733 Commando(ish)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

• Group:Members
  • Member ID: 30,977

Posted May. 12 2018 - 01:52 PM

Ever since I saw a pic of a 733 Commando I knew I wanted one.  Recently PSA put their 11.5" complete upper on sale for $179.99/free ship so I bought one.  I built the BCP M16 A2 engraved lower Ive been saving over a year for this build.  Since I dont have an SBR stamp, this iteration is wearing the SB M4 pistol brace so officially it is a pistol.  I also dropped dime on a close to correct C.A.R. stock and 4 position buffer tube from M&A after Professor Tack pointed me in the right direction.  I also picked up a Guntec 5.5" muzzle device to extend the barrel to legal length with a pin and weld but I am thinking I will keep the pistol brace for a while.  Ive adjusted the sling where it brings the rif...errr...pistol to the correct sight picture and I kinda like it.  When I have a spare $200 that I dont mind sitting around at the ATF, I will apply for that stamp.

So here it is.  Should I go with this or put on the carbine stock and do the pin and weld?

uU6u5fB.jpg

Edited by hlhneast, May. 12 2018 - 01:58 PM.

• Flesh Wound, Bentwrench, bamashooter and 1 other like this

#2 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted May. 12 2018 - 01:56 PM

Leave it as-is. It looks swank.

Edited by Flesh Wound, May. 12 2018 - 01:56 PM.

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges.
I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

"Good times create weak men. Weak men create bad times. Bad times create strong men. Strong men create good times." 

#3 ONLINE   Forsaken352

Forsaken352

• Member ID: 24,941

Posted May. 12 2018 - 02:01 PM

I agree with FW, leave it.  It's also nice to be able to take it out of state if you travel.  More of a hassle for an SBR.

Signature:

Never forget.

We will not comply.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted May. 12 2018 - 02:37 PM

I agree with FW, leave it.  It's also nice to be able to take it out of state if you travel.  More of a hassle for an SBR.

I knda like it the way it is too.  As far as the out of state thing, some of the locales I visit it will make no difference.  I wouldnt be able to convince them it is a pistol anyway, lol.

#5 ONLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

• Group:Gold Patron
  • Member ID: 30,474

Posted May. 12 2018 - 02:51 PM

Steve, not really a 733 Commando based build, but a 933/935 M4 Commando based build. The 733 Commando had an A1, C7, and A2 upper receiver. The 933/935 had a flat-top upper receiver.
  • hlhneast likes this

Signature:
"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector since 2004
Oath Keeper member
III% United Patriots member

Posted Image

#6 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Member ID: 31,419

Posted May. 12 2018 - 05:16 PM

I like it. Leave as is. Don't give the bastiages the satisfaction of shaking you down for 200 smackers. Screw 'em. Nice build.

• Flesh Wound and hlhneast like this

Signature:

This is my last build.

#7 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted May. 12 2018 - 09:23 PM

Steve, not really a 733 Commando based build, but a 933/935 M4 Commando based build. The 733 Commando had an A1, C7, and A2 upper receiver. The 933/935 had a flat-top upper receiver.

Thanks for the education,Tack!  I did not know there was an 11.5" M4.  I had to Google it to see an example,  I thought the Mk18 was the next in line.  All in all I could probly use about a weeks worth of history lessons from the Professor.  :)

In this example, it does look a lot like the M4.  Part of the reason I decided on the SB M4 brace is the look of an M4 stock.  When and if I obtain the stamp, the whole rifle will get the proper treatment.  A correct carry handle upper will take the place of the flat top.  Do you have another FN stashed somewhere, lol?  I still have the seven hole hand guard on it as well.   Since its officially a pistol, I took liberties with it including an ambi charge handle and safety.   Those will go as well.  Until then it will look like the 933/35.

#8 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

• Member ID: 7,742

Posted May. 13 2018 - 01:45 AM

You could pin and weld one of these https://www.griffina...cer-p/gasp3.htmor these https://www.griffinarmament.com/GP5-5-56-Suppressor-p/gagp5.htm to get you ovef 16" and then add a stock.

:D:

#9 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted May. 13 2018 - 05:15 AM

You could pin and weld one of these https://www.griffina...cer-p/gasp3.htmor these https://www.griffinarmament.com/GP5-5-56-Suppressor-p/gagp5.htm to get you ovef 16" and then add a stock.

:D:

:drool5:  Well I sure wouldnt save any money and still have to wait.  It certainly would be sweet.

