AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

Laser bore sighter; any recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 18,501

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 08:58 AM

Looking for a reasonably inexpensive laser bore sighter to get two rifles and one pistol on paper. I have a 2.5x10, a 4x16 and a 1x reflex sight that need to be set up. When bore sighting with a laser for a rifle do you start at 25 or 50 yards or do you just go to 100 yards to make the initial adjustments. I will use a 25 yard zero for my pistol as that is where I envision the most common shots to take or is a 50 yard zero better for an AR pistol?

Edited by ewallover, Apr. 14 2018 - 08:58 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   desperado8605

desperado8605

Reach out and touch someone

• Member ID: 14,768

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 09:13 AM

Sightmark makes one that magnets onto the end of the barrel it works awesome just don't drop it

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Signature:

born 01/10/11 my lil angel, Alyssa Marie Atkins 7pounds 7 ounces 20 inches

list of weapons lost in boating accident
mut ar15,
rem 870 wingmaster,
SIG tac-ops
1955 springfield m1 garand
1858 reproduction cap and ball
polytech m14s
awa 44special longhorn

#3 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 09:42 AM

Looks better than the expanding rubber insert type... Is there an alignment stud that centers the unit on the bore? And what about a stainless steel barrel, will the magnet securely attach to a stainless barrel? Both of my rifles have target crowns and my pistol has a linear compensator installed. It is powder coated steel so the unit should securely attach.

#4 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 417

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 09:44 AM

I use the Sightmark laser chamber boresighter. It goes in the chamber like a cartridge.

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#5 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Member ID: 417

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 09:46 AM

I would go to 50 yards, if you can see the laser at that distance. Otherwise, 25 yards. I think if you are centered at 25 yards, you will be pretty close at 100 yards. 50 yards puts you on at 200 yards.

#6 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Apr. 14 2018 - 10:28 AM

Cool... still curious if the magnet will stick to a SS barrel or is the stainless content low enough to allow a magnet to work. As one of my rifles is the 6x6.8 wildcat, an in chamber unit won’t be available... that’s why this universal unit looks interesting.

#7 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 31,419

Posted Apr. 15 2018 - 08:34 AM

I use the Sightmark laser chamber boresighter. It goes in the chamber like a cartridge.

I have a few of these in assorted calibers. Unless the target is in the shade or zeroing during early morning /late evening, you probably won't see the laser. With rifles I do 25 yards. Here's the difference in brightness of a typical laser boresighter and a full 5mW green laser.

This was about 10 yards with me slightly offset.

uQ3QctY.jpg

This was at 25 yards w/ red boresighter barely visible. These pics were early evening.

BjGjgdQ.jpg

Target panel

Red boresighter on 1" circle at 25 yards. Not bad. Shade would work very well.

xnCSDWc.jpg

Dialing in the green laser relative to red boresighter. Not much difference on target.

bR0df2B.jpg

Signature:

This is my last build.

#8 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

• Member ID: 30,977

Posted Apr. 17 2018 - 03:55 AM

I think with an SS barrel you are SOL on the magnet style.  With your wildcat it puts you further behind the eight ball.  Ahhh the things we do to feed the addiction.  Since I just got a 6.8 I dont really know what the parent cartridge was.  You might get on paper with using the parent cartridge size in chamber sighter.  It wont be as accurate as the true sized but should suffice at close range I would think.

Signature:

"The only place you can find a politician with convictions is in prison"

#9 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Apr. 17 2018 - 09:50 AM

Ain't that the truth. I have several that rarely see the light of day. If I can just get on paper at 50 w/ an 18" or so sized target, I can take it from there quickly. There has been a time or two where I didn't even hit the paper. In that case I just start closing in til I get a hit and go from there.  :D:

#10 ONLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Apr. 17 2018 - 03:39 PM

i just was given a trick to sight in rifles without a bore sighter. Use an oversized target at 25 yards. Shoot 1 round.  Adjust the center of the reticle to the point of impact, them move to a 100 yard range and repeat the process.  The round should fall on the 100 yard target a bit high.  Adjust to the desired point of impact and shoot again.  From what I am told, this can get a rifle dead on in 3 to 4 rounds.  $50 to $75 for a bore sighter or 4 rounds...I really don't think I need another "toy", er tool, to sit on my reloading bench.  We have a new 25 yard indoor range that just opened here in Lancaster and rifles up to 30.06 are welcome on the 25 yard range.  At least I can get my 6x6.8, my re-scoped 6.8 SPC, and my AR pistol with its new 1x prism sight all on paper inside  - out of the weather.  I'll load up some light 6x6.8 practice rounds in that soft brass I still have and at least get the gun operational until the new brass from Star Line arrives. 

#11 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted Apr. 17 2018 - 08:38 PM

x2

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#12 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Apr. 18 2018 - 08:04 AM

i just was given a trick to sight in rifles without a bore sighter. Use an oversized target at 25 yards. Shoot 1 round.  Adjust the center of the reticle to the point of impact, them move to a 100 yard range and repeat the process.  The round should fall on the 100 yard target a bit high.  Adjust to the desired point of impact and shoot again.  From what I am told, this can get a rifle dead on in 3 to 4 rounds.  $50 to $75 for a bore sighter or 4 rounds...I really don't think I need another "toy", er tool, to sit on my reloading bench.  We have a new 25 yard indoor range that just opened here in Lancaster and rifles up to 30.06 are welcome on the 25 yard range.  At least I can get my 6x6.8, my re-scoped 6.8 SPC, and my AR pistol with its new 1x prism sight all on paper inside  - out of the weather.  I'll load up some light 6x6.8 practice rounds in that soft brass I still have and at least get the gun operational until the new brass from Star Line arrives. 

Reminds me of the 2-shot method.

#13 ONLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

• Group:Members*
  • Member ID: 31,802

Posted Apr. 30 2018 - 06:23 PM

I think with an SS barrel you are SOL on the magnet style.  With your wildcat it puts you further behind the eight ball.  Ahhh the things we do to feed the addiction.  Since I just got a 6.8 I dont really know what the parent cartridge was.  You might get on paper with using the parent cartridge size in chamber sighter.  It wont be as accurate as the true sized but should suffice at close range I would think.

What is the percentage rate for SS barrels that are not magnet attractive ?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

#14 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Member ID: 17,756

Posted Apr. 30 2018 - 10:15 PM

What is the percentage rate for SS barrels that are not magnet attractive ?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I think most if not all SS barrels are heat treated and thus magnetic to a point though not as much as a non stainless barrel.

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center