• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 3,430

Posted May. 01 2018 - 03:35 PM

A while back I put together an upper with a 20" fluted SS 1:8 Stoner barrel, on a Bootleg slab-side receiver, and a 15" Keymod HG. The thing is that it's never shot as well as I had hoped. I took the time to break it in right, tried an assortment of factory ammo through it, and it's done okay, but not great.

So today I went a little crazy and ordered a slab-side billet receiver, a 20" four-step hand lapped 1:7 SOCOM profile barrel made by Competition Solutions of Arizona, and another rifle length gas tube. I ordered two more mil-spec LPK's w/over-molded rubber grips, and two .750" low profile steel micro gas blocks last Saturday mostly because I have several stripped lowers and a nothing special upper without enough parts to assemble them.

My dilemma is what to actually do now. So I just sell the upper I'm not happy with? Do I tear it down? If so, what do I do with the Stoner barrel? Sell it off?(maybe Craig's List) Do I use the Bootleg upper with the new barrel? Or do I use the new billet upper? And do I buy another M-Loc HG, or reuse the Keymod?

What would y'all do? I'm open to suggestions. :dontknow:

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vince Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

#2 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

• Member ID: 21,495

Posted May. 01 2018 - 03:44 PM

Throw an 18inch barrel on the original and build another, sell the original 20" barrel.
I like mlok but if it's already set up for keymod roll with it.
Also could start looking into a different caliber using the old setup.
Too many options to list

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#3 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

• Member ID: 30,977

Posted May. 02 2018 - 05:00 AM

Looks like you got one of those Stoner/BCA misses. Most of the Stoner/BCA stuff is like you said, OK but not great. Hate to hear it but not surprised. I have a .300BO thats a hit.  If you do sell, give full disclosure, something like "I havent found the round it likes". Maybe include a couple of targets and let the buyer decide if it will work for what they want. You will probly have better luck selling the complete upper.  Most likely you will have it for a while but you never know.  If you do tear it apart, you can use the barrel for a tomato stake.

I am against having a box of parts that arent being used.  They tend to keep regenerating into rifles.  Keep using the keymod, there isnt anything wrong with it especially if you like to change accessories.  I have found keymod is a lot easier to change around but IMO M-lok looks better but to me, thats the only advantage.  There is a shatpile of keymod accessories out there.

Its all personal choice, good luck with it.

#4 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted May. 02 2018 - 03:56 PM

If you do tear it apart, you can use the barrel for a tomato stake.

Being stainless, it would make a damned fine tomato stake. Hell, I'd use it to prop open my garage door....if I had a garage. I'd even use it to beat the wife with, but I don't have one of those either.

I am against having a box of parts that arent being used.  They tend to keep regenerating into rifles.

I've got no problem with more rifles. I already have the lowers, so I might as well acquire the parts necessary to make them useful while they are still plentiful and cheap. Uppers to go with them is what I'm lacking, so that's where my focus will be for the next while.

Keep using the keymod, there isnt anything wrong with it especially if you like to change accessories.  I have found keymod is a lot easier to change around but IMO M-lok looks better but to me, thats the only advantage.  There is a shatpile of keymod accessories out there.

M-Lok is actually stronger, but it really doesn't matter on this one, as it isn't for anything but punching paper and exploding furry critters with. The only accessories it's likely to ever see are a sling receiver cup and a bipod. In reality, it's main purpose on this rifle is to protect the gas system. And odds are I won't be building another free float 20" in the foreseeable future, so I might as well save the $ that I'd have to spend on another handguard right now while my wallet is recovering. 

I'll most likely tear it down and re-use everything but the barrel. The Bootleg upper is too good to give away with the barrel. The barrel will wind up on Craig's List or Ebay, because I don't want to sell it to anyone that I know. And to be honest, for most people it would be fine. I'm just rather picky is all.

The Bootleg may go back in the parts box for a future build. It all depends on how I feel once I have the billet upper in my hands, as I'm contemplating a Grendel that might be a better choice for the billet. I'm mixing and matching a lot of parts now anyway. I just ordered an Athlon Optics Talos 4-14x44 FFP that will go on the 20" build first, but it may even end up on the Grendel eventually. Time will tell.

Throw an 18inch barrel on the original and build another, sell the original 20" barrel.
I like mlok but if it's already set up for keymod roll with it.
Also could start looking into a different caliber using the old setup.
Too many options to list

I've already got an 18" upper with a quad-rail, so I really don't need another.

As mentioned above, a Grendel is one option that I'm seriously considering. I've already got two done in .300BLK, so a Grendel is the next logical option by my way of thinking.

#5 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted May. 07 2018 - 03:32 PM

All the parts I ordered are in. The billet upper looks good, but I'll check the thread extension to see how square it and the Bootleg are before choosing one for the build.

