Posted Apr. 09 2018 - 01:39 PM

Keymod is dead. 

I was at Midwest Industries a few weeks back, zero Keymod on the shop floor.  Talking to the super helpful dude there, they sell 10:1 Mlock to Keymod and none of their new designs will be offered in Keymod.

#14 OFFLINE   srjdsmith

srjdsmith

Posted Apr. 09 2018 - 02:42 PM

Betamax is better than VHS

VHS is dead. So are CD’s. And iPods- dead as doornails. ...the day the music died.

So I’ll get Mlock and make my own “music”.

#15 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

Posted Apr. 09 2018 - 05:41 PM

VHS is dead. So are CD’s. And iPods- dead as doornails. ...the day the music died.

So I’ll get Mlock and make my own “music”.

And Betas tape are still used daily in news room all around the country   :segrin:

Betamax won

:hysterical3:

#16 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Apr. 12 2018 - 02:48 AM

Keymod is dead. 

Mine are not  :segrin:   about the only thing I hang off a forearm is a rail for a bipod. I hope they die hard so I can pick some up cheap.   :lol:

• JohnGaltOU812 likes this

#17 OFFLINE   xonlyj

xonlyj

• Member ID: 32,298

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 12:02 AM

If you haven't got a handguard yet try looking at Nordic Components. They have a round style that I find comfortable and stout and have an uncluttered appearance. I also just picked up a rifle length guard from Windham. It is round, knurled and very grippy. Looks like a Hogue clone. Not much to attach to but has provisions for a sling stud that will accept a bipod. You'll need proprietary mounts to add picatinny sections for more add-ons.

• srjdsmith likes this

Signature:

Don't cloud the issue with the facts...

#18 ONLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

• Member ID: 21,495

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 08:44 AM

Midwest industries gen 2 ss free float rail.
15"
https://shop.opticsp...ASABEgKtJvD_BwE
  • srjdsmith likes this

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#19 ONLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

• Member ID: 21,495

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 08:46 AM

For a deer rifle some sort of red dot, doesn't have to be crazy expensive if your not planning on using it for home defense.
Vortex is good.
Iron sights I would go with magpul. I run them and they are fine.
  • srjdsmith likes this

#20 OFFLINE   xonlyj

xonlyj

• Member ID: 32,298

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 07:24 PM

Got my latest lower built. Phase 5 B.A.D., RRA Varmint trigger, FAB Defense GL-Shock Recoil-Reducing Stock with Adjustable Cheekpiece, enlarged pivot & takedown pins... so far pretty happy with it. Now saving for an 18” or 20” stainless barrel in 450 Bushmaster to start the upper build.

I need advice on two things; handguard and sights. This will be a hunting rifle- deer.

I want a trim free-float handguard, Maybe M-Lok, round or hex (not quad- I don’t want the catch-points of all that picatinny and don’t need the accessories) with a proprietary non-indexing barrel nut. Long, like 15”

Also, what sighting system for deer? I’ll want backup iron sights, maybe at a 45, but what main sight for deer? On my 30-06 I have a 1 3/4 - 5 power scope with duplex reticle. Something like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the Fab Defense stock, makes all day shooting my 7.62x39 and Grendel a breeze on my shoulder replacement.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center