New guy with a few pics of my AKs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   w30olds

w30olds

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 32,526

Posted Apr. 15 2018 - 03:09 PM

Own an M92 PAP and WASR-10/63. Here's a few pics of them. The WASR now sports all Magpul stock and a Ultimak gas tube with a Primary Arms micro dot. The M92 has an Ultimak tube and KAK shockwave brace.
0dcc4c92d3f1b04010b0a5f3b3218b8a.jpg8086618a9e62f1efcbc4e64fe6fbf3d6.jpga0edecc0a3ed2d0323a64883dc5883e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • alwyschmbrd likes this

#2 OFFLINE   longie

longie

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 23,957

Posted Apr. 15 2018 - 07:14 PM

Nice. Since my wife has recently made a large and unnecessary purchase, I am now in the Ak market. What advice and/or models would you recommend? Budget of approx $700. Possibly a tad more
  • w30olds likes this

Signature:
I cant figure out how to post pics or change my avatar 🤣

#3 OFFLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 24,941

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 12:20 AM

Nice. Since my wife has recently made a large and unnecessary purchase, I am now in the Ak market. What advice and/or models would you recommend? Budget of approx $700. Possibly a tad more

Let me just say, I am not an expert by any means, but this may (or may not) help you...

Not entirely sure if this still holds true or not, but a few years back, the U.S. was just getting into building AK's from scratch.  There were enough horror stories at the time to stay away from them.  Personally, when I look into purchasing an AK, I still look to foreign made for that reason. 

With that being said, for your price range, you might look into the Yugoslavian Zastava M70AB1/M70AB2, or N-Pap/O-Pap.  From what I understand, the O-Pap's are a 1.5mm receiver, the N-Pap's are 1mm.  The O-Pap's were originally constructed using parts kits from M70's until supplies ran dry, then they began constructing them using the same furniture as the N-Pap's, but they still retain a thicker RPK-style receiver, which could arguably produce better groups.  For the price, they are excellent rifles, built well, and are smooth as a Cadillac.  The downside, however, is that they aren't built to the same specs as the AKM, therefore if you are looking to "pimp your rifle", you may not have as many options available to you.    (M70AB2 and N-Pap DF are underfolders)

maxresdefault.jpg

You may also perhaps find a Saiga 7.62x39 around your price range.  It's a Russian rifle made in the Izhmash factory, the same factory as the original AK-47.  The kicker here, however, is that due to import regulations, these rifles came to the U.S. in a "sporting" configuration.  You can either do the work converting it yourself if you are handy, or find one that has already had the conversion done.  I've owned two Saiga .308's and currently still own a Saiga 12.  They are fairly well made firearms (the 12, I've had some issues with in the past), but the rifles I've had zero issues with whatsoever.

The 7.62x39 as it was imported:

wm_4029369.jpg

To give you an idea, this was my second .308 just before I sold it. On the 7.62x39, you do have to install a bullet guide to use AK-47/AKM mags, however:

eI1athQ.jpg

The VEPR series is similar to that of the Saiga series.  They, too, are Russian made and in a "sporting" configuration.  The difference, however, is that has an RPK style trunnion block, and a 1.5mm receiver.

Then, there's the Romanian WASR-10/63.  These rifles were imported and assembled by Century Arms for a long time, and depending on what year they were assembled, you might get a lemon or you might get lemonade.  In the early years, they were notorious for canted front sight blocks/gas blocks, bad rivet jobs, poorly fitted lower handguard retainers, etc.  These rifles, it's always best for a hands on inspection before putting money down.  I've heard that in their later years, the quality had gotten better, though.  From what I remember, these were brought in only capable of holding single stack (10rd.) magazines, but had their mag wells opened up to accept a double stack AK-47/AKM magazine.  Also, due to the lack of dimples in the receiver, there are plates welded to keep the magazines from wobbling excessively when seated.

128127799.TnAeveBV.ak47_08_topaz_1698.jp

• w30olds likes this

Signature:

Never forget.

We will not comply.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 33

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 09:06 AM

Nice collection of AKs.

• w30olds likes this

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#5 OFFLINE   w30olds

w30olds

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 32,526

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 09:21 AM

If you can find a Norinco Chinese AK for a good price they are nice. The newer WASR's seem to be well made. I've heard mixed reviews on the USA made RAS47 and C39s. Mainly because the soft metals in the bolts mushroom according to the AK gurus on the web. Arsenal makes good stuff, but they are pretty expensive. For the money it's hard to beat the Norinco, WASR-10, O-Pap, N-Pap, M92 and any of the Zastava made AK's. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by w30olds, Apr. 16 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 10:28 AM

My WASR is a pig with some lipstick on it...lol

gallery_24285_275_75275.jpg

• Joel74, alwyschmbrd and w30olds like this

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center