Please advise, problem with barrel nut removal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NewARBuilder87

NewARBuilder87

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 32,563

Posted May. 12 2018 - 12:51 AM

So if y'all ran your eyes over my 1st post here, What got me in to the AR, you know I'm only 6 months in to the wonderful world of the AR platform, but me being me, decided to jump in head-first by building my first AR. Probably did 2 months of reading up before I ordering a single part, but fast forward to now, I'm at the end of the build part, just need to swap barrels from the one that came with the upper to the one I bought for the build, problem is, I can't for the life of me get the d@$* barrel nut off, and I'm running out of ideas. The upper was bought very slightly used from a gentlemen who got it from a Dallas gun show, so he didn't know too much about it. What sucks is I NEED the barrel nut I'm trying to remove, since I don't know the make or manufacturer of the rail, cutting it is not on my list, as I wouldn't know where to find an exact replacement to hold the handguard. My upper is currently being held in upper blocks in my vice, with me running out of options, if anyone knows any tricks, I would be forever grateful for you sharing your knowledge. I'll attach a pic of the barrel nut. Also, if you're around the San Antonio area and think its within your ability, the 16" barrel you remove, you can have, along with the A2 flash hider, gas block, and gas tube if you want it for the assistance, e-mail at luckysowa23@gmail.com, thanks ahead of time to everyone87d045cd0f548a9eb0a0d22a88ecfb0a.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

#2 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff
  • Member ID: 22,192

Posted May. 12 2018 - 01:00 AM

I have an 18" Cresent wrench that would grab right onto that on those flats....but I'm no where near you.

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Accuracy over OCD !

#3 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 24,285

Posted May. 12 2018 - 03:08 AM

Take a stab in the dark and say that looks like it may be a 1 3/16 Inch crescent wrench across the flats. Or the large adjustable crescent wrench might be your ticket as said above. The flats being the rectangular cutouts in the middle.

Edited by gshayd, May. 12 2018 - 03:11 AM.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#4 ONLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 16,628

Posted May. 12 2018 - 05:12 AM

Well, I'll be driving through San Antonio later today. However, I don't think momma is gonna let me stop to help a buddy out on her weekend. We are heading to Corpus. Can you measure the flats to see what size it is? Maybe you can go down to one of the parts stores and rent a wrench?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#5 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Member ID: 31,419

Posted May. 12 2018 - 07:17 AM

Your post implies you have made removal attempts. What have you done to include tools used?

#6 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted May. 12 2018 - 11:18 AM

I don't think he has made any attempts yet.   

#7 OFFLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Member ID: 31,419

Posted May. 12 2018 - 05:26 PM

I don't think he has made any attempts yet.   

Oh. Do those flat have cut-outs in the middle or am I not viewing this well?

Just thought he had. "...... I can't for the life of me get the d@$* barrel nut off, and I'm running out of ideas."

Edited by bamashooter, May. 12 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 21,495

Posted May. 12 2018 - 05:52 PM

You could try a little heat. if your not comfortable with that, or think your going to chew it up, I would take it to a gun smith, around my area if you offered the old parts they would probably do it for free and put the new barrel on for you.
  • towtruck likes this

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#9 OFFLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 26,113

Posted May. 13 2018 - 02:54 AM

Most crescent wrenchs are to wide on the jaws. For those type of nuts i have a wrench i milled down to fit. Either way i am with derk on the heat. Just heat it up take a ball peen and tap the wrench till she pops loose.

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

#10 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted May. 13 2018 - 05:26 AM

You could try a little heat. if your not comfortable with that, or think your going to chew it up, I would take it to a gun smith, around my area if you offered the old parts they would probably do it for free and put the new barrel on for you.

Even if he wanted a reasonable fee instead of unknown parts, it might well be worth the price since you need that barrel nut removed unmolested. 

There is an outside chance he might be able to identify the maker of the rail, if he specializes in AR's. 

If you have your trigger group installed, you could also bring your lower in, and I bet he would look at that for no additional fee.

Just have him name his price before you ask him about your lower.   :segrin:  However, the price charged may depend on how long it takes him...

This is not a commentary on your build skills, I have never built a rifle. It's just how my mind works...if he is willing to take a look at FCG while you are there,

why not ? 

Welcome to the board, and good luck !

John

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#11 OFFLINE   NewARBuilder87

NewARBuilder87

• Group:New Members
  • Member ID: 32,563

Posted May. 14 2018 - 08:30 PM

First off, let me start by apologizing for not responding sooner, work has been crazy, and I'm not GLUED to my phone, much... But thank you all for your tips and responses, all invaluable info. The good news is, I GOT IT!!! It only took a 12in crescent wrench and a 7ft improvised breaker bar, upper blocks and vice of course with probably 4-6 days of constant lubricating. From there, it was relatively easy, minus the rail, having to line up the barrel nut just right took some time, but managed to get that too. I'll attach photos, LMK what y'all think, I love comments, but also don't mind criticism, I'm new so I welcome EVERYONE'S opinion, good or bad. Thank y'all again for the advice, I'm sure I'll see y'all around the forums, I'm here to stay!!!

b73cfe1c083d302fc1dc10e6e341c9fb.jpgc3fda729227a6392fbc8daa64af93ec3.jpg1e344330276cf6bf92f7a808cff9948f.jpgabc268b20767489f32764734a23f134d.jpg27bf917595e0a0f750bf90e1b8a5a91e.jpg7468425b0879b87dc0320dc152dc1ee2.jpg

Edited by NewARBuilder87, May. 14 2018 - 08:32 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff
  • Member ID: 7,056

Posted May. 16 2018 - 09:05 AM

Congratulations on your success. I sure would-like to know who made that nut/HG.

Out of curiosity was there any kind of sealant etc. inside the nut/threads?

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center