The barrel looks good too, but the proof is in the pudding. The company boasts sub 0.5 MOA @ 100yds with the usual match quality ammo qualifier. We'll see how true that claim is in the coming weeks. I'm moving my reloading station upstairs, and once it's situated I've got some 77gr pills to work up a load for just for this build.

The Athlon Talos 4-14x44 APLR2 FFP appears to be excellent glass for the $. There is zero distortion and amazing clarity regardless of magnification. I can't wait to put it to use. It's an American made scope with an unconditional warranty. They don't even bother with registration. If anything at all goes south you send it back and they'll fix it.....period.

Now I want to pick up another FCG. I had an opportunity to shoot a Rock River match rifle last weekend that had their NM two-stage trigger, and it was sweet! I'm thinking that their two-stage varmint might be the one I go for. Money is in the account for it, so I just need to find one at the best price. So far $90 shipped is the cheapest I've found.

After tomorrow my work load eases up a bunch for about three weeks, so this is going to come together real soon. It would be an understatement to say that I'm excited!

I'm hoping to be exploding woodchucks in the very near future. :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

• Member ID: 21,495

Posted May. 07 2018 - 03:51 PM

Being stainless, it would make a damned fine tomato stake. Hell, I'd use it to prop open my garage door....if I had a garage. I'd even use it to beat the wife with, but I don't have one of those either.

I've got no problem with more rifles. I already have the lowers, so I might as well acquire the parts necessary to make them useful while they are still plentiful and cheap. Uppers to go with them is what I'm lacking, so that's where my focus will be for the next while.

M-Lok is actually stronger, but it really doesn't matter on this one, as it isn't for anything but punching paper and exploding furry critters with. The only accessories it's likely to ever see are a sling receiver cup and a bipod. In reality, it's main purpose on this rifle is to protect the gas system. And odds are I won't be building another free float 20" in the foreseeable future, so I might as well save the $ that I'd have to spend on another handguard right now while my wallet is recovering. 

I'll most likely tear it down and re-use everything but the barrel. The Bootleg upper is too good to give away with the barrel. The barrel will wind up on Craig's List or Ebay, because I don't want to sell it to anyone that I know. And to be honest, for most people it would be fine. I'm just rather picky is all.

The Bootleg may go back in the parts box for a future build. It all depends on how I feel once I have the billet upper in my hands, as I'm contemplating a Grendel that might be a better choice for the billet. I'm mixing and matching a lot of parts now anyway. I just ordered an Athlon Optics Talos 4-14x44 FFP that will go on the 20" build first, but it may even end up on the Grendel eventually. Time will tell.

I've already got an 18" upper with a quad-rail, so I really don't need another.
As mentioned above, a Grendel is one option that I'm seriously considering. I've already got two done in .300BLK, so a Grendel is the next logical option by my way of thinking.

When I posted, I wasn't privy to that information.

#7 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted May. 07 2018 - 04:25 PM

When I posted, I wasn't privy to that information.

NBD. I just figured that I'd let you know that there was a reason I wasn't looking at 18" barrels this time around.

The one that I have is a Hardened Arms built upper. The first one I got shot like poo, so I sent it back. The one they replaced it with was much better, and produced a .515" 100yd group with American Eagle 55gr ammo (which I thought was pretty amazing). There may be another 18" in my future, but not right now.

#8 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted May. 07 2018 - 09:17 PM

Cheapest RRA NM Varmint trigger I found was $88 shipped at AR15Sales.com.

http://www.ar15sales.../miscparts.html

I ordered one. Now another wait. :tap: I've never bought from them before, but if this goes well I may order another one.

I almost went ahead and ordered two this time, but then I started thinking.......

#9 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted May. 19 2018 - 10:48 AM

Upper is all set. I screwed the barrel on the Bootleg receiver, reused the gas block/tube, Keymod HG, Toolcraft BCG, and have the Athlon Talos BTR mounted ready to sight in.

New RR 2-stage varmint trigger ships today, and I just ordered a Luth-AR MBA-1 stock kit. The lower parts will go on/into a Spikes Crusader lower I've got sitting in my parts box. Now I just need to decide on a bipod to finish it up.

As soon as the rain & wind give me a break I'll pin the upper on my Punisher lower with a 3lb drop-in and sight it in.

#10 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted May. 19 2018 - 11:38 AM

Upper is all set. I screwed the barrel on the Bootleg receiver, reused the gas block/tube, Keymod HG, Toolcraft BCG, and have the Athlon Talos BTR mounted ready to sight in.

New RR 2-stage varmint trigger ships today, and I just ordered a Luth-AR MBA-1 stock kit. The lower parts will go on/into a Spikes Crusader lower I've got sitting in my parts box. Now I just need to decide on a bipod to finish it up.

As soon as the rain & wind give me a break I'll pin the upper on my Punisher lower with a 3lb drop-in and sight it in.

You will like that trigger. Mine has been flawless over many thousands of rounds.

• Longhair likes this

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Accuracy over OCD !

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center