#10 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron
  • Member ID: 19,861

Posted May. 13 2018 - 06:51 AM

I would keep it as is. That brace blends in extremely well.

I think it looks fantastic, and fills a great defense need with no muss, no fuss. 

Is removing the Velcro strap from the brace verboten ?  

• hlhneast likes this

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#11 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted May. 13 2018 - 07:43 AM

I think it looks fantastic, and fills a great defense need with no muss, no fuss. 

I am not sure about the removal but the velcro strap keeps the brace together.  It isnt solid like the side view might imply.  Its actually two hard rubber "wings" that drop down from where it attaches to the buffer tube.

#12 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

• Member ID: 7,742

Posted May. 13 2018 - 10:12 AM

There has been discussion from batef folks about modifying the brace in such a way that it no longer works as a brace being an invite for legal problems. Leaving the strap there avoids this issue, and as you said keeps it together so it braces better anyway.

#13 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron
  • Member ID: 26,245

Posted May. 13 2018 - 12:15 PM

I am not sure about the removal but the velcro strap keeps the brace together.  It isnt solid like the side view might imply.  Its actually two hard rubber "wings" that drop down from where it attaches to the buffer tube.

There has been discussion from batef folks about modifying the brace in such a way that it no longer works as a brace being an invite for legal problems. Leaving the strap there avoids this issue, and as you said keeps it together so it braces better anyway.

I read somewhere the BATFE considers the removal of the strap to be a modification and that negates the legality of the brace. Now, I saw this somewhere on the Intarwebz so this may be lore. But considering the BATFE has flip-flopped on the legality of these braces I'll not tempt the crazy side of The Gods. I'm leaving the strap on mine. Even if I don't use it.

I really wish a stamp was not required for an SBR. I really like the handiness of these "pistol" configs of the AR. I like it enough to keep my pistol around. I'd love it if it were an SBR. But like others I am not paying the ATF $200 for permission.

#14 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted May. 14 2018 - 04:38 AM

I really wish a stamp was not required for an SBR. I really like the handiness of these "pistol" configs of the AR. I like it enough to keep my pistol around. I'd love it if it were an SBR. But like others I am not paying the ATF $200 for permission.

I do find it crazy that you have to spend $200 and wait months for the ATF to give permission to you to own a rifle with a length limit arbitrarily set.  If I was a crook/mafia/drug dealer, this money would be a drop in the bucket.  For the normal person the $200 fee is ridiculous and expensive.  If the SBR rule went away, I dont see a bunch of SBR's being used in crime.  Even in that configuration I believe they are still too large and true pistols will still be the choice of criminals.

#15 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Member ID: 24,285

Posted May. 17 2018 - 11:08 AM

yup you remove that strap and you have modified the device.  

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#16 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted Jun. 08 2018 - 03:48 AM

Ive been scanning the EE and scored this proper complete A2 carry handle upper.  I am not sure who manufactured it.  Its a Cerro forging and has an engraved "L" on the take down pin tang.  Anyone seen this marking before?

UOFWvDo.jpg

A pic of the "L" stamping

NOpuorR.jpg

#17 OFFLINE   Blacktree

Blacktree

Snowflake Repellant

• Member ID: 18,206

Posted Jun. 09 2018 - 11:01 AM

If you decide to do the pin-n-weld thing, let me know. There's a 5.5" flash hider in the parts bin that I'll probably never use. You can have it cheap.

• hlhneast likes this

#18 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted Jun. 12 2018 - 10:30 AM

If you decide to do the pin-n-weld thing, let me know. There's a 5.5" flash hider in the parts bin that I'll probably never use. You can have it cheap.

Thanks brother.  I already have everything I need.  I bought it all to see which way I wanted to go.

#19 OFFLINE   wish2no

wish2no

• Member ID: 21,647

Posted Jun. 12 2018 - 12:01 PM

Very nice.  I would not make any changes.

• hlhneast likes this

Signature:

“You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws….” ~ John Adams

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” [Marbury vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174,176 (1803)]

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." [Miranda vs. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491 (1966)]

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]

"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights." [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

"Constitutional rights may not be denied simply because of hostility to their assertion and exercise: Vindication of conceded constitutional rights cannot be made dependent upon any theory that it is less expensive to deny them than to afford them."
[Watson vs. City of Memphis, 373 US 526, 535 (1963)]

"The state cannot diminish Rights of the people." [Hurtado vs. California, 110 US 516 (1884)]
“No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” [16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256]

“A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.”

–  Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center